U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 01:20 PM

64 posts, read 129,976 times

Advertisements

So currently I live in Kapolei HI and am looking to move to the mainland. I've lived in hawaii since I was a child so I don't really know what its like to live anywhere else other than here, but it's gotten way too expensive as is, and certain circumstances have occurred that are causing me to lose my job. Fortunately I will qualify for medical retirement and will still collect an income. Unfortunately this limited income will make it impossible to afford to live here anymore.

I am foreseeing a monthly income around 2 grand a month. I am looking at various places around the country that might be affordable and comfortable to live. The main questions I have are fairly obvious at first. How is crime (specifically property crime) I've googled the reports etc, but as a person who lives there, what are your impressions? Next, I am a 'car guy' and I am wondering what the laws and conditions are? How strict are they about modified cars? Any safety or emissions checks needed? What is the average car reg per year? Finally what is the car scene like? Any big meets or anything? Is there any SCCA autocross racing? The big question is how unreasonable is it to look for a place with a garage or covered carport for rent between 600-700 a month?

Last isn't exactly important, but I'm from hawaii so I gotta ask... Hows the asian food scene look like? lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 PM

22,332 posts, read 15,842,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
So currently I live in Kapolei HI and am looking to move to the mainland. I've lived in hawaii since I was a child so I don't really know what its like to live anywhere else other than here, but it's gotten way too expensive as is, and certain circumstances have occurred that are causing me to lose my job. Fortunately I will qualify for medical retirement and will still collect an income. Unfortunately this limited income will make it impossible to afford to live here anymore.

I am foreseeing a monthly income around 2 grand a month. I am looking at various places around the country that might be affordable and comfortable to live. The main questions I have are fairly obvious at first. How is crime (specifically property crime) I've googled the reports etc, but as a person who lives there, what are your impressions? Next, I am a 'car guy' and I am wondering what the laws and conditions are? How strict are they about modified cars? Any safety or emissions checks needed? What is the average car reg per year? Finally what is the car scene like? Any big meets or anything? Is there any SCCA autocross racing? The big question is how unreasonable is it to look for a place with a garage or covered carport for rent between 600-700 a month?

Last isn't exactly important, but I'm from hawaii so I gotta ask... Hows the asian food scene look like? lol
If you hate cold weather simply move to southern Florida. But a lot of places you find highly desirable, whether in Florida or not, may not be cheap enough.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:17 AM

Lol I could learn to live with the cold, as long as it’s not crazy blizzards

Old 02-14-2019, 06:56 AM

16,795 posts, read 2,003,686 times
I do not know what you really expect to find in OKC. Everyone seems to think it is out in nowhere, cheap and lawless.

You will be hard pressed to find housing with a garage in a decent area for your budget. I have not see many car ports but in parts of town which need some tic.
Tag office will inspect your vehicle.
A thriving Vietnamese community. A thriving food community but if you are looking for 5$ lunch plates not so much.
Last week it was in the 10s, white ice, yesterday in the 60s. Have not seen a true blizzard but freezing fog with 50 mpg.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 PM

11,411 posts, read 8,192,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
Lol I could learn to live with the cold, as long as it’s not crazy blizzards
I don't know what would constitute a crazy blizzard to an Hawaiian but OKC might have one or two storms a decade that they actually CALL a blizzard.

Winters are usually mild (45-60) degrees punctuated several times by several cold snaps of 2-10 days duration. Winters usually include 2 or 3 light to moderate snowfalls and /or 2 or 3 ice storms that make things slick for a day or two and limit your ability to walk or drive safely. Wind can be really bad at times no matter what the temp is.

However if you draw a line across the country at a latitude where OKC as a general rule any place north of that line will be colder in the winter than OKC and any place south of that line will be warmer in the winter.

Conversely any place south of that line will be hotter longer during the year than OKC and any place north of that line will have shorter and milder summers.

The only place that this really doesn't hold up is the west coast itself that has California and Pacific NW patterns in western Washington and Oregon.

Most outsiders are afraid to come to Oklahoma because of the tornadoes and wind and hailstorms we get during the spring and early summer months.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:42 PM

Tornados are something that I thought about, but I'm not overly concerned tbh. If it was really that serious, no one would choose to live there. From what you said and what I've looked at online your winters seem relatively mild. I know that anything is extreme compared to what were used to here in HI (when the temps dip into the 60's we bust out our winter gear, scarves, and crank the heaters lol) I gotta ask how bad the hail storms are? I've never dealt with anything other than a light hail when I was a kid. Is it serioiusly damaging, or just something that happens?

Getting a garage or carport at that budget was wishful thinking, but you never know till you ask.

As for what I would like to find in OKC, from what I've seen it has a relatively low COLA, relatively mild weather, and access to a lot of the amenities that I am looking for. I've found a racetrack, and a local SCCA chapter. I found plenty of rental units in my price range. Those units might not have everything that I am looking for per se, but beggars can't be choosers. In comparison, in HI you will be hard pressed to find a studio apartment for under 1000 dollars and our median home price is inches away from 1,000,000. A gallon of milk is around 10 dollars, a loaf of bread is 5-6 dollars. and taxes are among the highest in the nation. So basically I want to get away from this. Like I said in my initial post, I am looking at a few locations around the country, but the more I look at OKC the more I am liking it.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:53 PM

11,411 posts, read 8,192,433 times
As for tornadoes. They are an issue. But they are a fairly small storm for the most part so you kind of have to be unlucky to be in the path of one. There are some really big ones that we get about once a decade that are serious. The rest of them you just kind of hold your breath for about 30 minutes watch the TV and they will track the path. You will get as tired from TV channels hyping the weather in order to get you to watch. And tornadoes are really only in issue in the later half of March to the middle of July. Pretty rare after it gets hot and dry however we can get them any time of year if the conditions are just right. Just in the other parts of the year the conditions are rarely right.

Hail is a bit of a different deal. It can be from pee size to the size of softballs but is usually the size of quarters maybe. Try to get a garage or carport if you can in your place and park your car in there. You will usually get plenty of notice if hail is going to be an issue unless it's a night storm. Most storms and tornadoes occur in late afternoon and early evening as a rule. But we do get them all times of day sometimes. probably 90% of tornadoes move from southwest to northeast and the rest go straight east.

I've been here for probably 45 of my 60 years and have lived in OKC area for most of that. I've been in one tornado and one softball size hailstorm that trashed the car. There have been a number of tornadoes that have come close to where I lived but just one was direct. It was F2 out of 5 and just tore up some trees and moved some cars around.

I have no doubt that OKC would work for you but there may be some places that might work even better but if low rent is a priority you won't find many places lower. Particularly in a city as big or bigger than OKC.

About the only places that might match OKC would probably be in the southeast states like Mississippi or Alabama. The difference I think is that OKC itself has a much better ethno economic mix than cities in the southeast.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 498 times
WRT car registration, it depends on the year. 1-4 years old is $97.50, 5-8 years is $87.50, 9-12 years is $67.50, 13-16 years is $47.50, and over that is $27.50. That includes insurance verification. First time you register you also pay title fee ($11), VIN inspection ($5), and a couple notary fees ($2). If you have a lien then there’s a fee to enter that too. There are no car or smog inspections—only an initial check by tag agent to make sure VIN on car matches title.

Asian restaurants tend to be Thai and Vietnamese. There are a few Japanese, and some very low quality Chinese.

I think you can find an apartment in that price range. Weather is pretty nice IMO, but not HI nice.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:13 AM

Holy hell thats cheap . Car reg here comes out to about 350 a year for my miata in HI.
As far as rents go, I’ve been finding a ton of places that would work for me in my price range, so I’m actually kind of excited. It’s all still a ways into the future, probably at least a year or more from now. It’s going to a big culture shock for sure. I’ve spent most of my life surrounded by Asian and Polynesian culture, so it’s gonna take some getting used to. As long as I can still have my pho, katsu, and curry I think I’ll be able to survive tho

Old 02-21-2019, 04:40 AM

592 posts, read 1,631,868 times
I moved to OKC from California 8 years ago and would love to move back as the weather is an issue for this delicate California flower...LOL...I can't handle the cold and wind!

We have problems finding places to eat as it seems it's fried chicken (not a bad thing!) everywhere! We had a big problem finding a Mexican Restaurant but found one on the South side of the city, Tacos Don Nacho that we like. He's from California so maybe that's why; seems more like what we're used to...Most of the Chinese places are the same..Maybe some locals can let me know where to go for dining..

Hope it all works out OK for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: