Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 AM

334 posts, read 915,527 times

Advertisements

You may find a house with a basement around here, but it will involve a lot of searching. They just don't build houses with them out here. Strange that in tornado alley basements are uncommon and that storm shelters need to be added post-construction, but that's just how it rolls here.

If you were to head a little farther north, like to Kansas City and Omaha, you'd see a lot of basements. I've heard that it has something to do with how deep the ground freezes in winter. The deeper the freeze, the deeper the foundation needs to be, so in the colder areas developers have to lay a deep enough foundation that they get to point where it's just as economical to add a basement as to leave it out, or something like that.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 PM

120 posts, read 425,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbubbles View Post
Nah basically here there are attics. I was told something about our mud makes attics crack.
it's called ground-shift and it's very common here thanks to the clay/mud/dirt.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 57,500 times
I live in Piedmont, not too far from Edmond, and I must say that Edmond is probably one of the prettiest cities in Oklahoma that i've seen. The houses there are beautiful and the people are nice, and its really green. More trees then Piedmont, anyway. About basements: not many homes in Oklahoma have basements because the soil here isn't the best for them. Basements are more of a Northern thing, though I wish more homes had them here. If you want a basement for interior reasons, then good luck finding one; if its for safety reasons, your best bet is a storm shelter. Those come in handy around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City