Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,459,392 times

Advertisements

We, being Oklahoma, have minor earthquakes all the time. We just can't feel them until they are, what- a 3.5 or higher?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/index_map.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,166,913 times
Part of the scope of a quake is the fault line and how many others it effects. The quake in Northridge did indeed effect from far north or there to far south. The aftershocks can go much further than epicenter but most of the time don't.

The other factor is the kind of ground. Marshy land, with wet soil underneath, creates liquifaction. Meaning the ground becomes wet and buildings sink. Areas where the ground is mostly clay shake less, more soil/sand more. Mountains can either block or amplify a quake depending on what faults are alone the one that went.

Two places you really don't want to be are in an area where liqufactaion happens or over a landfill which may not support the weight of a swaying building. Or in the bottom half of an old two story building which may not have the kind of support for the second story required now. (70's and before)

Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,374,854 times
I noted the posting re earthquakes. Alaska, in the past 9 or 10 years or so has had 12,000 some quakes; some are never felt. AK is the #1 State for quakes.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 AM

266 posts, read 968,564 times
But I think the point was that how would a .7 earthquake affect a gas line?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:59 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,374,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
But I think the point was that how would a .7 earthquake affect a gas line?
They typed it incorrectly. They meant a 7.0. And to stay on topic, a 7.0 quake affecting a gas line.....I don't even want to think about that. That's how devastating it could be.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM

279 posts, read 1,011,022 times
Yes I had typed it incorrectly. I meant 7.0

Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 PM

279 posts, read 1,011,022 times
Default Really Great Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Part of the scope of a quake is the fault line and how many others it effects. The quake in Northridge did indeed effect from far north or there to far south. The aftershocks can go much further than epicenter but most of the time don't.

The other factor is the kind of ground. Marshy land, with wet soil underneath, creates liquifaction. Meaning the ground becomes wet and buildings sink. Areas where the ground is mostly clay shake less, more soil/sand more. Mountains can either block or amplify a quake depending on what faults are alone the one that went.

Two places you really don't want to be are in an area where liqufactaion happens or over a landfill which may not support the weight of a swaying building. Or in the bottom half of an old two story building which may not have the kind of support for the second story required now. (70's and before)

Nice Job.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:28 PM

97 posts, read 367,607 times
What's scary is that this fault appears to be separate from the existing New Madrid (Missouri) fault line, which gave out with an 8.0 in 1812 that allegedly broke sidewalks in Washington, D.C.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,286,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
What's scary is that this fault appears to be separate from the existing New Madrid (Missouri) fault line, which gave out with an 8.0 in 1812 that allegedly broke sidewalks in Washington, D.C.
The Good Friday quake in AK was an 8.4, and considering how much damage that one did, I don't even want to be on the same side of the continent as an 8.0!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
We were north of Bellingham in 2001 when the Nisqually quake hit. I think the epicenter was south of Seattle, but it traveled north all the way into Canada, as I recall. We were living in a house on a rather high bluff overlooking Puget Sound when the TV went off, and went outside to see if someone had hit a phone pole. We were just in time to watch a ground wave move along the road, it was a ripple about 6" high. I have no idea why it didn't damage the road, but it didn't. I prefer my Terra to be Firma!
I love it~"you like your "terra to be firma".

Just sort of curious~it seems like they've been discovering several new faults recently. Surely they aren't new, are they? Wouldn't they just be coming to light now because of better instruments and equipment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City