U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:57 PM

1,643 posts, read 930,307 times

Advertisements

Is Oklahoma City one of the poorest metros and states in the USA?

Looking on zillow at listings I was shocked at the housing stock and watching some media on the region it is actually way more impoverished than I realized.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 07:19 PM

16,377 posts, read 1,660,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

Looking on zillow at listings I was shocked at the housing stock and watching some media on the region it is actually way more impoverished than I realized.
We drove through Philly twice in August 2019 and it scared us back to OKC or better an outlying small town. Please take public media with three grains of salt and a big spoon of pepper flakes

On the other hand looking at your other posts - you are not likely to end up here.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:25 PM

3,606 posts, read 2,567,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We drove through Philly twice in August 2019 and it scared us back to OKC or better an outlying small town. Please take public media with three grains of salt and a big spoon of pepper flakes

On the other hand looking at your other posts - you are not likely to end up here.
wow- defensive much?

Not EVERYONE is going to fall in love with OKC and Oklahoma! If you're really secure about how awesome OKC is, you'd just figure it's Rowhome's loss and move on; as opposed to snarky passive aggressive digs at their home.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:58 PM

10,858 posts, read 7,907,949 times
Quote:

No, it's just slightly below the average in per capita income of the top 300 metros.

I don't know what zillow shows but you can get a lot more house for your money in OKC than you can almost anywhere.
Oklahoma itself is around 40ish in per capita income.

OKC is not on the list of the most impoverished metros according to this list...

https://247wallst.com/special-report...etro-areas/10/

If you are that interested in really poor metros it looks like you might want to visit the Rio Grande Valley board.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
wow- defensive much?

Not EVERYONE is going to fall in love with OKC and Oklahoma! If you're really secure about how awesome OKC is, you'd just figure it's Rowhome's loss and move on; as opposed to snarky passive aggressive digs at their home.
Have you been to Philly lately?

Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 AM

109 posts, read 43,747 times
I feel I can honestly comment on this issue. I have lived in several major cities in the last 30+ of my life and In my opinion Oklahoma is a VERY low income/high poverty/High Crime state per capita. I believe poor Educational standards, Lack of high paying jobs and Oklahoma's SERIOUS drug abuse epidemic are key factors in this

After many years me and my family moved on from OK. It's IMO, a "Dead End State"

Old 03-29-2020, 09:31 AM

Lack of income generally depends on what you are bringing to the table and that everywhere in the world.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:50 PM

1,643 posts, read 930,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post

I never mentioned Philadelphia. Never tried to make a comparison at all. Because they are not comparable to be frank. I was just asking about OKC and honestly more about the state of Oklahoma in general which seems to be much more poor than I realized.

From what I gathered there is one main industry in OKC/OK and that is energy but outside of that the economy seems to not be strong or diverse. Not trying to put anything down. Just gathering information about a small/mid size city in a rural state and its struggles and opportunities. Lots of good knowledge to be gained for economic development purposes within these scenarios.

OKC seems to have more comparisons to say Charleston, WV than Austin, TX.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:10 PM

21,624 posts, read 15,564,243 times
Quote:

Oh, well, poverty is even higher in Tulsa and comes with more crime.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:14 PM

10,858 posts, read 7,907,949 times
Quote:

OKC seems to have more comparisons to say Charleston, WV than Austin, TX.
OKC is probably squarely in between those two. OKC's average family income while below Austin is still at 62.5K while Charleston, WV is 47.5K.

OKC is over 10 times bigger than Charleston and OKC's Metro is about 7 times bigger. Finally the wealth of OKC area is now pretty much located in the Suburban areas of OKC with the exception of a few neighborhoods. There IS some money here. We have 3 multi billionaires that live in town and one family that if you add up the adult members are billionaires (the Gaylords).

We have enough money here to support an NBA team and one of the wealthiest college athletic programs in the country at the University of Oklahoma. We wouldn't sell out every Thunder game and every Oklahoma football game if we were as poor as Chicago Dude wants us to be.

As far as the economy oil and gas is the biggie of course but the ag economy is here, the Airforce base and the spinoff is huge. Medical is huge. State government is here. Transportation although not what it once was is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or