U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM

77 posts, read 399,592 times

Advertisements

I have lived in OKC most of my life. I have done extensive travelling all around. Coming to OKC from Seattle- will be a shock. But not a bad one at all- you might even feel uplifted to be in an environment that doesnt drizzle rain a lot. Last time i went to seattle was about 10 years ago. I love seattle and will return soon- But I enjoy a lot of sun.

Interracial families are actually more abundant in OKC than in seattle(this is my experience)- because of the diversity coming from all directions. We have a very strong asian community, black community, hispanic community, and many others. They even have their own districts, because they wanted to make their own identity within the community years ago.......You wont be looked at funny- unless you have a 4 foot mohawk w/assorted colors, wearing a thong.- I think you will be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 PM

34 posts, read 92,337 times
I grew up with a Black and German family on my street....30 years ago! My sister is black and married to a white man. No problems.

Move here and enjoy life.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 PM

259 posts, read 689,624 times
I'd agree and say that Okc is fairly interracial. Most people here are very accepting. I go to a church, maybe the same one as Wendy mentioned where there are tons of interracial families. I love it there, everyone is so open and accepting.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:34 PM

31 posts, read 111,008 times
If "biracial" is the new euphemism for "part Indian" or "half-breed" then Oklahoma is full of them. It was, after all, Indian Territory back when all the Choctaw, Cherokee, Creek, Chickasaw, and Seminole were rounded up from all over the South and herded off to our "new" land and reservations. I think "biracial" is the P.C. way of saying Part-Indian because as I have found out in my life, especially in the US where Black is the predominant "minority" race, Indians "don't exist." I've even been in parts of Oklahoma (Tulsa) and told that Indians "don't exist." Right to my face. Always, of course, as if I was NOT one.

So even though I'm Oklahoma Choctaw I don't have a high opinion of any part of the state other than the rez.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:59 PM

522 posts, read 1,050,798 times
I live in Moore and there's no problem here with any kind of racial that I've ever seen. We have a lot of interracial couples that attend my church, too, and those I know are really great folks. I bet we go to the same church.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:52 PM

602 posts, read 894,511 times
Default Trucking Cali to Tulsa ... and ...

I'm here in Tulsa for a new trucking job. I'm from Berkeley (SF Bay Area) where people tend to feel that the only feeling and thinking people in the world are ... there. (In reality, the Bay Area isn't any more "aware" than anywhere else anymore. Sad, but true.)

So, I was shocked to discover how cool Oklahoma is. Now ... you do have Rednecks here (JUST like you have in EVERY OTHER STATE and city), but MOST folks seem surpisingly laid back and cool here. Just appreciate them for who they are and get busy living your own life. Ta hell with the Neaderthals. (Just don't move next door to none ...)

Is there a lot of crap beneath the surface? Yeah ... but that's life. From what I see, Oklahoma is prime Real Estate right now. If you're fine with your "interracial relationship," then they will be too.

Me? I'm just doing my homework. Scouting it out. Asking everybody I know. (I'm black) Yes ... I do plan to live where there are blacks already there. No, it doesn't have to be "all black" ... but it's got to be enough that folks been living together for a long time and have already delt with the retard stuff.

Oklahoma has a lot of black people as well as native Americans and Mexicans. It's not 1902 here. You'll be fine. First thing I saw when I hit Oklahoma City were two homeless guys ... one black and the other white ... walking pass me with "that Look" in their eyes. Same old stuff. Same America. You just have a LOT more room to find a place to shelter yourself from it here. There's money here and there's poverty. So ... main thing ... what do you want to do with your own life? You don't have to care what they think. There's mixed race folks running around here. Ain't no biggie.

Now, I'm going to look into "Putnam City, Edmond and Moore". Thanks for the info on those places.

Last edited by veganwriter; 06-25-2007 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: forgot something ...

Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM

11,879 posts, read 25,460,716 times
Good luck to you veganwriter wherever you end up. A good attitude like yours helps. Cheers.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 PM

1,586 posts, read 4,607,436 times
Yeah- you truly must be interested. Im sorry if I judged you the wrong way a long time ago on another thread(if you remember). If you are looking into the OKC area then I would highly consider the eastside of the city on 23rd. Many homes are rising in value fast. The district is called Deep Duece. You can look up the demographics of the particular area. Many find mixed couples all over OKC. Deep Duece is on the eastside of 23rd/Little Saigon is on the westside. Paseo is the oldest art community and probably the only real one in Oklahoma. So you have many cultures and races that combine beautifully.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,050,798 times
Well, maybe I'm really wrong, but Deep Deuce has always been the area just east of downtown on 2nd Street. It was a significant music area in the day and is in a major revitalization. I just had lunch in a wonderful little place the other day called Deep Deuce Grille. I was amazed - its all new down there - adjacent to the bricktown area.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 PM

1,586 posts, read 4,607,436 times
Yeah- I think you are right when the district was really old. But it does extend itself to 23rd because of the growth. East 23rd has many great BBQ places. But to be honest on east side 23rd- all you see are black people. So they have a thriving community on that side of town. I believe a large hispanic community lies south of Deep Duece also. Adding even more character to Downtown OKC. I think it is great being near Little Saigon it gives the area a real contrast of culture. Martin Luther King Jr. was denied a job at a church in that part of town because he was too young!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City