U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,689,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That's a relief!!!! Does anyone know~how close is it to the San Andreas (sp?) faultline? Is that one in Ark. or Mo.?
San Andreas is in CA. The major one that runs through Arkansas and Missouri and Illinois is the New Madrid fault. But after doing some twiddling looking up faults today, I'd be a lot more worried about the ones running under Yellowstone Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 AM

9,477 posts, read 6,473,576 times
Quote:
That's a relief!!!! Does anyone know~how close is it to the San Andreas (sp?) faultline? Is that one in Ark. or Mo.?
Thats in southern california... runs right through the middle of the state. The most risky part, where the coming Big One will come is around Palm Springs (near where I used to live). They are expecting an 8.0 range quake in an area where the building code takes quakes into account.

Glad that this fault shouldn't hit us. A 7 quake here would be more like a 10 with building codes... poor states east.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,507,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
San Andreas is in CA. The major one that runs through Arkansas and Missouri and Illinois is the New Madrid fault. But after doing some twiddling looking up faults today, I'd be a lot more worried about the ones running under Yellowstone Park.
Yea, Kari, I've read some of the disturbing news on Yellowstone Park too. Just one more thing on the (very long) list of things to be anxious about. Good thing I never read the list!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM

279 posts, read 710,072 times
On the news here in OKLAHOMA CITY.
It said. Quote-"If an earthquake was to happen you would feel it here also."

Exact words. Im not posting false information.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM

It wouldnt be catastrophic here in OKC.
But it would be felt.

Were in the plains. There is no major mountains to block the aftershock like LA has. It would be felt for a great distance. Im pretty sure of it because on the Science Channel they did a documentary on if one were to strike in Memphis.

Lol

Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 AM

11,882 posts, read 24,258,425 times
Interesting. How do mountains block a quake? I didn't know they could affect earthquakes.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 AM

492 posts, read 895,552 times
probably more absorption upwards rather than horizontally in the mountains. like insulation or something

Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,154,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
You're right and thank you for pointing that out to me. Kind of funny cause a few hours after I had posted that, it came back into my mind and I just KNEW that wasn't the right fault.

Synopsis, this week the weather channel had a fascinating "It Could Happen Tomorrow" episode about that very thing. It was over in the Pacific Northwest and they talked about two faultlines~one north of Seattle and the other south of Seattle. The one to the north couldn't go any further because it was blocked by mountains and they're not able to go under them, over them, or through them. It showed a diagram how the north fault had nowhere to go so the two faults just kind of had Seattle squeezed and they feared the worst. Maybe you can still catch that show because it was quite fascinating.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,689,065 times
Quote:
You're right and thank you for pointing that out to me. Kind of funny cause a few hours after I had posted that, it came back into my mind and I just KNEW that wasn't the right fault.

Synopsis, this week the weather channel had a fascinating "It Could Happen Tomorrow" episode about that very thing. It was over in the Pacific Northwest and they talked about two faultlines~one north of Seattle and the other south of Seattle. The one to the north couldn't go any further because it was blocked by mountains and they're not able to go under them, over them, or through them. It showed a diagram how the north fault had nowhere to go so the two faults just kind of had Seattle squeezed and they feared the worst. Maybe you can still catch that show because it was quite fascinating.
We were north of Bellingham in 2001 when the Nisqually quake hit. I think the epicenter was south of Seattle, but it traveled north all the way into Canada, as I recall. We were living in a house on a rather high bluff overlooking Puget Sound when the TV went off, and went outside to see if someone had hit a phone pole. We were just in time to watch a ground wave move along the road, it was a ripple about 6" high. I have no idea why it didn't damage the road, but it didn't. I prefer my Terra to be Firma!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Interesting. How do mountains block a quake? I didn't know they could affect earthquakes.

Im not sure how it works but they said that the LA area is surrounded by mountains that that keeps the shock in the area. But if one were to hit memphis it would travel for a ways because we dont have any major mountains to contain it. They show plenty reruns. haha. Im sure you could catch it. (science channel)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City