Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Possible Sprouts locations are being heard thru the grapevine. Welcome to Sprouts Farmers Market
Great idea. If they show up in OkC, this would be great. I have to say with the new NBA team and all, it's only a matter of time until OkC gets some really high end stores. Those millionaire athletes want to spend that money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times
They are expected to show up at 63rd and May, Edmond and another location. Hopefully it will happen or those players are gonna get hungry.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
They are expected to show up at 63rd and May, Edmond and another location. Hopefully it will happen or those players are gonna get hungry.
Seriously, those millionaires and their wives/girlfriends will want to shop for the high end products. I believe a store or two could survive on their expenditures alone!

And they do eat A LOT!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:08 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Default Wegman's

I concur about Crescent Market - there's nothing like it. But ultimately it's too small. Homeland just doesn't cut it either.

If I was the CEO of Wegman's, I'd be hightailing it into the OKC market with plans for at least 5 stores - they'd corner the market in no time.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I concur about Crescent Market - there's nothing like it. But ultimately it's too small. Homeland just doesn't cut it either.

If I was the CEO of Wegman's, I'd be hightailing it into the OKC market with plans for at least 5 stores - they'd corner the market in no time.
I would LOVE to see a Wegman's here.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Serious question. What does selling liquor have to do with the quality of products in a grocery store? I understand the liquor laws in Oklahoma are weird, but don't get the connection. Maybe it's been too long of a day at work...
I agree, we lived in Texas for 13 years, a good part of that time the area we lived in sold no booze in the grocery stores or anywhere else for that matter, we still had a huge selection of places to shop. In NM we had a problem with decent chain grocery stores and here in NWA we have nothing except a couple of little stores and WalMart. I think it has more to do with the times than anything else. It is like major deptartment store who are either out or on their way out. Times change. Many will blame Wal Mart, I don't think this is totally true. We do have one local store here that I frequent most of the time, their prices are, on many things actually lower than WalMart. Of course most of us frequent places like Sams and Cosco as well. The day of huge super markets may be the olden days..Just a thought I haven't seen mentioned.

Nita

Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitook View Post
From what I understand, profit margins are slim on many food products. Alcohol is a big profit-booster.
I would do immoral acts to get a Trader Joe's here, but they couldn't sell two-buck Chuck
boy would that be a dream come true. I was in Trader Joes in St Louis about a month ago; according to the guy I spoke with, no TJ in the future in our area or Texas until they build a warehouse. I heard the same thing before we left New Mexico as to why there were none in the Mid to southern part of the country. I didn't take it seriously. When I heard it the second time I was convinced or almost. It isn't just the $2.00 ($3) buck Chuck it everything else they sell as well. Someone mentioned Sprouts, they are fun and on the same line, but just not up to Trader Joes.

Nita

Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, we lived in Texas for 13 years, a good part of that time the area we lived in sold no booze in the grocery stores or anywhere else for that matter, we still had a huge selection of places to shop.
Nita
That's exactly what I've been saying for some time now. The "no liquor in grocery stores" theory doesn't hold water. In New Jersey liquor, beer and wine can only be sold in a liquor store, and there is a plethora of high end, elite, gourmet supermarkets.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
That's exactly what I've been saying for some time now. The "no liquor in grocery stores" theory doesn't hold water. In New Jersey liquor, beer and wine can only be sold in a liquor store, and there is a plethora of high end, elite, gourmet supermarkets.
The same as when we lived in VA. We could buy beer and wine, everything else was purchased via the state stores.

There still are many areas with great chain grocery stores, with or without booze, but I am thinking, they could be a dieing breed, just like dept stores. I am not going to say, sad, as you have seen my posts on moving forward. I will say it is something we will all remember. Grocery stores are not going to die in the next 10 years, but wait about 20. Just as I remember being a little girl in a suberb of Los Angeles and taking my list for mommy to our neighborhood store. I would buy what she wanted, charge it, walk home with a couple fo bags of groceries and she would pay the bill the end of the month....those days are gone..

Old 09-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There still are many areas with great chain grocery stores, with or without booze, but I am thinking, they could be a dieing breed, just like dept stores. I am not going to say, sad, as you have seen my posts on moving forward. I will say it is something we will all remember. Grocery stores are not going to die in the next 10 years, but wait about 20. ..
I don't understand what you mean. What do you think will take the place of supermarkets?

I also remember going with my aunt every saturday for her to get her "order." She would go around this small neighborhood grocery store, getting what she wanted and they they would pack it all in boxes, and they would drive her and her groceries home. They billed her once a month, too. The would always let me "sample" some things like loose candy and cookies. Yes, those days are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City