Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
...but Oklahoma is just fine without hoards of people moving there. In fact, I LIKE it that way.
THAT'S the kind of comment that gets people angry on the Phoenix board when one of us 'old-timers' dares to say it. If only someone had remembered to turn on the "NO VACANCY" sign at the AZ borders back in the late 1970's.

I do envy you guys in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
At least OKC doesn't have a constant abundance of illegals and annoying latino gangs (yet).
Can we ship you 50,000 or so? We'll be happy to transport them free of charge!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
aj661, sometimes I think our bad weather is a blessing.

I have seen some other areas of the country that have rapid growth and lots of new people moving there. The politicians always want more growth, but I hate to see rural areas overrun and the problems that comes with it.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Right now I have no phone, due to the floods, and no water for some other reason! The water service is out all over our area, SOS!
This is our road BEFORE the flooding washed away the top soil during our recent rains. Now it is nothing but ruts and holes. And we have to go the opposite way and use what we used to refer to as the "bad road" to get to town.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/sloppydirtroad.jpg (broken link)

I think civilized people should heed our advice. If you want amenities, malls, and perfect weather, go someplace else! Phoenix has pavement. Go to Phoenix!

I don't know why, but we still love it here.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:

I have seen some other areas of the country that have rapid growth and lots of new people moving there. The politicians always want more growth, but I hate to see rural areas overrun and the problems that comes with it.
That may not save you. People moved to Phoenix for cheap housing as much as and maybe more so than the weather. California and not the midwest is, by far, the largest source of new residents in AZ and California weather is a lot nicer than Phoenix. Once the onslaught begins it feeds itself and accelerates as job opportunities open up, more people come, more jobs, word spreads. It finally dies when prices get too high and people starting looking elsewhere.

OK has a lot of advantages over Texas and the south and eventually folks will get over the biases and realize that. They will rationalize away the weather in search of cheap homes and a yearning for what they imagine to be a simpler lifestyle. Look at what is going on in NW Arkansas. It seems half the people I know want to move to Mountain Home though most have never been there. Some towns in OK are already seeing strong grow from people relocating from CA and other states.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 04-14-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:

What happens to these areas is that hordes of people move there because it's so "free and open". So they go there with their big bucks from selling their houses and build new, oversized houses that the locals wouldn't want and couldn't afford. It gets crowded, property values rise. Then they're amazed that certain "entitlements" aren't available from the government there. They make a lot of noise. The government steps in and provides lots of services to shut them up. Services cost money. Taxes go up. Now it's noisy, crowded, expensive and looks just like where they left.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 27,884 times
Unlike most Okies, I am very knowledgeable about Phoenix. I lived in Cal for several years and spent a lot of time there. Both OKC and Phoenix have a lot to offer, and some drawbacks. Ok has a lot to offer with a large number of lakes and golf courses. Roman Nose state park, about 40 minutes from OKC, has one of the top 10 difficult holes in the US. Property and rents are both quite reasonable in OKC, as compared to Phoenix. My major problem with Phoenix is the growing pollution problem, almost as bad as LA, but without the ocean as a trade-off.

OKC is the home of the best western/native museum in the US. In addition, a new native museum is being built in town. There is alot to do, without having to go a long ways to get there.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 AM

I lived in Harrah, on NE 23rd the second house east of the fire department. Harrah is one of the greatest towns in OK.

But, I think everyone considering relocation should move to Phoenix.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 PM

41 posts, read 180,356 times
Well sorry to burst your bubble Peggy, but OKC is actually already experiencing a high growth rate. We have one of the nation's best economies and we are doing great in the housing market. OKC, I presume, will start growing very fast in the near future.

I actually do not like seeing rural land being overran either since I prefer Urban and Infill developments. Keep the country in the country and the city in the city. So inthat respect I agree with you...just on different terms.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 PM

I was just kidding, 2010grad, about the high growth that is. I see it every time I go to OKC. I hope the economy does keep going up and up there. I don't think the economy in OKC is as dependent on energy prices as in the 80's, but I am seeing some similarities between now and the time oil prices crashed. I truly hope I am wrong about that.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 PM

41 posts, read 180,356 times
Oh, don't worry I knew you were.

Me and you both Peggy, but I believe that OKC had diversified its economy a lot more, so if it does happen again it won't be near as bad and we'll be able to handle it much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City