Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 11:49 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,593 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move our family to Oklahoma City in October.We will literally be moving on a shoestring budget. We are going to ship a few big boxes and stuff the rest of what we will bring in my mid-sized car. We will most likely be in or near the downtown area.We really do not have much in the way of good furniture right now anyway, so we are going to get rid of our stuff before we leave.

I am a thrift shop addict so I have absalutely no problem with getting the furniture/household stuff and some clothes at a thrift store. I do not mind putting in some elbow grease to clean something up either if the price is right. I do not need fancy stuff either.

We will be needing beds,living room furniture and tables. What I need to find out is where the best (cheapest) thrift stores are for someone on a very tight budget.I am especially interested in any that offer delivery.

Just as an example: I am accustomed to paying about $30-40 for a twin bed (used). I usually see king size beds (which hubby and I need) for somewhere around $100 or less. So hopefully now you have a better idea of what we are looking for. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
I am a used furniture junkie myself. I can probably count on two hands the number of new furniture items we've purchased over 32 years of marraige.

We recently picked up a very nice small couch at the Salvation Army Family Store in Mustang. They had a lot of furniture there. I've also picked up some really nice things off the curb on big garbage day, but here in OK that's only once a year. Where we moved from in NJ it was once a week, so you can see how much you could get. Also, we have a nice large couch we bought from a garage sale.

I would also check the ads in the newspaper. A lot of really good 2nd hand furniture can be had from people who are being foreclosed, divorced, or moving out of state and don't want to haul it with them. I've gotten a lot of good stuff that way over the years.

The newspaper in OKC is The Oklahoman. Check their ads. Also, in riding around OKC I've seen a number of thrift stores. I'm sure if you check online you'll come up with quite a list. Good luck! And welcome to the forum and OK.

BTW, I have an 18 year old son who wasn't happy to move with us. He went back to NJ for the summer, but has promised to come home after Labor Day when his gf starts college. I understand your dilemma with your son. However, my 16 year old daughter moved with us, and even though there was only a couple of months left to school when we moved, we enrolled her in the local high school and she made friends and is very happy here now. Moving with teens is challenging to say the least.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM

Colleen thank you for the info. I have never even been to OKC so we know nothing about where anything is. I know Mustang is close but have no idea where it will be in relation to where we will be living.So we are in for an adventure of sorts. Also, we can only haul small furniture items in our one vehicle so we will either have to rent a small truck or have whatever we get delivered which may not even be possible if we buy from an indavidual. I will be looking up Salvation Army stores for sure. Here in Florida they seem to be pretty reasonable.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,283 times
I also live in OKC. I have lived here for about nine years and I am originally from Chicago (planning to move back next summer).

I am also a thrift store, garage sale, flea market, junk day and find free stuff on the curb addict. I can help you before and after you move here to get everything that you need to make you and your family very comfortable on that shoestring budget of yours because I am on one too.

Helping you to obtain needed items will be no problem at all. Mustang is actually quite a distance from downtown Oklahoma City. It depends if you will be moving to the Metro OKC area (downtown OKC area), or if you will move to one of the surrounding towns in Okla. There are a kazillion little towns here.

I can give you several locations to get those budget bargains that will be in traveling distance from your future home because you can usually always find one or two in any town. Also, in OKC, junk day or "big trash day" which is what it is called is once a month and not once a year. The date is posted on your water bill for bulk trash and when to have it on the curb.

If you like, you can contact me at singing2u@live.com, and I can give you more information about different things and when you relocate here, we can make the budget bargain hunts together to help you get familiar with the city. I drive a small SUV; however, I will pull the seat backs down and haul stuff away in a heartbeat. If I can get it in, I will haul it. I have carried a complete dining set in the back of my truck before and it was very convenient when I moved within the city to move all of my belongs except for my large furniture and appliances.

So, as I said, contact me and I can help you find the things that you need before you arrive and/or help when you actually make that move here.

There is a Salvation Army Family Thrift Store - 700th block of North Penn Avenue - Oklahoma City, Ok
Goodwill - various locations - OKC, OK
Uptown Thrift Stores - various locations - OKC, OK
Community Thrift Stores - various locations - OKC
St. Vincent DePaul - NW 10th and MacArthur - OKC, OK
Also Antique Shops and Malls, several garage sales every weekend in many different areas and towns, the Old Paris Flea Market on South Eastern Avenue in OKC, and big trash day when everything is at the curb free for the taking. Many people just put things out because they have redecorated and bought new items, and most times you can find many things in excellent condition just sitting on the curb. I have sooooo many things that I found and acquired from the streets, garage sales and thrift stores. People are amazed when they see the things that I have found and brought into my home. I have a deep passion for antiques and I guess I'm stuck in the '70's. I am 50 years old.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:02 AM

78 posts, read 335,318 times
Check craigslist also!!

There are a ton of thrift stores in NW OKC, I don't know about delivery service though. A couple of my favorites are Heart & Hand on NW 23rd near Council & The Goodwill on NW 50th & MacArthur.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Wow! I was surprised to see this old thread revived after two years! Well, I'll give you all an update. We have been here in the OKC metro for almost two years now. I have had two jobs and we are on our third apartment. I am planning to buy a modest house in February of next year. We live in Bethany now and we love this area, so I am planning on getting a house in Bethany, Warr Acres or Yukon. Our other two apartments were only about five minutes from here so we have been in this area the whole time. Oh and I know where all the good thrift stores are in this area.

I almost never go into the south side of town anymore. My first job in OKC was on SW.55th and I now work closer to home in NW. OKC. The kids are doing okay. My daughter loves her high school. We were given a lot of furniture after our big move, by several people at a church in Yukon. I have found which thrift stores have good prices and good sales. I make my rounds of them every payday!

405travelgirl, I love Heart and Hand too. Their clothes are a bit more pricey, but I love going there for the books and furniture. I know that Goodwill too and I really like how they charge one price for all the pants, shorts ect instead of indavidual pricing. I wish that thrift stores would seperate the plus sized from the rest of the clothes instead of lumping them all together. I was looking for clothes for my daughter this weekend and it takes so much time looking through all those things and not even finding anything that fits. I am plus sized myself, though I am in the process of trying to lose about a hundred pounds.

Last edited by Floridamom1970; 08-08-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkskin1 View Post
I also live in OKC. I have lived here for about nine years and I am originally from Chicago (planning to move back next summer).

I am also a thrift store, garage sale, flea market, junk day and find free stuff on the curb addict. I can help you before and after you move here to get everything that you need to make you and your family very comfortable on that shoestring budget of yours because I am on one too.

Helping you to obtain needed items will be no problem at all. Mustang is actually quite a distance from downtown Oklahoma City. It depends if you will be moving to the Metro OKC area (downtown OKC area), or if you will move to one of the surrounding towns in Okla. There are a kazillion little towns here.

I can give you several locations to get those budget bargains that will be in traveling distance from your future home because you can usually always find one or two in any town. Also, in OKC, junk day or "big trash day" which is what it is called is once a month and not once a year. The date is posted on your water bill for bulk trash and when to have it on the curb.

If you like, you can contact me at singing2u@live.com, and I can give you more information about different things and when you relocate here, we can make the budget bargain hunts together to help you get familiar with the city. I drive a small SUV; however, I will pull the seat backs down and haul stuff away in a heartbeat. If I can get it in, I will haul it. I have carried a complete dining set in the back of my truck before and it was very convenient when I moved within the city to move all of my belongs except for my large furniture and appliances.

So, as I said, contact me and I can help you find the things that you need before you arrive and/or help when you actually make that move here.

There is a Salvation Army Family Thrift Store - 700th block of North Penn Avenue - Oklahoma City, Ok
Goodwill - various locations - OKC, OK
Uptown Thrift Stores - various locations - OKC, OK
Community Thrift Stores - various locations - OKC
St. Vincent DePaul - NW 10th and MacArthur - OKC, OK
Also Antique Shops and Malls, several garage sales every weekend in many different areas and towns, the Old Paris Flea Market on South Eastern Avenue in OKC, and big trash day when everything is at the curb free for the taking. Many people just put things out because they have redecorated and bought new items, and most times you can find many things in excellent condition just sitting on the curb. I have sooooo many things that I found and acquired from the streets, garage sales and thrift stores. People are amazed when they see the things that I have found and brought into my home. I have a deep passion for antiques and I guess I'm stuck in the '70's. I am 50 years old.
Thank you! I guess a lot of folks do not realize I have been here for going on two years come October 1st.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM

78 posts, read 335,318 times
oh, how funny, I didn't even realize the date on the original post!! glad you guys are settled & doing great!! I'm also a plus size lady and the Good will off of MacArthur has all their plus toward the front right as you walk in, starts the row after all the blazers (first isle) and goes for 3 or 4 rows. Of course I always find something super cute then realize it's a small that someone stuffed over there, lol, but I find all kinds of cute plus size stuff over there. happy shopping to ya!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City