Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 28,514 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Oklahoma city. My partner is from here and wants to come home. I'm wondering how the autism services are in the area or surrounding areas (50 mile radus). We have a 8 yr old son with high functioning autism. We currently live in Texas and receive wonderful services for him at school. I know we have heard horror stories about the services in Oklahoma or lack their of but I'm hoping their not as bad as it sounds. Even interested in private schools if they can offer anything better.

Thanks for any info available
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 28,549 times
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ASOCO/I (broken link) recommend going to this site and posting your question. I am the mother of a 6 year old with PDD-NOS and I live in Oklahoma City. I am not very impressed the level of services that we have here in Oklahoma. In fact, I am rather disappointed in the number of services (or lack thereof) we have here. I am seriously considering moving once I have graduated from school. However, I am poor, so I don't have access to some of the services that are available to those with greater financial means.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 PM

22 posts, read 92,835 times
I have a 13 year old with Aspergers and ADHD, and a 7 year old with lots of issues. I just moved here a few months ago from the Tulsa area, and almost everyone I met recommended Edmond school district as the place to go with a special needs child. Since we were moving with an IEP and 504 plan already hammered out, I wasn't sure what kind of response I would get from the schools, but they accepted both the IEP and 504 plan from our old school district, and have been very responsive to my questions. It took some pushing for a transportation issue, but it was ironed out in short time. I've been less happy with the updates/progress reports, but right now there are no major issues so I'm just taking a wait and see approach since both kids are doing well.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 AM

160 posts, read 975,489 times
We also moved from another state to Edmond and have experienced a battle with the schools to get any services and what we are getting is NOTHING compared to what we had. Be careful about a move here. Will send you a PM regarding this and my experiences.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,215 times
I have been living here in OKC for six weeks now and it feels like I have been here for so much longer. I have a low functioning autistic eleven year old who I homeschool and we were just told by the pediatrician here not to expect much in the way of services. I am disapointed because so far we love it here. We could not afford to move to the states where the services are really good. She was not getting any services in Florida.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:04 AM

160 posts, read 975,489 times
I am really sorry to hear that, Floridamom. I really do feel your pain. Luckily, my child is high functioning which makes some things easier, but certainly there are issues that need to be addressed. Keep searching. I did find a very good psychologist and she has been great to have as being knew here and to the ASD community we are still learning. Good luck to you.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:31 AM

2 posts, read 28,514 times
Thank you all so much for your response. Unfortunatly looks to be a move that we are definatly making. I also heard that Edmond schools are good and we are looking into Midwest City area. Does anyone know anything about here?
I am very nerous about this move because my son really does get good services in Texas and I hate to move somewhere he might possibley regress.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 28,549 times
Well, good luck with the move. I grew up in Midwest City and the schools were pretty good for NT children. However, I know of 2 ASD children that were at two separate schools and both parents were having problems with the schools, but you never know. I would just check it out first.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 14,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2littlemonsters View Post
We are considering moving to Oklahoma city. My partner is from here and wants to come home. I'm wondering how the autism services are in the area or surrounding areas (50 mile radus). We have a 8 yr old son with high functioning autism. We currently live in Texas and receive wonderful services for him at school. I know we have heard horror stories about the services in Oklahoma or lack their of but I'm hoping their not as bad as it sounds. Even interested in private schools if they can offer anything better.

Thanks for any info available

Hello, I am the office manager at a clinic that treats children with ADD, ADHD, and all forms of Autism (high and low functioning). We have several treatments available without the use of drugs. All of the procedures that are performed are completely natural.
My clinic treats several other conditions as well. You can also visit our website at [URL="http://www.trinityclinicokc.com"]www.trinityclinicokc.com[/URL] there is not a lot of information regarding autism on that website, but there is information regarding our hyperbaric oxygen therapy which is one treatment that we use. We also use chelation IV therapy, vitamin and nutrition cousiling, and brain balancing therapy. We do have several doctors on staff. There is a lot of information out there. To my knowledge we are the only clinic on OKC that is treating ADD, ADHD, and autism with these types of therapies.

If you would like you can also call my office directly. 405-848-7246. If you would like to ask questions please call my office. My name is Alicia. Just ask for me when you call.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 18,186 times
To all parents that are concerned about their child's education,

Deer Creek Schools are not a good choice. Especially if your kids receive special education services. Their special education department is corrupt and unethical. They often qualify kids inappropriately and make up test results to agree with what they want. Many of the schools try to overidentify kids and try to pull them out of the classroom too much! I would not recommend Deer Creek to any parent. It is a horrible place to be unless you have been there your whole life. The Special Education Director is engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a supervisee and this has clouded his judgement. He should be replaced immediately!

Concerned Deer Creek citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City