Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 29,701 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student that will be moving to OKC in August, and I'm having the hardest time finding a safe area to live in, be it house or apartment. I called the police department and the lady there was no help. I asked her what was a safe area to live in, she told me there was not a safe area and that I should definately stay away from 23rd street.... ok.... So I asked her if there is area that she would recommend, you know, like move near the base, or move to areas in north, south, east, or west Oklahoma city, I mean just something. And her response was "Oh, if you're new, no matter where you go, people will pick on you....." i mean, that does not help, really. so can someone please help me out here and at least give me an ideal as to what areas to avoid and what areas that would be at least decent to move to. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM

998 posts, read 2,448,295 times
What college are university are you going to be attending?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,749,116 times
You called the PO and they basically said that there was no safe area to live in. Good grief. Call an insurance agent or something and they might help. I know tons of students and people that attend and live near OCU which is on 23rd street. They dont have a problem with it, but many are from other countries and big cities where people live in more urbanized eccentric places.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to attend OSU-OKC.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 AM

102 posts, read 395,155 times
Sorry the police officer was so short with you. Geez!

I'd recommend living off 39th Expressway or NW Expressway....there's some apartments there & it's pretty close to OSU-OKC.

Try: Pheasant Run, Lakeside Village, Boardwalk, and Watersedge.

For safety around your campus, I would avoid east of Portand until Penn; south of NW 10th Street until SW 44th (crossing I-40).

These sites might help you:
NewsOK Mobile
Oklahoma City Apartments for Rent with Ratings & Reviews by Oklahoma City Renters at ApartmentRatings.com

Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 13,962 times
Default The police office was correct

If my daughter was going to school in OKC I would have her in Edmond,Moore, Yukon etc... nowhere in the city limits. I would prefer a longer commute to and from school than the risk of the rampant crime within the city limits. Sorry if I offended anyone who lives within OKC, just my humble opinion.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Once again, I thank all of you for you comments. I'm taking all of your advise, and I'm going to OKC this weekend to look around. And I am considering apartments in Yukon or Mustang. Edmond and Moore are a little far, but I'm not excluding them either. Thanks again guys. Please keep the advise coming.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,776,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalanda View Post
Once again, I thank all of you for you comments. I'm taking all of your advise, and I'm going to OKC this weekend to look around. And I am considering apartments in Yukon or Mustang. Edmond and Moore are a little far, but I'm not excluding them either. Thanks again guys. Please keep the advise coming.
I live in Mustang, and I traveled to OSU-OKC for a job interview yesterday, and it took me 20-25 minutes to get there. Mustang is a great town, very safe, and there are some apartment complexes here.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Hmm, needless to say, I really didn't find a nice apartment. Well, I did look at the Lincoln at Central Park, but I heard they have flooding issues, so that kinda discouraged me, but a lot of the other I saw were scary. I didn't get a chance to make it to Mustang or Yukon. **sigh** The search continues....

Old 07-20-2008, 03:19 PM

533 posts, read 1,707,875 times
OSU-OKC campus is near NW 10th and Portland.

You might look at the Montclair Park Apartments at SW 104th and Penn if in your budget. That area seems really nice to me with convenient shopping and a park and I-44 is very close. You'd be about 12 miles from campus.

There's another complex off 89th and I-44 that you might check, too, that a lot of people going to the FAA center use.

I really don't remember anything much closer north of there that I think would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City