Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
We live in Georgetown, Tx (Austin area) now and are looking at Edmond for a job and because the taxes will be much lower. Taxes for the house we were looking at were at 3.1% which would put them around $9000 plus. Considering it's a new build they could be much higher. Every house we look at has taxes no lower than $8000. I'll take the $4800 you found in Edmond any day. I'm hoping my husband gets the job so the taxes here won't kill us.
Homeowners insurance in OK is high, too. You have tornadoes and earthquakes. Also, wait until you see how much higher your grocery bill is. I think most every state “gets you” in one way or another. I hope you like it there!92655024
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 AM

240 posts, read 344,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Between real estate taxes, income tax, grocery tax and some odds and ends it almost levels out. You will find medical services that are unbelievable in Edmond!
When you say unbelievable do you mean good or outrageous in price? I think what makes it so scary is having to either put that extra $1000 a month or more into my mortgage or coming up with it when taxes are due. For me the other taxes come out in smaller amounts so it’s not as noticeable as the amount I stated above.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
When you say unbelievable do you mean good or outrageous in price? I think what makes it so scary is having to either put that extra $1000 a month or more into my mortgage or coming up with it when taxes are due. For me the other taxes come out in smaller amounts so it’s not as noticeable as the amount I stated above.
I do not understand your post. As homeowner you have a pretty good idea what your property taxes are and when they are due. What is scary about that?

Old 09-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I do not understand your post. As homeowner you have a pretty good idea what your property taxes are and when they are due. What is scary about that?
Since the home we are under contract for is a new build we don't really have an idea what the taxes will be. It all depends on what the house is assessed at and in my previous post I said a ballpark of what I think they will be. My question in the post you responded to was about medical services and whether you were saying they were good or not. I'm not from Texas so I've had state taxes. I'm actually from Ca but have lived other places with lower property taxes and state taxes. This will be our first house in Tx if we don't move so that's why it's a concern for me.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:56 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Since the home we are under contract for is a new build we don't really have an idea what the taxes will be. It all depends on what the house is assessed at and in my previous post I said a ballpark of what I think they will be. My question in the post you responded to was about medical services and whether you were saying they were good or not. I'm not from Texas so I've had state taxes. I'm actually from Ca but have lived other places with lower property taxes and state taxes. This will be our first house in Tx if we don't move so that's why it's a concern for me.
Why are you posting in OK when your tax question is in TX. You can pull comps in your neighbor hood up on tax assessor's site. That will give you a rough idea. Be prepared for annual increases. Generally home stead requires ownership and residence on January 1.

IRS.gov offers tax calculators.

Medical services in OKC larger area have been awesome for us. DFW was not bad.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:08 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
As a rule of thumb Oklahoma property tax will be 1/3 to 1/2 as high as Texas depending on where you are moving from and where you are moving to. However as the ThreeStepper said, by the time you add in personal income tax, grocery tax, higher house insurance. (Probably 25-30% higher than central Texas) it comes out about the same.

Edmond and Georgetown are somewhat similar in that they were both functioning small college towns with a decent core before they became suburbs. The advantage of Edmond over Georgetown is that you are a lot closer to the core of the metro than Georgetown is to Austin with the offsetting issue that Austin has more amenities than OKC.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Why are you posting in OK when your tax question is in TX. You can pull comps in your neighbor hood up on tax assessor's site. That will give you a rough idea. Be prepared for annual increases. Generally home stead requires ownership and residence on January 1.

IRS.gov offers tax calculators.

Medical services in OKC larger area have been awesome for us. DFW was not bad.
I'm posting in OK because as I stated earlier my husband is looking at possibly taking a job in Edmond. Although we are under contract to build in Tx he is looking at better pay in Edmond. So my statements were making a comparison between the property taxes in both areas.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As a rule of thumb Oklahoma property tax will be 1/3 to 1/2 as high as Texas depending on where you are moving from and where you are moving to. However as the ThreeStepper said, by the time you add in personal income tax, grocery tax, higher house insurance. (Probably 25-30% higher than central Texas) it comes out about the same.

Edmond and Georgetown are somewhat similar in that they were both functioning small college towns with a decent core before they became suburbs. The advantage of Edmond over Georgetown is that you are a lot closer to the core of the metro than Georgetown is to Austin with the offsetting issue that Austin has more amenities than OKC.
Thank you for your response. I've been trying to do research in comparing all the things you mentioned and have some idea. To give you some info I did compare insurance and taxes and with the taxes being so high in Georgetown even with the higher home insurance based on what I've seen our mortgage would still be lower in Edmond . Add to that the fact that my husband makes a 35-40 minute commute one way each day to work because the schools are better in Georgetown vs Temple adds more. In Edmond we could live in the city he works in because schools seem to be good there. My older boys play baseball and the programs seem good at the high schools. I've also seen homes with better size lots and we don't mind state taxes since we've always had it before moving here.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:23 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
I bought a house in Edmond and while I don't love Edmond (or OK in general) I love my house and it was very reasonably priced. I could sell it in a week if I got a job in another city (hopefully that happens). I have a view of woods and lots of trees, which makes me feel like I'm not in Oklahoma. Exactly what I was looking for. My view reminds me of Georgia. Couldn't ask for more if I'm stuck here.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I bought a house in Edmond and while I don't love Edmond (or OK in general) I love my house and it was very reasonably priced. I could sell it in a week if I got a job in another city (hopefully that happens). I have a view of woods and lots of trees, which makes me feel like I'm not in Oklahoma. Exactly what I was looking for. My view reminds me of Georgia. Couldn't ask for more if I'm stuck here.
Considering we moved to Tx from Ga if I had a house that reminded me of there that would be great. What is it you don't like about Edmond? Do you have kids? I'm looking for all info since it's now a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City