Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,795 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

Doing some due dillegence, as I've never been to Oklahoma but have some preconceived notions that I'd like more insight into.

I have the in for a promotion out in OKC, all in id probably net 150-175K a year. It would be a 50-60k raise. Where does this rank for the city?

I'm a single male, 32. What's the dating scene like? I'm not country, don't like to fish, don't like the music, and go to church for funerals only. I'm down for camping and hiking, and love craft beer. Could I fit in? Are there a lot of single women without kids my age?

What is the makeup of okc politically? I hear Bible belt, and immediately want to table this offer. Are we talking like Jesus loves you billboards, or just Jesus loves you coffe mugs? I know this might be touchy, and maybe the news doesn't give you folks a fair shake, but being from NY i could careless if your a crack addicted illegal immigrant tranny who had an abortion last week, just don't talk to me.

Is okc a fair share of transplants?

Do you folks not sell beer on Sunday, and is the beer only 3.2%?

What is OKC known for? Do you have a special dish, or BBQ or something. What do the locals do?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 04:24 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
You wouldn't probably appreciate the overall culture here in OKC but it's big enough that you can find like minded people. You will need to live close to downtown to find folks who are kind of to your liking.

Dating scene is doable but not ideal. The religion thing is avoidable but it is certainly there. Beer is no longer 3.2%, and can be gotten on Sunday. Craft beer is now a going concern but still has a ways to go.

Politically if you live in the downtown area it's blue to purple. Burbs are Trump country.

BBQ is pretty good here and it is interesting because it's kind of a hybrid style. Food scene is solid for a plains city. Mexican food is everywhere now days.

All I can say is at that salary you can stay here and live like a king and still bank 50-75K for a few years and move on to a more exciting place. A single guy can do pretty well here on 70K.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:50 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Eddie you should really start going into politics

OKC may not be the perfect place for OP considering his needs.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:12 PM

24,276 posts, read 13,132,107 times
There are some very good breweries in OKC, and they DO serve on Sunday. Prairie Artisan (9th and the RR tracks, downtown) is consistently rated as a world-class brewery. (I was surprised OK was more "progressive" than TX regarding Sunday sales, for about six months, before TX passed similar laws.)

Old 05-08-2020, 07:18 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Eddie you should really start going into politics

OKC may not be the perfect place for OP considering his needs.
He is getting a "net" 175K to come to OKC. That makes OKC more "perfect" than it otherwise might be.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
He is getting a "net" 175K to come to OKC. That makes OKC more "perfect" than it otherwise might be.
I would move to OKC Yesterday for a 175K Payday . Maybe you wouldn't be the King of OK , but you surely would be the Prince!!!

Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon2121 View Post
Hey folks,

Doing some due dillegence, as I've never been to Oklahoma but have some preconceived notions that I'd like more insight into.

I have the in for a promotion out in OKC, all in id probably net 150-175K a year. It would be a 50-60k raise. Where does this rank for the city?

I'm a single male, 32. What's the dating scene like? I'm not country, don't like to fish, don't like the music, and go to church for funerals only. I'm down for camping and hiking, and love craft beer. Could I fit in? Are there a lot of single women without kids my age?

What is the makeup of okc politically? I hear Bible belt, and immediately want to table this offer. Are we talking like Jesus loves you billboards, or just Jesus loves you coffe mugs? I know this might be touchy, and maybe the news doesn't give you folks a fair shake, but being from NY i could careless if your a crack addicted illegal immigrant tranny who had an abortion last week, just don't talk to me.

Is okc a fair share of transplants?

Do you folks not sell beer on Sunday, and is the beer only 3.2%?

What is OKC known for? Do you have a special dish, or BBQ or something. What do the locals do?

Any help is appreciated.
Oklahoma and Oklahoma City have changed a lot for the better compared to how awfully backward it was just 5 years ago. I bet a lot of outsiders aren't up to date about it. So, of course, do spring for that job while it's still staring at you in the face. If life in Oklahoma City doesn't work out, then Dallas-Ft. Worth and Austin aren't too far away for being even better places to live. But the summertime heat lasts longer.

I don't think Oklahoma City is as badly bible belted as Tulsa or elsewhere in Oklahoma. You may likely find people more fiercely devoted to OU or OSU football or Thunder basketball than Jesus.

Unlike Tulsa, OKC is trying to turn purple. OKC surely has a good share of transplants. What else explains why it's growing fairly fast, faster than Tulsa?

For hiking, you can have a wonderful time of it at Mt. Scott from over an hour away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8jL9Piglyw

For hot women, see if they're hanging out at the Paseo District looking for art to buy during the first Friday of every month. That unique neighborhood is in the northwest part of Oklahoma City, which is the most remarkable and fascinating part of the city. I doubt that part could be described as conservative Jesus oriented. If no luck with women there, then check out the bars at Bricktown, downtown.

Oklahoma City is most known for tornadoes, so it's a good idea to have a tornado shelter nearby. Among the best shelters is in your home composed of reinforced concrete in a small room, such as a closet. Another good example of a shelter is built underground in the middle of the garage. You sure want a garage to protect your car in the event of a big hail storm. Anyway, don't be surprised if home and auto insurance in Oklahoma is awfully higher priced than what you're accustomed to.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 05-09-2020 at 01:25 AM..

Old 05-09-2020, 11:29 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon2121 View Post
Are there a lot of single women without kids my age?

Maybe the official Census has numbers for single households of the 50+ age group and female with no children.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:26 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Wait for it....

The haters will pounce on this thread on ... 3...2.,.1

I would vote for Eddy Gein. OKC it's like any other city there is good bad and ugly here. Personally, I would not live in any other state. But I would most definitely stay in a rural area outside of a small town.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Wait for it....

The haters will pounce on this thread on ... 3...2.,.1

I would vote for Eddy Gein. OKC it's like any other city there is good bad and ugly here. Personally, I would not live in any other state. But I would most definitely stay in a rural area outside of a small town.
No way with me from being a city boy. Most of rural Oklahoma voted strongly against legalizing medical marijuana. Declining, backward rural Oklahoma is a whole different world, I don't need to tolerate. The people in my precinct voted YES for legalized medical marijuana by a decent margin.

Would I live in some other state? No, or I would have moved there by now, though, I found moving to the Colorado Springs area kinda tempting for its awesome scenery. But didn't care for the upheaval moving there would mean. Really, I'm just a homebody at heart. It's something I inherited. Beginning with my both my parents and their siblings, nearly every one of them decided it was time to quit doing what their ancestors had done and quit moving west by staying in Oklahoma.

My American ancestors possibly date back clear to Richard Taylor of Jamestown, who arrived there in 1608 from a relief ship in England to resupply the original settlers of 1607. They came before the Mayflower in 1620. Taylor likely knew of Pocahontas and survived the massacre from the Indians. Actually, if the findings of geni are to be believed, I'm the 9th great grandson of Richard Taylor.

The only real hater against Oklahoma on here is the one who moved to Chicago. Since I don't sympathize much with him, I can't remember his name and don't want to.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 05-10-2020 at 10:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City