U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2007, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 53,666 times
Default Anyone have info on Office of Personnel Management tests - That is the Merit test

I will be taking the test by Office of Personnel Management by April 9. Instructions are to bring a calculator to the test site. I am horrible at math. Has anyone taken the test? What do I review as far as math is concerned? I need help.
I really need this job so any help would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:23 AM

24,931 posts, read 11,074,334 times
Which position are you testing for? I have taken a few of the tests. They are not too hard. And I HATE math too!

Old 03-17-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPM Test Taker View Post
I will be taking the test by Office of Personnel Management by April 9. Instructions are to bring a calculator to the test site. I am horrible at math. Has anyone taken the test? What do I review as far as math is concerned? I need help.
I really need this job so any help would be appreciated
Believe me, I was out of practice when I took the test for P&P. The main thing about applying for any state job here in OK, is to meet the minimum qualifications/requirements for each position.

Otherwise they won't even let you test. Once you test you will find out more info on re-testing if you are not happy with your score. Once you pass the test, you are on the list of candidates which is ranked by test score, so obviously you want the highest score possible.

I went to the place/employer and took a tour. After I talked to the personnel person, I was then told to go take the test, get on the register, and then they would check the register for my name.

I imagine there are a lot of people vying for State jobs which has one of the best benefit pkgs here in Oklahoma. Good luck.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by _redbird_; 03-17-2007 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: spellin

Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 19,757 times
The test are not hard - However you need to do score as high as posible coz it will determine who looks at your file. You 10th grade math will sail you through.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM

77 posts, read 390,735 times
Office of Personnel Management tests - That is the Merit test

-try looking up test study guides or whatever. Tests for proficiency are for ACT, SAT, Law school....look around the web/surely you can find info on how to study and feel secure about the particular form of test you would be taking. good luck

Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM

Yes, the homeschool sites help, Google searches. They all help. Thanks.
To all.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Update on the test,,,took test April 11,,results recieved April 16.

The test had 9 math questions on it and they were question type, not pure math. The score was 81 with position 59 of 122. If I retake the test and so worse than the first test, do I fall deeper in the list?
Any sense of timeline for hire? I know there are so many variables it is impossible to answer. Administration Programs Officer in 6 counties surrounding Tulsa county is what I entered on the application form.
We shall see,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Believe me, I was out of practice when I took the test for P&P. The main thing about applying for any state job here in OK, is to meet the minimum qualifications/requirements for each position.

Otherwise they won't even let you test. Once you test you will find out more info on re-testing if you are not happy with your score. Once you pass the test, you are on the list of candidates which is ranked by test score, so obviously you want the highest score possible.

I went to the place/employer and took a tour. After I talked to the personnel person, I was then told to go take the test, get on the register, and then they would check the register for my name.

I imagine there are a lot of people vying for State jobs which has one of the best benefit pkgs here in Oklahoma. Good luck.
Keep us posted.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Great to hear you took the test. Now you know what to expect. Your top score stays active and you must renew after so many months.

Important thing is to get your foot in the door because most state jobs are offered to agency-wide first, then if not filled it goes state-wide, meaning other state employees, then it opens to the public.

So obviously you want a state job so you can transfer to other state agencies.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 AM

AHA! I Think I see! Perhaps it is it is a good strategy to test for other jobs that I am qualified for even though the job is not what I want. The idea is to "get your foot in the door" by going to work first, and be on the short list, then test for the job you want from the "inside" position rather than waiting on the list to become shorter.

Is that a funtional method for fast tracking to state employment?

Job applicaton to the state is really different from anything else in my experience and seems to require another set of skills. Patience is the first!

According to the job notice, Administrative Programs Officer is, " *Open Continuously" which may mean there is a turnover.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:13 AM

http://www.ppb.state.ok.us/
Thanks Redbird. You are helpful again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City