U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 03:05 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,604,530 times

Advertisements

A neighbor of mine told me she thought if you cut off and donated your hair to Locks of Love that a hairdresser will cut and style it for free. I can't find any information on this. On the Locks for Love website they said the only way to tell if a salon participates is if there is a LOL logo in the window. Granted I can have this done anywhere, but if I could get a could new do somewhere and not have to pay bug bucks...why not! Can anywhere fill me in on their salon or experience?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:43 PM

2,558 posts, read 4,829,514 times
When I tried finding one through their site, I came up with nothing.

It is still a great gesture. You need to donate 10 inches of your hair. Wigs will be made for children going through chemo or other hair loss. One of our priests let his hair grow so he could donate it. It was real thick and wavy so someone got a nice wig. I'm still trying to get mine to the right length. Darn split ends keep causing problems.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM

427 posts, read 1,141,027 times
I did it a few years ago, you could try calling a couple of different places, it was a great experience and i'm glad that i did it.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 PM

3,714 posts, read 7,795,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
A neighbor of mine told me she thought if you cut off and donated your hair to Locks of Love that a hairdresser will cut and style it for free. I can't find any information on this. On the Locks for Love website they said the only way to tell if a salon participates is if there is a LOL logo in the window. Granted I can have this done anywhere, but if I could get a could new do somewhere and not have to pay bug bucks...why not! Can anywhere fill me in on their salon or experience?
My daughter did it a few years ago, but not in OK. She got a really nice new do for free for the donation. Go through the phone book and start calling not just salons but stylists as well.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,604,530 times
Default Off with the hair!

I did it!! I cut off more than 12 inches from my hair. I decided to donate my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths Hair Program. I found this program by Googling "hair donations." I didn't find a hair dresser to do it for free (I didn't really care to search, nor did the free matter)...but the cut that came as a result is simply wonderful! It's the best haircut and style I have ever had!!! So it ended up being a win-win for me. I went for Anne Hathaway's new short do!

I had someone pm me a website on Locks of Love Locks of Love. After reading what it had to say about LOL, I decided to search for an alternate program to donate to. Thus, the Pantene Beautiful Lengths Program http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_U...lpingwomen.jsp.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 10-06-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 7,527,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I did it!! I cut off more than 12 inches from my hair. I decided to donate my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths Hair Program. I found this program by Googling "hair donations." I didn't find a hair dresser to do it for free (I didn't really care to search, nor did the free matter)...but the cut that came as a result is simply wonderful! It's the best haircut and style I have ever had!!! So it ended up being a win-win for me. I went for Anne Hathaway's new short do!

I had someone pm me a website on Locks of Love Locks of Love. After reading what it had to say about LOL, I decided to search for an alternate program to donate to. Thus, the Pantene Beautiful Lengths Program Wigs for Cancer Patients -- Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
Good for you for donating your hair! I'm glad you're happy with your new "do" also. Thanks for posting that info on Locks of Love. Very interesting.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM

633 posts, read 1,542,625 times
Cottonwood spa does the locks of love... Welcome to Cottonwood Salon Spa Has it on thier website right on the front page. Not sure if they give you a free cut, but have been told they do. They are off of 33rd, between Broadway and Blvd, in Edmond.

But since you already had yours done it wont help you much... Maybe it will help someone else though.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,911 times
I have looked Everywhere trying to find a place where i can donate my hair to locks of love. I have good thick curly blonde hair and i know it will make a good wig for someone who needs it for medical purposes. I'm worried going to a salon who may say that they will donate the hair to a good cause, but nowadays the hair market has changed and there is a large demand for wigs by women who are just to lazy to style their own hair, and i know this sounds dumb but i have carried around this mop for a long time and i don't want it to end up as extensions on someone's head who lives in the West Coast. I don't Understand why more information isn't out there on places that work with the locks of love organization. I'm just about to say forgetaboutit but i have 12 inches plus it will be a shame to just throw it away when it could do so much good for someone..

Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,170 times
Did some research and came up with two salons in NoVA. Check out Bristles & Shears in Sterling or Tranquility Day Spa in Haymarket. My husband is finally ready to donate and only feels comfortable going to a place familiar with the locks of love guidelines. Also, a free haircut doesn't hurt either!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,282,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2&counting View Post
Did some research and came up with two salons in NoVA. Check out Bristles & Shears in Sterling or Tranquility Day Spa in Haymarket. My husband is finally ready to donate and only feels comfortable going to a place familiar with the locks of love guidelines. Also, a free haircut doesn't hurt either!
Well, considering this is posted on the Oklahoma City forum, I'm thinking that free haircut in NoVa, wouldn't be too free by the time they traveled half way across the country just to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City