U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:44 PM

17,152 posts, read 14,047,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
ROTFLOL....Given your attitude, it is my humble hillbilly opinion (albeit completely uninformed and uneducated as you have so succinctly pointed out) that you have done nothing to improve OKC. Good luck on your move and hopefully the next city will be able to handle your negativity;-)
Well, if people of Oklahoma City are absolutely too blind and shut minded to take seriously the complaints of outsiders concerning how bad it is to in live Oklahoma City and Oklahoma, then these outsiders will just keep on going back to where they came from only to bad mouth Oklahoma City and discourage new people from visiting, much less moving here for a new life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,052,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, if people of Oklahoma City are absolutely too blind and shut minded to take seriously the complaints of outsiders concerning how bad it is to in live Oklahoma City and Oklahoma, then these outsiders will just keep on going back to where they came from only to bad mouth Oklahoma City and discourage new people from visiting, much less moving here for a new life.
Good -- that should keep the crowds down.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 PM

5,443 posts, read 7,908,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And that's bad because???

LOL, only joshin' Stillwater. I believe people still can deliver their opinions with tact and decency. It is my opinion that the gentleman that was venting failed to be tactful because there was a pretty sarcastic tenor to his post (if I'm reading it properly).

Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,226,081 times
What a bunch of drama. OKC is an obvious up and coming city. Its a great place to live and work. You can find many other forums that paint a realistic picture of OKC. People get on here to vent and freak out all the time. Every city has its good and bad and to only give a one sided opinion, whether negative or positive, typically points to being biased. I would love to hear from an elite organization like the NBA on how OKC sucks, then I might take it seriously.

Here is a great website for people who are interested in OKC. These posters actually have an unbiased opinion. You will find lots of good and lots of bad. They give the real deal.

Moderator cut: deleted competitor websites

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-10-2008 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

51 posts, read 120,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Your opinion is out dated and a bit harsh, but thats okay your probably a Hornet or former Sonics fan! Lots of hatred towards OKC these days coming from two major cities, because of the NBA. Pathetic.
Outdated ? I don't see how given that the opinions I shared were based on recent observations. Harsh ? Perhaps. Then again the young man is contemplating a major life change. I personally believe it is important that in addition to all the community cheerleading (found on ANY of these forums) that voices expressing opinions to the contrary be heard.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,226,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviePee2 View Post
Outdated ? I don't see how given that the opinions I shared were based on recent observations. Harsh ? Perhaps. Then again the young man is contemplating a major life change. I personally believe it is important that in addition to all the community cheerleading (found on ANY of these forums) that voices expressing opinions to the contrary be heard.
I just read over your crit again and in my humble hillbilly opinion, yes it is outdated in many ways. Your harsh judgement is overboard and your knowledge of the city is minimal at best. Good luck

Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,052,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
I just read over your crit again and in my humble hillbilly opinion, yes it is outdated in many ways. Your harsh judgement is overboard and your knowledge of the city is minimal at best. Good luck
I agree. I re-read it too, and it smacks of hostility. It was NOT a "both sides of the story" type post. Borderline trolling.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:56 PM

8 posts, read 20,099 times
Default linwood neighborhood has many transplants from all over

This neighborhood has a huge sense of community and many many children from ages 0-18. They have many get togethers and are like a huge family. These are all historical homes and there are a couple for sale. One I wish I could have is located right on the sought after blvd. Great place to live in OKC....quick access to EVERYTHING zip is 73107

Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviePee2 View Post
Oklahoma: Imagine Louisiana with roads...albeit not very good ones and you would pretty much be right on.. My wife and I moved here from Minnesota about a year ago when I accepted a job as a contract instructor for "a major university". We moved here with the idea that we would stay for a year and then move on to bigger and better things. Well a year is up and we are both aquiver with the thought of getting the heck out of here (40 days and counting).

Let me say right off that the highlight of our stay has been the people. Most of them are genuinely friendly and well meaning. Things begin to fall off after that. So looking at things through the eyes of a 25 year old (of which I am not) here is our take on OKC.

Culture: "The Arts" are overall extremely weak in OKC and do not appear to be very well supported. Aside from a coven of the "piercing and tatto" crowd down in "The Paseo District" (you don't want to be there after dark) there isn't really anything approaching young and vibrant. Major theatre and dance events are few. Major (rock) concerts do make it occasionally make it through OKC...Usually on a Wed or Thu night...and usually some washed up band from the 70's. I think what happens is that these bands figure since they HAVE to drive through OKC on the way to a show in Dallas, why not unload the truck and make a few bucks on the way. That being said the local music scene DOES have some shining stars. Talented musicians, many of whom play a variety of music know as "red dirt". The blues are also well represented in the local music scene. Most of the "clubs" we have been to have been kind of "sketchy"...i.e. dark little juke-joints with two or three barmaids and 30 guys waiting around for their girlfriends behind the bar to get off work. Many bars only serve a variety of beer known as "3.2"...in other words watered down beer. Dining is really hit and miss. If you are into Tex-Mex food then you will be in heaven. There are over 300 restaurants in the phone book with "Taco" in there name. On the other hand there are over 150 "Sonic" drive-in restaurants, so a good "cheeeeleee-dawg" is never more than a block away. My wife and I (being foodies) have made an effort to try most of the establishments listed on virtually every "top 10 list" we have came across and have had a "hit and miss" experience...mostly "miss". For example they are big out here on a place called "Cattleman's Steakhouse". Our take on this place was that it was a half a notch below what you would be served in some "chain" restaraunt off any freeway exit in America.

Politics: If your political leanings are to the right of center then you will fit right in here...particularly if you are evangelical. If not, well they won't hesititate to let you know that your views aren't particularly welcome and in fact are downright WRONG. On the rare occasion that they DO elect someone not from the Republican party they make sure to prominately post this persons picture as evidence that they are in fact "progressive" and not prejudiced (I'm joking...since there are no democrats in Oklahoma).

Infastructure/etc: The roads are falling apart. Public transportation (compared to most cities) is non-existent. They are building (some) new and attractive homes at reasonable prices but that being said the overall existing housing stock is becoming quite dilapidated. Most cities I've lived in have had a "good side of the tracks" and a "bad side of the tracks" (for lack of a better discription). Not so here in Oklahoma City. Here you can have an awesome neighborhood with lovely sidewalks and beautiful homes and a quarter of a mile away a neighborhood of dilapidated properties in a neighborhood that you wouldn't want to walk through at night. Very disconcerting, particularly for new residents. One thing I have found to be quite disturbing...and I'm not sure that this is a major problem...just one that gets my goat. Four times in the past couple of months I have witnessed LARGE dogs that have been killed by vehicles crossing major city intersections. In each case the poor animals have somehow been thrown to the curb and LAYED there rotting for weeks on end. I've lived in a lot of places but I've NEVER lived in a place where THAT is allowed to go on.

In short, if going to the Walmart and "people watching" is your thing. Or if the idea of sitting on the side of the road counting White pick up trucks appeals to you, then by ALL means this is the end of the rainbow. Otherwise I would look elswhere for my place in the sun. Sorry if my discriptions have offended any long time OKC residents...Then again perhaps it is a good thing to know how your fair city is perceived by others. Through realization could come motivation and through motivation could come improvement.

SteviePee
this guy has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

there are tons of proper night clubs and the dance scene is one step behind the coasts and what you would be used to in england. OKC has been in countless magazines and newspapers with glowing articles about what all there is to do. the new york times has written 2 articles in the past 6 months encouraging people to visit okc.
so before you listen to this jackass... go and check out [url=http://WWW.OKCTALK.COM]Home - Oklahoma News, Sports, chat, discussion forums and more![/url]
and check out the myspace i made for okc
[url=http://www.myspace.com/oklahomacityrocks]MySpace.com - OKLAHOMA CITY - 36 - Male - <marquee direction=RIGHT><H3>OKC - 405</MARQUEE>, OKLAHOMA - www.myspace.com/oklahomacityrocks[/url]

i moved back here from being in dallas for 6 years with the intent of saving up some money and moving to the OC (newport beach). i had a job waiting for me and a friend needing a roomate who lived across the street from the beach. however, i stayed because **** is jumping off here! i have a high quality of life here things are only getting better.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM

19 posts, read 96,478 times
I have to say I think EDCRUNK and STEVIEPEE are both right AND both wrong. I'm from OKC and have lived here most of my life but I've also lived in other states. EDCRUNK is wrong about the night life being equal to large coast cities (having lived in LA) but you can find fun things to do and places to dance in OKC. OKC is trying to improve itself and over time the renovations will be very nice. Like buying property on the cheap in an under developed neighborhood that is going through development, it's good in the long run. Because of that, now is a great time to move to OK. You don't have to be the "outdoorsie" type to find things to do (but it helps) I don't "do" the outdoors or sports and I manage just fine.

As far as NO vs OKC, the attitude difference is the like 2 ends of spectrum. I recently went to Lafayette and NO for several days and had forgotten how much racism and inequality are still considered norms in some places. OKC is somewhat moderate in its attitudes and the people are in general friendly, but in many of the smaller rural towns it's still the civil war. I have found a lot of rural towns to be that way and in most states-not just OK.

STEVIEPEE is wrong, though, it's not the population as a whole who are right wing conservatives and fundamentalist christians, those people are just the loudest and most aggresive. I DO get tired of most people I talk to thinking we automaticly have the same political and religious view points, so they say whatever they think and aren't concerned if they offend someone who doesn't share their ideas. Most of the time I just tell people we don't share the same veiws and we agree to disagree. Sometimes though, I just get "the stink-eye" and if I'm not in a gratious mood the conversation can escalate. These are not situations that are exclusive to OKC, I've found them everywhere and with people with oppinions ranging from far left to far right.

Basically, OKC is like most places just w/ a smaller base of industry and we're working on that.

BTW... you said you were looking for "a quiet" place to live for a while. Don't move to the Downtown/Bricktown area, that area is the hub of the night life.

I hope you enjoy OKC, good luck in your move and in the future.

Last edited by cymmiller; 08-21-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City