U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 AM

289 posts, read 255,037 times

Advertisements

We hear a lot of griping and complaints about OKC weather. If it's not sweltering heat in the summer it's ice storms and wind in the cooler months. So I'm wondering, truly how bad is the wind and ice? Should we expect frequent ice storms during the coldest months? If so, how frequent and how bad? Also, is the wind always blowing in January and December and blowing hard?

I'm just curious if some of the weather is exaggerated due to either disgruntled residents that want out of OKC or because the city is known for some extreme weather so they apply it to everything and assume they have it the worst. I wonder if they've experienced winter in the northern plains. Now there's some wind, cold and ice

Anyway... is it REALLY that bad?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 AM

641 posts, read 999,343 times
Some years winter in OKC is pretty bad. Cold and windy, with snow or ice on the ground for many days. We have not really had that kind of weather for a few years so I think people are getting complacent haha

Coldest I think Oklahoma has seen was like -31 at Nowata Oklahoma north of Tulsa about 8 or 10 years ago if I remember. That storm also brought a very large amount of snow.

Really though I remember in the 70's and 80's several winters tended to be much worse than most recent years. Some time we'll get more years like that again I'm sure.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM

I think the 70's gave fits to everyone north of Texas. You hear the same thing here in MT and looking at the data you realize they aren't exaggerating.

After spending 10 years in MT I wonder about the actual severity of winter in OKC in perspective to winters up north. Especially if one never had the chance to be immersed in a northern winter. I grew up in the mild PNW so my eyes have really been opened. Imagine the march/april winds in OKC during January and December in the northern plains. It's brutal! We get the arctic blasts from Canada. The two windiest months are also the two coldest (same pattern for the entire northern US). And this is one of the windiest places in the country! This February and beginning of March we had 35 straight days of snow depth averaging 5" or more. And the frequent cold creates frozen soil and thus makes it harder for snow to melt. Of course I don't expect that for OKC but I would still hope the winter weather is over all mild by comparison.

Anyway, it's not a weather contest. I'm just trying to get perspective. Consider Denver. Most outsiders think it's always cold and snowy during winter. The reality is they get a lot of sun and several days it gets into the 50's and even 60's in January. The snow melts pretty quickly.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:07 AM

21,162 posts, read 6,900,764 times
Google is your friend. Pull up some of the storms of the most recent years.

I grew up in real winter country but an inch of ice on everything within ten minutes was a bit exciting a few weeks after we moved to OK. You get used to it. Keep food for everyone on hand and have a good generator. DVD player may not be a bad idea. Yes, it can be that bad but is a matter of being prepared. Hot tub is completely enclosed, last winter we had 15 inch icicles grow within minutes on the partially opened cover. Too dangerous to stay in 100F water. However, you can freeze dry laundry.

We made ham/cheese hot pockets on the dash board yesterday. Power company cuts us off at 100F and moves us to generator to stay within the purchasing agreement instead of paying overage. Of course there are those neighbors who have no generator and keep the place at 70F and lower - natives.

Wind is my only problem. It dries everything out - yard, grass, skin, hair, pool, … It is part of OK. I gave up on contacts and grew my hair to pony tail length. Lots of lotion. It is not good for drying laundry as it will be faintly pink with red clay dust.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Google is your friend. Pull up some of the storms of the most recent years
Actually, that's why I'm asking here. I can't get a very good feel for typical daily life by looking at data and pictures. But I'm also curious about rational thoughts and not those from generally bitter and disgruntled residents who will poop on everything OKC.

I know snow isn't an issue for a place that averages less than 10 inches per season. Sure there's the freak chance for a big storm once in a while. Those are fine. And the snow will melt soon (relative to the northern plains). I suppose my biggest curiosity is the actual severity of wind and ice. I know I've already experienced some of the worst winter wind the country has to offer (for a populated area) but I wouldn't mind escaping that to a certain degree. At least the strongest winds in OKC seem to be early spring with warmer temps (yay tornadoes!).

So that leaves us with the ice. Maybe I'm most curious about that. How frequent? Is it something you deal with on the roads on a regular basis?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:22 AM

21,162 posts, read 6,900,764 times
How to deal with ice storms?
Whole house generator, work from home, stocked pantry including pet food, DVD player, lots of books, stocked house bar. Check on those around you including stray animals. Basic common sense. Main roads are first to get cleared.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:01 PM

15,423 posts, read 11,245,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
Actually, that's why I'm asking here. I can't get a very good feel for typical daily life by looking at data and pictures. But I'm also curious about rational thoughts and not those from generally bitter and disgruntled residents who will poop on everything OKC.

I know snow isn't an issue for a place that averages less than 10 inches per season. Sure there's the freak chance for a big storm once in a while. Those are fine. And the snow will melt soon (relative to the northern plains). I suppose my biggest curiosity is the actual severity of wind and ice. I know I've already experienced some of the worst winter wind the country has to offer (for a populated area) but I wouldn't mind escaping that to a certain degree. At least the strongest winds in OKC seem to be early spring with warmer temps (yay tornadoes!).

So that leaves us with the ice. Maybe I'm most curious about that. How frequent? Is it something you deal with on the roads on a regular basis?

As people have said the weather can vary from winter to winter. In fact each season in Oklahoma can vary from year to year. I'd say the average winter OKC gets two to three snowfalls and two to three icings. Maybe one snowfall is pretty significant and maybe one to two ice storms can be significant. Generally it melts off in a day or three. This winter there wasn't any appreciable snow and two icings or so. Neither ice event was prolonged.

It's rare when it stays cold more than a couple of weeks without some relatively to very mild days but it can do that. It is rare when there is snow that accumulates and stays on the ground more than a couple of weeks but it can happen. Wind is hit and miss in winter. But we can get some significant wind chills when it is blowing.

Summers are more consistently hot. June is usually nice part of the time and either warm and sticky or flat out hot for about half of the time. July and August and usually the first week or two of September are flat out hot but there are usually some breaks (not always!!). For instance two or three days ago it was 106 or so. Today it is in the mid 80s and may get to 90 degrees. We might get a few days break and then it will get hot again and you just hope we get another break.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:26 PM

12,381 posts, read 6,990,396 times
This last winter was brutally cold and windy but it wasn't too bad in the ice department. I would say that there is usually one significant ice storm per year. By significant, I mean the kind of ice storm where trees and power lines come down and roads are impassable. Some years have more snow (the past two years haven't had much). Typically winters tend to be either mild or harsh with little in between.

Tornado season is late March-early June but most of the worst outbreaks will happen in the month of May or at the very end of April. It varies from year to year with some years being more active than others. This season wasn't that bad.

The past several summers have been wet and cooler than average but this year is hotter and drier. Some summers stay green all summer long while others bring tremendous heat and drought.

Falls are pretty nice here, especially October and November. Winter usually arrives pretty quickly around Thanksgiving every year. Some years stay mild into December.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:44 PM

15,423 posts, read 11,245,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This last winter was brutally cold and windy

I don't know how you define "brutally cold" but here are actual facts. Winter 2017

December highs and lows in OKC:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/okl...onyr=12/1/2017
10 days with a high that did not reach 40 degrees. 9 days with a high between 40-55 degrees. 12 days with a high of 55 degrees or better.

January:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ok...monyr=1/1/2018
7 days with a high that did not reach 40 degrees. 10 days with a high between 40-55 degrees. 14 days with a high of 55 degrees or higher.

February:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ok...monyr=2/1/2018
8 days with a high that did not reach 40 degrees. 6 days with a high between 40-55 degrees. 14 days with a high of 55 degrees or higher.

So for the 90 days of winter this past year. 25 days that were cold. 25 days that were brisk to moderate. And 40..... Yes that's 40 days that were mild to balmy.

Last edited by eddie gein; 07-23-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 09:16 PM

641 posts, read 999,343 times
Yes Eddie I noticed that too. My dad had also said that it was a cold winter but it was not cold at all. I told him that and he thought I was was crazy. But it was one of the mildest winters on record.

I think that if you happen to be forced to be outside during the winter, you tend to notice it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City