U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 01:22 PM

48 posts, read 52,699 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me identify / rank the schools in the OKC area? We are looking at property and I want to make sure the public schools (ranging from elem to HS) are good. Any specific ones to avoid?

Right now, our list includes the following cities: OKC, Edmond, Del City, Moore, Norman but feel free to throw in other areas because we might expand our search some. Distance to job is not relevant for this discussion.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM

25 posts, read 10,391 times
Greatschools.org is a great place to start to get some idea of their current ratings. Things can change quickly in Oklahoma City. Good public school can become not so good schools over a relatively short period of time. Oklahoma City public schools are not good. There are charter schools but those have also gone downhill over the last few years. Belle Isle Elementary charter is still good (grades 6-8). Wilson and Nichols Hills Elementary are OK. If you want consistently good schools, I would focus on Edmond. The schools are consistently good k-12. Also Deer Creek. I think Moore and Norman have strongish high schools. Again I would use the website I talked about. As far as I'm concerned, the only good place to live in OKC is the Nichols Hills, Crown Heights, Mesta Park, Heritage Hills areas. They have more trees and beauty. May or may not be important to you. Edmond residents seem to like it - I could not live there. Too much traffic/ too much driving. Moore is also not aesthetically attractive. Again some people love it. Not very pretty though. If you want to live in OKC, I would highly recommend looking into some of the Catholic schools - only because they tend to be a lot less expensive. They offer a middle ground and you get to choose where you want to live and not have it dictated by school district.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:31 AM

48 posts, read 52,699 times
How are the Putnam City schools?

Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM

25 posts, read 10,391 times
From what i hear they're not nearly as good as they used to be. The Putnam city area is a very affordable part of OKC. PC North used to be a very good school. It has definitely slid over the years, however I'm sure you could take AP classes and still get a good education. I am completely unfamiliar though with elementary and middle schools in Putnam City. If you want the strongest public high school, you are looking at Edmond North, followed by Edmond Memorial. Deer Creek is also very good. Putnam City sadly is lumped in with the OKC public schools which unfortunately do not have as good of a reputation

Old 04-28-2018, 04:38 PM

5,468 posts, read 5,413,369 times
Edmond Dear Creek and Norman followed by Moore and Putnam City North.

Yukon, Mustang, Choctaw and Piedmont are good as well.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM

76 posts, read 82,754 times
Putnam City is a little hit and miss but overall in better shape then OKC schools. I would avoid Del City school system as well. Not horrible, but a little rough. Edmond and Moore from your list will be best school districts.

Del City, Midwest City, Norman are all ok but not top tier. Of that bunch though I would consider Norman your next best.

Yukon and Mustang are school wise pretty good, but personally never liked that area.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:46 PM

5,468 posts, read 5,413,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gato bandito View Post
Putnam City is a little hit and miss but overall in better shape then OKC schools. I would avoid Del City school system as well. Not horrible, but a little rough. Edmond and Moore from your list will be best school districts.

Del City, Midwest City, Norman are all ok but not top tier. Of that bunch though I would consider Norman your next best.

Yukon and Mustang are school wise pretty good, but personally never liked that area.
Both Norman high schools are rated higher than any of the three Moore High schools. Del City and Midwest City are not in the same stratosphere as Norman or Moore in regards to performance.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 11,607,643 times
Piedmont Schools are the top acedemically in the metro. They don't have a lot of the lower class kids as the area has NO apartment complexes. People actually move to that school district because of the academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or