U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:20 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,502,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmills View Post
Tulsa is considered to be a good testing market and often the reason it is chosen over OKC. They typically get the initial OK store. It has everything to do with demographics. Tulsa has a higher income earning base then that of OKC in a more dense area. OKC is very spread out and more risky as most consumers focus on price as opposed to selection or quality. Any company putting in a store in OKC almost always locates it in or around Edmond where you see higher incomes and consumers less focused on price as the primary decision maker. Ive worked with several economic development companies and they typically say it boils down to population density, income and incentives offered up by municipalities.
Correct. Tulsa is more dense, has higher income, and in general has more of a "big city" mentality than OKC does. It all goes back to how Tulsa developed vs OKC, but Tulsa is the real primate city of Oklahoma. The OKC metro area consists basically of three separate cities grown into one (OKC/Edmond, Midwest City/Del City, Moore/Norman) and its all very spread out. People in OKC are used to this and will typically drive a lot farther for amenities than people in other cities, but national chains don't take this into account, and continue to see Tulsa as the preferable market in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:00 AM

9,427 posts, read 13,834,895 times
Uptown Grocery opened last week. Now give me a Kroger or Publix and life will be good. Has anyone been to the Asian store on Military Rd?

Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 PM

95 posts, read 92,048 times
Super Cao Nguyen?

It's only one of the best (although not cheapest!) Asian grocery stores in the state. Caters more to Chinese/Vietnamese but you can find foods for Korean/Japanese as well.

The steam bun vendors at the entrance are pretty good. Nice little snack to get on the way out.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:52 AM

Thank you for the positive feed back Fiberpills. It is on the "to explore list" as I am running out of shrimp chips and everything else.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 AM

95 posts, read 92,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Thank you for the positive feed back Fiberpills. It is on the "to explore list" as I am running out of shrimp chips and everything else.

I forgot to mention that it also has one of the only "true" butcher counters in the entire city. A while back I searched the entire city to find pork shank to make a German dish, and the only place they had it fresh cut was Super Cao Nguyen.

The cuts themselves aren't going to be USDA choice or prime, but you can get parts of the animal that most stores won't sell.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Good to know! The butcher in Mustang is also in my list once I am done babysitting contractors.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 AM

Downtown's Chinatown has two Asian stores side by side. The Vietnamese one has some international foods; jelly, pasta, condiments mainly and a wide variety of vegetables. Take out seems to be a brisk business. The Chinese one is a bit more authentic. Prices are very reasonable.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 PM

7,779 posts, read 8,136,407 times
Maybe there isn't enough support for one. When I lived there I never heard it mentioned about better store.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Maybe there isn't enough support for one. When I lived there I never heard it mentioned about better store.
I do not understand Rubi.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,502,580 times
A majority of people are in OKC are happy enough shopping at Wal-Mart. For those who do want a better store, there are a few options available today that weren't here just a few years ago. The new Uptown Grocery on N May is as nice as any grocery store in a real city. There still isn't much near downtown though. One day if/when that ever changes, this will be a much less valid complaint about life in OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City