Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
There has always been a strong Italian influence in New Jersey, which is why I assume the olive bars are popular. You can get sun dried tomatoes, olives, pickled mushrooms, and fresh mozzarella cheese at these bars. They are a section in the supermarket. Also, all types of gourmet cheeses and fresh pasta are available as well. Maybe somewhere in OKC there might be a small shop that carries this stuff. I'll have to investigate.
I thought it might be the Italian influence, it is like the Mexican food sections in stores throughout NM,Tx, AZ and Ca. All states now carry some Mexican groceries but not like the south west. The stores here have an entire section of Mexican specialties, but it is a joke...most everything is just canned, they do sell Cilantro at twice what we paid in NM a couple of months ago, think most Mexican food comes in cans and I doubt I will be able to find everything I need to make my tomales in December. I will probably be able to go to Springdale which has a fairly high Mexican population. I sure hope so.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 02:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I thought it might be the Italian influence, it is like the Mexican food sections in stores throughout NM,Tx, AZ and Ca. All states now carry some Mexican groceries but not like the south west. The stores here have an entire section of Mexican specialties, but it is a joke...most everything is just canned, they do sell Cilantro at twice what we paid in NM a couple of months ago, think most Mexican food comes in cans and I doubt I will be able to find everything I need to make my tomales in December. I will probably be able to go to Springdale which has a fairly high Mexican population. I sure hope so.

Nita
Go to the Mexican market in Tulsa on the SW corner of 21st and Garnett. You can get just about anything there, including fresh posole in either white or blue for about $0.60 a pound (last time I was there). You can get masa there as well as cabrito if you want good tomales. Most ofthe other spices, meats, and condiments are available there as well. they are probably as good as anything you will find in Alb, although I doubt you will find Hatch chili's or Chimayo chili or New Mexican pinon.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Go to the Mexican market in Tulsa on the SW corner of 21st and Garnett. You can get just about anything there, including fresh posole in either white or blue for about $0.60 a pound (last time I was there). You can get masa there as well as cabrito if you want good tomales. Most ofthe other spices, meats, and condiments are available there as well. they are probably as good as anything you will find in Alb, although I doubt you will find Hatch chili's or Chimayo chili or New Mexican pinon.
But that is a long way to go from BV. You mention Posole, that is the one Mexican or southwestern food I really don't care for, now the masa is what I would be looking for. Actually when we head down to Dallas we could swing over that way which really isn't all that much further. I might think of doing that if I can't find the ingredients here. Thanks.

Nita

Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
I don't quite understand what the problem is. As a European I have quite an eclectic taste in food and have no problem finding what I need in ethnic food stores in Tulsa, OKC, Krebs and other places around Oklahoma.

Personally, I find stores like Albertsons and Kroger highly over rated and overpriced and underwhelming in the quality dept.

And what I can't find in ethnic stores around here I get on line.

BTW ... just discovered a fantastic Asian market in OKC ..... they have everything from tripe to pigs feet to live frogs to any spice and herb imaginable.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I don't quite understand what the problem is. As a European I have quite an eclectic taste in food and have no problem finding what I need in ethnic food stores in Tulsa, OKC, Krebs and other places around Oklahoma.

Personally, I find stores like Albertsons and Kroger highly over rated and overpriced and underwhelming in the quality dept.

And what I can't find in ethnic stores around here I get on line.

BTW ... just discovered a fantastic Asian market in OKC ..... they have everything from tripe to pigs feet to live frogs to any spice and herb imaginable.
and exactly what you say is the reason I believe in 20 years "super markets" will be a thing of the past. So many prefer specialty markets or bulk shopping. It is like the dept store and large Malls, many of them are struggling. People shop on line, like small specialty stores, smaller shops like Kohls, discount outlets of it nothing else, for those who are in a lower income bracket, Target and WalMart

Nita

Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,219 times
OKC has a large hispanic population considering the diversity such as the asian district....
(This is about OKC...RIGHT?)
South of the Border Meat Market (Western between SW 29th and SW 30th).
THE GREATER OKLAHOMA CITY HISPANIC CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
Article about the Asian district in OKC...
Redevelopment plan under way for OKC's Asian District | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET
Asia District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Today Oklahoma City is considered to be somewhat of an Asian oasis in the South-Central U.S., as there are multitudes of authentic restaurants, nightclubs, shops, Asian supermarkets and grocery stores concentrated in the area; traditional Hong Kong dim sum and Taiwanese Bubble Tea are no longer hard to find as they predominate Asia District and the metro area".

OKC’s asian district featured in the New York Times | Oklahoma City Restaurants
Doug Dawgz Blog: Asian District - The Underground

Oldest high school in the state (Mt. Saint Mary, since 1903)...Its near Sacred Heart...The largest hispanic population in Oklahoma is in OKC..
Mount St. Mary High School

Last edited by happytown; 09-16-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 20,693 times
Talking If we build it (great grocery store), will you come?

Okay, enough is enough. This idea of ours time has come. Want to join in? Let me know if you want to be part of the new grocery store or let us know if you will come when it gets up and running. HOORAY! Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in OKC!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerystoreokc View Post
Okay, enough is enough. This idea of ours time has come. Want to join in? Let me know if you want to be part of the new grocery store or let us know if you will come when it gets up and running. HOORAY! Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in OKC!
I will be there, even living in NWA if it is Trader Joes, Whole Foods is a little pricier so I may have to think about driving 2 plus hours...

Nita

Old 09-21-2008, 07:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerystoreokc View Post
I doubt it. I am not familiar with Trader Joe's but considering there are multiple locations on both coasts I can only assume that it is more of the same ..... inflated prices for underwhelming quality. Like Whole Foods.

I'll just stick with my ethnic stores .... thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I doubt it. I am not familiar with Trader Joe's but considering there are multiple locations on both coasts I can only assume that it is more of the same ..... inflated prices for underwhelming quality. Like Whole Foods.

I'll just stick with my ethnic stores .... thanks
Hey Schousse, if I wanted to find "ethnic" stores in OKC, how do I go about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City