U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,507,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
You know what's a more prevalent discrimination these days, the widening gap between rich people and common folks.
I'll cast my vote with the common folks.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM

3,160 posts, read 7,101,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I'll cast my vote with the common folks.
Me too, but just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean they are discriminatory against poor people.

I was watching the coverage about the Pope's visit, and I am starting to feel some hope for the future. I've been pretty impressed.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,433,689 times
Default Least Racist Southern States....Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Tatum View Post
Hello all,

I consisider myself to be a well rounded open minded individual. I am considering accepting a job in Oklahoma City, however, I wonder about the racism, I havent had any problems with my children being subject to dead smack in your face racism and would like to keep it that way for as long as I can. My children are surrounded around diversity they attend schools with people of all races and have friends of all races as well. How is the population there? Would you say it is diverse? Kow likely are we to encouter any racial groups? I hope I haven't offened anyone it is certainly not my intention. This would be a big move and I need to make an informed decision.

I am a Oklahoma to California Transplant born in Nowata Ok and lived in Tulsa Ok 1954-1976 and 1988-1990 so I have a opinion on the race issues of OK ,especially since i have traveled to 40 of the states in the United States of America.....and to all of the so "Called Southern States"....

And have lived in California by "far" the least racist state in the United States of America and probably the "Least" or if not the least (one of the least racist places) on the face of the "Earth" and yes there is racism in California not covert racism but "Overt" racism little petty things that could get under your skin and rub you the wrong way if you allow it.

The OP probably asked the question because Oklahoma is located in the "South" but Oklahoma along with Kentucky , Virginiia ,New Mexico , Florida are probably the least racist of the "Southern States' especially in Their's Urban Settings.......

OKC is as Urban as you're going to get in OKLAHOMA so come on in and enjoy yourself....

Old 04-20-2008, 05:15 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,433,689 times
Default Howest2008 Switched the terms Covert and Overt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

I am a Oklahoma to California Transplant born in Nowata Ok and lived in Tulsa Ok 1954-1976 and 1988-1990 so I have a opinion on the race issues of OK ,especially since i have traveled to 40 of the states in the United States of America.....and to all of the so "Called Southern States"....

And have lived in California by "far" the least racist state in the United States of America and probably the "Least" or if not the least (one of the least racist places) on the face of the "Earth" and yes there is racism in California not covert racism but "Overt" racism little petty things that could get under your skin and rub you the wrong way if you allow it.

The OP probably asked the question because Oklahoma is located in the "South" but Oklahoma along with Kentucky , Virginiia ,New Mexico , Florida are probably the least racist of the "Southern States' especially in Their's Urban Settings.......

OKC is as Urban as you're going to get in OKLAHOMA so come on in and enjoy yourself....

I was at a public internet venue just before closing time and in haste to complete my post i switched the terms covert and overt.......racism

Covert in secret.....Overt right out front in the open without any disguise..

I haven't been able to get on my home computer and probably would be able to do so for quite a while....

Old 04-20-2008, 05:34 PM

21 posts, read 46,396 times
The way I look at it is there are good and bad in every race. I am a Cherokee Indian, not the same ones from the tribe located in Talequal, my great grandmother was full blood. Injuns are good people.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 21,754 times
I am an African American in Enid Ok originally from Midwest City. I encounter racist views from my own race of people than from other racial groups. I am sure it exists but in Oklahoma if you act uncivilized. What I can't stand is for some African Americans to believe the world owe them something so they blame other race groups and never attempt to get an education and get a job. I train my children to not take part in racism and to be friends with all racial groups. Also my husband and I teach them to not use their race as a weakness but to study hard in school to earn an education. It worked for me!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,507,179 times
Good for you. In the end, we are all responsible for ourselves and our own happiness, regardless of our age, color, sex, or background. Getting an education and working hard works for any race. Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:59 PM

11,882 posts, read 24,258,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molah View Post
I am an African American in Enid Ok originally from Midwest City. I encounter racist views from my own race of people than from other racial groups. I am sure it exists but in Oklahoma if you act uncivilized. What I can't stand is for some African Americans to believe the world owe them something so they blame other race groups and never attempt to get an education and get a job. I train my children to not take part in racism and to be friends with all racial groups. Also my husband and I teach them to not use their race as a weakness but to study hard in school to earn an education. It worked for me!
You have my vote for President of the United States. And what Colleen said as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 PM

266 posts, read 660,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molah View Post
I completely agree with you. I applaud this.

Oh and Howest2008, Cali is so diverse and what is looked upon as as "goth" or "emo" here in the entire Midwest and Southeast, is looked upon as nomral in places like L.A., NYC, etc.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:34 PM

330 posts, read 666,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I completely agree with you. I applaud this.

Oh and Howest2008, Cali is so diverse and what is looked upon as as "goth" or "emo" here in the entire Midwest and Southeast, is looked upon as nomral in places like L.A., NYC, etc.
CA maybe diverse, but there is still plenty of racism by every race here and it's getting worse each year. The media tries to bury it, but it's alive and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City