Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Only the biggest small towns in Oklahoma are probably worth considering. Other than Enid, Stillwater may be worth considering. It may have more IT jobs.

In Stillwater, if you work at OSU or a student, you're entitled to free bus service. Everybody else, unless qualified for a discount pays .75.

Min. wage is $7.25, but I bet only few people get paid that little.

If you work at a popular restaurant in Stillwater, such as the Hideaway, you can probably make enough in tip income to get by well, while finding a better paying job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Oklahoma has tornadoes, earthquakes and occasionally real bad weather such as black ice and flash floods. There is always insurance.
Ok, but what about utilities? How high do they usually run for a one bedroom apartment? Electric, gas, cable, phone, internet? Can you give me an estimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:56 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
I live near downtown OKC in a one-bedroom apartment. Here are my latest bills: electricity = $65, gas = $25, cell phone = $55, cable+internet = $140.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura14891 View Post
What's the tornado activity like in Stillwater? I don't mind bad weather, but would be a bit worried about my home getting destroyed and losing everything.
Stillwater hasn't had a serious tornado with wide spread damage since 1990. Since then there are at least one or two tornado warnings issued every year but the tornadoes have gone around Stillwater or gone back in the clouds. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Stillwater hasn't had a serious tornado with wide spread damage since 1990. Since then there are at least one or two tornado warnings issued every year but the tornadoes have gone around Stillwater or gone back in the clouds. Hopefully, it stays that way.
I am going use my vacation time to schedule a Greyhound bus trip to check out the Stillwater area very soon. I want to know if I'll like it there, before moving. Going to stay a weekend, and book a motel. Any recommendations? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...ma-Hotels.html

Old 07-28-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I am going use my vacation time to schedule a Greyhound bus trip to check out the Stillwater area very soon. I want to know if I'll like it there, before moving. Going to stay a weekend, and book a motel. Any recommendations? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...ma-Hotels.html
This: About us If you want a better hotel, like Microtel, they are along Hall of Fame Ave. There are other motels on W. 6th, like Motel 6, but are not centrally located and so are further from everything, not good, if you're not renting a car.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
This: About us If you want a better hotel, like Microtel, they are along Hall of Fame Ave. There are other motels on W. 6th, like Motel 6, but are not centrally located and so are further from everything, not good, if you're not renting a car.
What is there to do in downtown Stillwater? Can you get around without a car? As for shopping, where would you go get groceries, clothes, or basic necessities such as soap and tooth paste?

Last edited by laura14891; 07-28-2017 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
What is there to do in downtown Stillwater? Can you get around without a car? As for shopping, where would you go get groceries, clothes, or basic necessities such as soap and tooth paste?
Like in other small towns, people shop at Wal-Mart or the strip malls for what they need. Stillwater loves Wal-Mart so much that there are two super centers plus a Walmart Neighborhood Center. If you don't like the grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, there are three grocery stores to choose from. One is them is called Sprouts, similar to Whole Foods. There are at least two small international food markets.

Downtown has around 6 restaurants, one bar, a small enclosed mall of several stores and a salon, including a jewelry store. Also there are various professional offices, including banks, typical downtown stuff. However, many of the stores sell used clothes, used household items and antiques. It's how downtown tries to stay alive competing with Wal-Mart and the strip malls. In other words, try selling what Wal-Mart doesn't. The downtown community center sometimes has concerts. On some Friday evenings, downtown puts on a block party with a gathering of food trucks and a live band.

Citizens without cars use OSU's bus service. It stops at the major shopping areas, apartment complexes and downtown. No bus service on Sat. and Sun. Living between downtown and OSU would be close to a number of things, including one of the Wal-Marts. Most of the streets in that area have sidewalks. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a one bedroom place. It's close to the time of year when more people than usual are trying to get settled. Stillwater has a Craigslist, if you want to look there.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:00 AM

436 posts, read 579,107 times
Quote:
I have an Associates Degree in Information Technology, as well as A+ Certification. I am unable to get a job in my field here, because no one is hiring right now. However, I build and repair computers on the side to make a little extra money from time to time. Minimum wage here is around $9.50/hr, or a little lower depending on where you are. I am not sure what it is in Oklahoma, or if they have a need for people in the IT field, defiantly something to look into though.
Laura,

This is an excellent start, instead of leading with were can you get a cheap apartment in a decent town I think you should lead with where can you get a good job for your education where there is affordable living.

With your educational background have you considered getting your CCNA? A very close friend's son was working as an assistant manager at Subway making next to nothing. This person went back to school, got the same degree and certification that you have but also got his CCNA. Then he cast his net far and wide looking for entry level network analyst. After 2 years the young man went from broken down cars, bad apartments, near poverty level to owning his own home, driving a newer car and making $60K a year all with adding the CCNA certification to his resume. Now I will say he had issues finding that first job and it only started at $35K but even at $35K he broke out of the minimum wage grind. Also if he were willing to move to a larger metropolitan area than he lives now he could be making $90K a year but he loves where he lives and the life he has there.

Network analyst with the CCNA cert could be a path for you. Technology companies will hire entry level people especially if they have their CCNA. Most of Oklahoma you are probably going to need a car, but if you get into a higher wage bracket you can afford one. While you may be interested in only living in smaller cities, if you find a job in Tulsa or Oklahoma City you can always move to one of the smaller suburbs or smaller towns surrounding the larger metropolitan areas. Consider other states as well in your career pursuit.

The one comment I will make on Enid is that I was there 2 months ago and I was surprised to see how many homeless people were there. I can't give you first hand information on Enid's economy but it is a smaller town with a limited number of employers. As I said, lead with the job and not this is a cheap place to live.

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 07-29-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 09:07 AM

24,284 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post

The one comment I will make on Enid is that I was there 2 months ago and I was surprised to see how many homeless people were there. I can't give you first hand information on Enid's economy but it is a smaller town with a limited number of employers. As I said, lead with the job and not this is a cheap place to live.
I was in Enid last weekend (22 July 2017) and didn't see any, but it was also 105F... perhaps they left due to the somewhat depressed economy there right now. Shades of 1984, overreliance on energy extraction, although wind power is hiring like crazy there, a new farm of several hundred turbines planned for the Carrier-Helena area.

As an aside, anyone who liked the Plainview Winery in Lahoma and their sweet fruit wines will have to look elsewhere; permanently closed now.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
Laura,

No, Enid certainly isn't a smaller town as small towns go in Oklahoma. It's actually one of the biggest small towns in Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City