Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,116 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

We will be relocating to the OKC area around April 1st and I have several questions for you guys

Do insurance rates on home and auto vary by county there? If so, how do they compare in Edmond vs Yukon?

Do any of you homeschool your kiddos vs public school? If so, would you please give me some of your reasons/concerns that make you choose homeschool over public school in either of these two places.(Edmond or Yukon)

Someone mentioned to me that I may need flood or earthquake insurance in some places in Oklahoma. Is that so, and would either of the above mentioned places need either of those insurances? or would it vary by location in the county and not be blanket over the county?

Any plants or trains that would make either area, or parts of either area, mentioned above to be desired to stay away from for either smell or sound?

Work location will be around Will Rogers Airport. Would either Edmond or Yukon be an OK commute? I would prefer the less congested route, so if I should shy away from one due to the commute please inform I also would like a nice back road type ride to work option, as I have a motorcycle and enjoy my drive to and from work in the months that weather permits. Any advice or suggestions for where to live to be able to find this type of route?

We are a conservative family with 3 kiddos still in school. 2 in High School and 1 in Elementary. Would like an area that has active 4H with archery, rifling, sewing or programs of the such and more. Undecided on Homeschool vs Public School, as we now Homeschool due to the schools that we are zoned in where we currently live. If we Public School, we would like a good school, with a good environment, career paths, dual credit opportunity, engineering or medical classes if possible as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated. We do prefer to be in an area that may attract tornados a little less, lol, and we do like trees in lieu of just prairie land

Thanks for any info/advice/suggestions in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 01:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Edmond would have the trees east of I-35, but would be a further commute than Yukon. Moore mainly has the bad reputation for F-5 tornadoes. Earthquakes in Oklahoma aren't near as common anymore. Most insurance companies don't offer earthquake insurance. Most people don't buy flood insurance. Just be smart enough not to locate near a creek or other place that has a bad reputation for flooding after a heavy rain.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 PM

24,462 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Pull up any map. Leisurely bike ride to Will Rogers is not very likely.

If you want to stay around 30-45 minutes your options are Yukon, Mustang, Newcastle, Moore, Norman.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,116 times
Thanks for the replies! I assumed on the flood info that there would be flood areas but was making sure it wasn't blanket in some counties, as I know each state does things a little differently.

On the bike ride, I know looking on the map, it looks like there may not be a good back road but it looked the same for the area that we are in now but we happened to find a small almost one lane back road that meandered down and came back out by the interstate, so I was just thinking it didn't hurt to ask in case someone was more familiar with the area there that may have known of one similar.

Thanks again for the replies

Old 02-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Newcastle , Blanchard even Mustang has some back roads but I hope your suspension and rear are up to it. I know nothing about the Edmond side of town but that my dream home ended up to be perfect and smack in the middle of "do not go".
I checked around for shooting but that seems to be "homeschooling" in general. Google Canadian County Sheriff armorer or call Reno Community College for the Introduction to Guns instructor. Ask your questions.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:15 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Commuting by bicycle is pretty difficult due to the weather but if you are going to do it you need to be in Mustang. It's a straight shot west of the airport and there are several back roads you can take. Also you don't have to buck the prevalent north or south winds. You will have a cross wind 85 to 90% of the time. And when you don't generally the wind won't be that strong. That area is fairly flat as well

Mustang is a pretty nice suburban town and of all the really upscale nice suburban towns around OKC it is probably the most conservative. Because it is located close to the Canadian River there are some natural trees there although as was mentioned earlier if you want thick stands of natural trees your options are east Edmond (actually the entire east half of Edmond is really green, or Choctaw, OK area on the east edge of the metro.

Moore is a straight shot east of the airport but it isn't naturally green. Newcastle is a quick drive down i-44 and is appreciably smaller than most of the other towns and is also a very conservative area. You could ride to work from Moore but there would be more traffic on roads going to the airport from Moore. Newcastle would require you to ride on the Interstate across the river bridge that would be suicidal.

Yukon is pretty close to the airport and is north of Mustang but given your post I'd take Mustang over Yukon. Biking from there would be really dangerous due to traffic.

Mustang Schools are excellent, Edmond schools are excellent and Yukon schools are really good as well. There are going to be some private Christian schools around the area as well. Oklahoma makes it pretty easy to home school.

Mustang has a bunch of nice housing inventory unless you want a really nice old house. Not many of those but from the 70s to brand new. There are lots of them. If you want a really nice old home there are some in Yukon.

On taxes I wouldn't imagine Canadian County and Oklahoma County would be that much different. Sales Tax is probably a little less in Canadian County but each city sales tax can be significantly difference.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 AM

Eddie - OP does not want to pedal to work.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Eddie - OP does not want to pedal to work.
Motorcyle. Gotcha!! I missed the motor part.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Motorcyle. Gotcha!! I missed the motor part.
Blanchard may be an option. Apparently Mustang ORTC is doing well. The rifle team made front page of the local paper. The HS has a pretty good archery team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City