Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:09 AM

34 posts, read 156,129 times

Advertisements

Looking at purchasing a new-build home from Rausch Coleman Homes. Is there any feeback on this company you can offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,513 times
I think they're fine as starter/empty nest homes or something you're not expecting to be in long-term. They're listed as one of the top builders in the US, but still expect cheap materials unless you're willing to spend $ on upgrades that will go towards your mortgage. We built with Ideal Homes and chose to go with the basics so we could make upgrades ourselves if needed. We've had several cosmetic issues with this house and one major ac malfunction but the nice thing about a new home is that it's under warranty for that kind of stuff the 1st yr.
I've heard from my BIL who does tile for a living that they're cheaply made but that's coming from someone who routinely works on $500k+ homes.
I would just google and see if you can find any negative reviews. More often than not, most complaints are on customer service with new home builders.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM

34 posts, read 156,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery'sMommy View Post
I think they're fine as starter/empty nest homes or something you're not expecting to be in long-term. They're listed as one of the top builders in the US, but still expect cheap materials unless you're willing to spend $ on upgrades that will go towards your mortgage. We built with Ideal Homes and chose to go with the basics so we could make upgrades ourselves if needed. We've had several cosmetic issues with this house and one major ac malfunction but the nice thing about a new home is that it's under warranty for that kind of stuff the 1st yr.
I've heard from my BIL who does tile for a living that they're cheaply made but that's coming from someone who routinely works on $500k+ homes.
I would just google and see if you can find any negative reviews. More often than not, most complaints are on customer service with new home builders.

Thanks for the response Emery'sMommy. We are purchasing the home for my mother who is near retirement age. She is on a limited income so we are trying to maximize what she has to retire on. I did do a google search and didn't find anything significant as far as complaints. We are looking at getting a basic model and will make upgrades as we go as well.

I'm planning on hiring a real estate attorney to look over the sales contract as there is no buyers agent involved. If you happen to have a real estate attorney referral, it would be great if you could private message me with the contact info. Thank you again!!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Emery'sMommy is right. I will expand and say that according to my friend who's plugged in to OKC real estate Rausch Coleman Homes do not hold their value well. They are viewed as being a low end mass builder. You may not be familiar with this area but my worry is that a lot of 70's era neighborhoods in and around OKC that were similarly built "fast and cheap" are really starting to look bad, and a few are getting a criminal element to them. Not trying to alarm you. But that would be something to consider if your mother plans to live in the home long term.

As far as big OKC builders are concerned, I would personally avoid them as well as Home Creations as neither have the best reputation. On the flip side, I've heard good things about Ideal Homes and Jeff Click Homes (although both are probably more $$). I've also met someone who built with Vesta Homes and had good things to say.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiS View Post
Thanks for the response Emery'sMommy. We are purchasing the home for my mother who is near retirement age. She is on a limited income so we are trying to maximize what she has to retire on. I did do a google search and didn't find anything significant as far as complaints. We are looking at getting a basic model and will make upgrades as we go as well.

I'm planning on hiring a real estate attorney to look over the sales contract as there is no buyers agent involved. If you happen to have a real estate attorney referral, it would be great if you could private message me with the contact info. Thank you again!!
We didn't use an attorney but as first time buyers we didn't really know better either.
If you're looking for a neighborhood to build in with quite a few retirees, check out Ideal Homes, specifically Fountain Grass at SW29th and Morgan. There's 2 bedroom floor plans with one car garages that many retirees have chosen to reside in. There's sidewalks, a gravel walking trail, pond to fish in- a good portion of homeowners here sit on their porches and actually interact with one another.
Plus I don't worry so much about this neighborhood declining b/c it's surrounding by 200-500k neighborhoods and right across from an elementary school. It's in a fairly rural area but very easy to get on 1-40 and into town.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM

14 posts, read 60,135 times
As far as you needing a real estate attorney to buy a home I would only suggest that you need that if its an older home and you are buying from an individual and no agents are involved and you need certain assurances in regards to conditions, repairs,or other items that possibly may come up after closing and you want it wriiten in the contract that either you or the seller is preparing. Other than that all real estate contracts are standard forms that follow set real estate laws set by the state .You can hire or request a full home inspection in regards to condition of the property. All reputable homebuilders give a 1 year warranty on any problems and manufactures of products give a 1 year if not more on appliances, roof, ac unit, etc...
I also sent you a private message

Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 PM

46 posts, read 178,597 times
Why would you spend the money to hire an attorney and not use a Real Estate Agent? Most Real Estate Agents don't charge for their time if you are buying a home. Most builders use there own contract and not the state's contract.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 60,858 times
Default rausch coleman

We've been in a rausch coleman home for about a year now and so far it's been pretty good. As far as that post saying that there homes don't hold there value that is not true. My home was appraised for 3,000 more than the asking price upgrades where already included in the home. I live in the rock creek area in moore.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 60,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerry01 View Post
As far as you needing a real estate attorney to buy a home I would only suggest that you need that if its an older home and you are buying from an individual and no agents are involved and you need certain assurances in regards to conditions, repairs,or other items that possibly may come up after closing and you want it wriiten in the contract that either you or the seller is preparing. Other than that all real estate contracts are standard forms that follow set real estate laws set by the state .You can hire or request a full home inspection in regards to condition of the property. All reputable homebuilders give a 1 year warranty on any problems and manufactures of products give a 1 year if not more on appliances, roof, ac unit, etc...
I also sent you a private message
Before looking into rausch coleman i was really looking forward to getting an ideal home in the yukon area. But due their underhanded tactics and hidden racism i decided not to go with them. I don't believe this represents ideal homes as a whole company but applies specifically office manager and building manager to that addition in yukon and it left a bad taste in our mouths.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboyesquiere View Post
Before looking into rausch coleman i was really looking forward to getting an ideal home in the yukon area. But due their underhanded tactics and hidden racism i decided not to go with them. I don't believe this represents ideal homes as a whole company but applies specifically office manager and building manager to that addition in yukon and it left a bad taste in our mouths.
Yikes well that sucks! We worked with a wonderful lady who now manages in Stillwater. But we have a fairly multi-racial neighborhood and I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City