Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 PM

972 posts, read 1,326,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
A good example of too much growth in OKC is Chesapeake, which is one of the largest energy companies in the US. The organization quickly built a huge campus and bought a lot of buildings along Western Ave. (a popular entertainment area). Many of these buildings have been destroyed for all types of retail etc. Lots of big time future plans for great development has gone south because of the recent economic crisis. Current news has the company coming back up, but many of the projects will not go forward for a couple of years.
The traffic around the campus, noise and air pollution created by the developing of that area, in addition to the horrible walmart development that went in has ruined the quality of living in that area for the smaller neighborhoods. I am sure many disagree with me but this is where I stand on this, having been a resident since the 90's.. I do not see such things as improvement. In my mind they could have built it close to the highway business parks, east of the current campus where it would not have negatively impacted western ave, a historic and loved jewel of NW OKC, and the unique historic neighborhoods around it.

I remember everyone saying.. shhh this is great for our property values. Oh realllyyy I didn't agree then and now I am proved right. It only helped those in the housing bubble that wanted to flip a house for profit before the fall. It does not help the quality of life for those that call the area home for the long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I have to agree with this Synopsis. It would be nice to see the city focusing on infill development vs. continued growth south & west.

I'd like to see some of the somewhat neglected areas between downtown and Bethany, and also from downtown northwards to Nichols Village, brought up to snuff. It would be a huge boost for city overall, IMO.
light rail. I agree we need that so why are trying to remove the light rail we do have downtown to make way for a new highway that could easily be built where it wouldnt take out the light rails down there.
Board rules railroad company falsified Crosstown Expressway documents | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/2195/Default.aspx - broken link)

Im not sure where this story is now, if we get to keep it or these big business people who want the $ from the building contracts of the highway will push us into a more self-destructing backwards moving typical sinkhole.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM

498 posts, read 1,599,865 times
I agree about Belle Isle Station. If I had $$$, I'd swoop in, buy the property, raze Belle Isle Station and build a quality, gorgeous, pleasing to the eye development... and urban open air lifestyle center with no surface parking, lush gardens and a historic restoration of Belle Isle Lake.

I disagree, however, about the railroad. There is a ton of room to build a new railyard... despite the brainwashing from Tom Elmore... building the new I-40 won't destroy Union Station, just the useless warped railroad. With enough vision, new rail can be developed. I would prefer to see the Crosstown Bridge come down.... with no traffic on it.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 9,930 times
If our city leaders had the desire to make OKC like DFW, then it could be done.
Think of massive investment in our public transportation, building light-rail throughout the city, discouraging suburban development, promoting new urbanism and downtown developments. Yet at the same time greatly improving our highway transportations, building up tourism so more companies could relocate to our city. Also, not all companies have to be in downtown... it would be nice if the city or suburbs organized massive suburban office parks/high rises also known as edge cities which would be appealing for being a multi modal city and companies. I think the city's southside could be a good candidate for nice office development. Oh yea and last but not least, if demand shows that jobs are increasing, then it would be important to build another terminal at our airport.......... well seems like this is just a dream... it all starts with desire.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 AM

498 posts, read 1,599,865 times
Well said, rocketcamp.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:15 AM

all good ideas..

Old 10-25-2008, 08:03 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,980,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
We need better schools in the inner city. All my friends move out after they have kids to edmond or norman. It's really sad because I Know many of them really miss it here. I myself may be moving soon for school related issues. If you can't afford a private school or just want your kids to attend public, it's not that great here.
This is a very good point. My belief is that this will change as more Oklahomans rediscover the benefits of living in the areas closer to downtown/midtown, but it will take time...a lot of time.

One example of a school that's really improved is Wilson Elementary, on the northern edge of Heritage Hills. Lots of parents started volunteering their time to improve the school, and it's payed off. I hope that trend continues across the city.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,739,762 times
Quote:
The traffic around the campus, noise and air pollution created by the developing of that area, in addition to the horrible walmart development that went in has ruined the quality of living in that area for the smaller neighborhoods. I am sure many disagree with me but this is where I stand on this, having been a resident since the 90's.. I do not see such things as improvement. In my mind they could have built it close to the highway business parks, east of the current campus where it would not have negatively impacted western ave, a historic and loved jewel of NW OKC, and the unique historic neighborhoods around it.

I remember everyone saying.. shhh this is great for our property values. Oh realllyyy I didn't agree then and now I am proved right. It only helped those in the housing bubble that wanted to flip a house for profit before the fall. It does not help the quality of life for those that call the area home for the long-term.
I totally disagree. Chess has allowed the smaller establishments to thrive due to its precence and has only had serious construction along 63rd and Western and Classen Dr. The campus has also added a higher quality of life by sweeping away strip malls and gas stations. It also added much needed architecture which would be called Georgian and is considered very beautiful at OKState.
All the historic neighborhoods along Western have thrived, you can obviously see positve new development. Chess is developing along Classen dr. which is designed to bring in high end retailand cool off that tucked away wal-mart.
I have been a part of the fabric for a longer time when I remember nothing substantial happening at all. Western/The area has been turned into a jewel not the opposite.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
I totally disagree. Chess has allowed the smaller establishments to thrive due to its precence and has only had serious construction along 63rd and Western and Classen Dr. The campus has also added a higher quality of life by sweeping away strip malls and gas stations. It also added much needed architecture which would be called Georgian and is considered very beautiful at OKState.
All the historic neighborhoods along Western have thrived, you can obviously see positve new development. Chess is developing along Classen dr. which is designed to bring in high end retailand cool off that tucked away wal-mart.
I have been a part of the fabric for a longer time when I remember nothing substantial happening at all. Western/The area has been turned into a jewel not the opposite.
DONT AGREE. too much traffic, too much construction making us have headaches, too little thought.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 10-25-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,739,762 times
Quote:
DONT AGREE. too much traffic, too much construction making us have headaches, too little thought.
We can agree to disagree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City