Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 AM

160 posts, read 975,714 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. Just returned from a week in Edmond looking at homes. It was jam packed and we did little else but look at home after home in all different neighborhoods. We stayed in the Marriott Spring Hills Suites on Memorial, which was nice enough and next to several restaurants and the Spring Hills Mall. We did walk thru the mall once and it was pretty nice, although not as big as the malls I am used to out here in socal. It definately had stores that I shop in such as baby gap and stride rite.
As far as housing goes, there is a plethora of homes and neighborhoods to look at. We found that homes older than about 6-8yrs were very dated and so we were not too interested in them. But all the neighborhoods we looked in were very nicely kept and from the outside you really could not tell how old the homes were. We ended up liking the northern section the best, with our favorite neighborhoods being....Oak Tree Park, Belmont Farms, Cascata Falls and Bella Terra. In these areas, there are some rolling hills and it is really very pretty, although I had to get over my initial panic of how rural it felt compared to where I am now. By the end of the week, I was definately more comfortable and appreciative of the lack of congestion, traffic...etc. We also really liked Valencia, which was recently hit by that F1 tornado a few weeks ago. There was a definate visible path that the tornado took and while many homes looked to have minor roof damage, it did take the roof almost completely off one home. At any rate, colleagues of my DH said that a tornado may not strike that exact location the next time, but there is a definate path followed and to think twice about buying in that area. So, since we are completely freaked out by tornados we are passing on Valencia.
We visited Oak Tree Country Club, which seems like a really nice social place. There is golf (of course), tennis (in/outdoor courts), racquetball, swimming, social gatherings. Very nice and friendly people working there. It is a fairly old club, but well maintained and we really liked it. Also, close to one of our favorite neighborhoods, Oak Tree Park.
The other thing we managed to do was visit St. Mary's preschool, which we loved. The facility is brand new and the program is very impressive. I filled out the application right away to enroll my 3 yr old.
So, that is about it. A very successful trip overall. I would be happy to elaborate or answer any questions for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 AM

184 posts, read 796,649 times
Hey there, good to hear from you and about your trip. I take it you were or did sell your soCal home? So did you buy or rent a home in Oklahoma? or are you still looking at your choices? Do any of these communities have there own webpage or such? that tells you more about those homes? So when could this move happen for you?

My DH is having lunch with his boss today, i told him to keep the subject on Oklahoma!

Again glad to hear about the trip.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Hi, Lisa. Here are some websites I found. They aren't that great, but they do give an idea of the area.

Oak Tree Park Home page
http://www.rrhomesllc.com/subdivisions.aspx

We did sell our house out here in record time, in fact. We got two offers w/in three days, one full price and are in escrow. Need to move out of our house by the end of the month, but that is a whole other story. We are moving June 5th. So, we did not bid on a house in OK yet, but there are a couple we are considering...one in Cascata Falls and one in Oak Tree Park. Cascata Falls and Bella Terra are northeast of 35 and further out, but it is very peaceful and pretty. Anyway, it seems that from anywhere in Edmond you are fairly accessible to the 35 and shopping.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Glad you had such a fulfilling trip to Edmond. Sounds like the area will really suit your needs. Congrats on selling your house so quickly in SoCal. Keep us posted on your upcoming move.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM

708 posts, read 688,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
Hello, all. Just returned from a week in Edmond looking at homes. It was jam packed and we did little else but look at home after home in all different neighborhoods. We stayed in the Marriott Spring Hills Suites on Memorial, which was nice enough and next to several restaurants and the Spring Hills Mall. We did walk thru the mall once and it was pretty nice, although not as big as the malls I am used to out here in socal. It definately had stores that I shop in such as baby gap and stride rite.
As far as housing goes, there is a plethora of homes and neighborhoods to look at. We found that homes older than about 6-8yrs were very dated and so we were not too interested in them. But all the neighborhoods we looked in were very nicely kept and from the outside you really could not tell how old the homes were. We ended up liking the northern section the best, with our favorite neighborhoods being....Oak Tree Park, Belmont Farms, Cascata Falls and Bella Terra. In these areas, there are some rolling hills and it is really very pretty, although I had to get over my initial panic of how rural it felt compared to where I am now. By the end of the week, I was definately more comfortable and appreciative of the lack of congestion, traffic...etc. We also really liked Valencia, which was recently hit by that F1 tornado a few weeks ago. There was a definate visible path that the tornado took and while many homes looked to have minor roof damage, it did take the roof almost completely off one home. At any rate, colleagues of my DH said that a tornado may not strike that exact location the next time, but there is a definate path followed and to think twice about buying in that area. So, since we are completely freaked out by tornados we are passing on Valencia.
We visited Oak Tree Country Club, which seems like a really nice social place. There is golf (of course), tennis (in/outdoor courts), racquetball, swimming, social gatherings. Very nice and friendly people working there. It is a fairly old club, but well maintained and we really liked it. Also, close to one of our favorite neighborhoods, Oak Tree Park.
The other thing we managed to do was visit St. Mary's preschool, which we loved. The facility is brand new and the program is very impressive. I filled out the application right away to enroll my 3 yr old.
So, that is about it. A very successful trip overall. I would be happy to elaborate or answer any questions for anyone.
im so glad u had a good trip!! best wishes to u and your family!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:32 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Interesting post. I found it kind of humorous you thought a house 5-6 years old was kind of dated. I tend to think of houses built in the 30's and 40's as dated. And anything built in the 60's as newer.

But then, we are definitely rural. Don't fear the tornadoes, Gary England will protect you.

I have always thought of Edmond as the most "california-ish" place in OK. Enjoy your new digs and the best of luck to you and your family.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM

That is interesting Redbird...I never thought any of it seemed to have the CA feel...lol. Maybe I need to spend more time out there. Thank you for you kind thoughts.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:15 PM

31 posts, read 158,841 times
Hi,
I thought this was funny because my husband and I were in Edmond this past weekend also checking out the areas. We stayed at the Springhill Suites Marriot too. We also liked Oak Tree, Belmont Farms and Bella Tierra. We were all over with our realtor. We also talked with a few builders. We went to Valencia and saw the houses with the tornado damage. We got there on the Thursday after the tornado. It was so windy. I wonder if it is always windy there. We did have a great time and had dinner at the Lakeside. It was beautiful over the Lake Hefner.
We are seriously considering moving to Edmond from El Paso. I have to admit though, the tornados do scare me. We are so used to sunshine here. But, we have 2 small children and have heard the schools there are great. It was nice to see no "tagging" in Edmond. The kids were outside having fun despite the wind.
I hope you like the area and please keep me informed. We still have about 6 months to go.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM

WOW. What a small world, huh Ship? The new construction there is just soooo beautiful, it really makes you want to spend lots of $$$$$$$$$$. Coming from CA though, we want just the opposite...a low mortgage, good schools for the boys and lots of extra money to travel, save for retirement...etc. I am looking forward to warm, friendly people, affordable living, and just a happy, low key life! Pls let me know your plans. My DH works for Boeing and used to go to El Paso for business all the time when he was on the Delta Rocket project. Anyway, I am all for meeting up when you are settled How old are your kids? Mine are 5yrs and 3yrs, both boys. Pls keep in touch and good luck. I will let you know where we finally land.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:12 PM

31 posts, read 158,841 times
Hi shadow42,
Yes, what a small world. The houses there are beautiful. Did you see the model on Man o war in Belmont Farms. I thought is was gorgeous. The people there are very friendly. We have a 3 yr old girl and a 2 year old boy. So, we will be looking for a good daycare too.
Let me know how you are doing. BTW, did you happen to drive through Nichols Hills. Gorgeous, beautiful homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City