U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 PM

2,818 posts, read 6,005,491 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I'll give you a little background just for starters.

I'm 19 and am from New Zealand + planning to move to the USA (pending I get drawn out of the Green Card Lottery this year, just want to plan everything just incase) and in particular Oklahoma City.

Career wise I would like to get into an office but am at the moment working at a freezing works on $19.02 an hour.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of range the Labouring jobs are in Oklahoma City plus the average wage, (don't expect it to be anywhere near what I'm on now).

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:25 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,205,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Hey there, I'll give you a little background just for starters.

I'm 19 and am from New Zealand + planning to move to the USA (pending I get drawn out of the Green Card Lottery this year, just want to plan everything just incase) and in particular Oklahoma City.

Career wise I would like to get into an office but am at the moment working at a freezing works on $19.02 an hour.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of range the Labouring jobs are in Oklahoma City plus the average wage, (don't expect it to be anywhere near what I'm on now).

Thank you in advance.
Hobby Lobby (an art supply type store) always seems to be hiring for laborers -- grounds keepers, dock workers, etc. Their pay starts at $10.00 an hour, which is good for unskilled labor here. And Hobby Lobby has an excellent benefits program for employees. I also see signs on warehouses when I'm riding around that are advertising for help. I don't know what the pay is.

My 19 year old son is in carpenter school, and works part time at a local supermarket, but that's minimum wage ($6.55 per hour -- going up to $7.25 in July.) Full time labor jobs seem to pay more. What's freezing works?

Good luck with your Green Card Lottery!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM

2,818 posts, read 6,005,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Hobby Lobby (an art supply type store) always seems to be hiring for laborers -- grounds keepers, dock workers, etc. Their pay starts at $10.00 an hour, which is good for unskilled labor here. And Hobby Lobby has an excellent benefits program for employees. I also see signs on warehouses when I'm riding around that are advertising for help. I don't know what the pay is.

My 19 year old son is in carpenter school, and works part time at a local supermarket, but that's minimum wage ($6.55 per hour -- going up to $7.25 in July.) Full time labor jobs seem to pay more. What's freezing works?

Good luck with your Green Card Lottery!
Thanks for the info,

A freezing works is a place which slaughters lamb, processes them and send them around the world, fortunantly I am nowhere near the slaughter board.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 PM

7,305 posts, read 12,908,719 times
You'll probably want to stay where you are. Unless you speak spanish your chances of landing a laborers job in Oklahoma are slim and none.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM

I don't find that to be true. Hobby Lobby hired my son who only speaks English as a groundskeeper last summer.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,332,159 times
Hiya Matty!! Coming to chase tornadoes in person??

Will you be studying Meteorology here?

There are PLENTY of Laboring type jobs in OK and no you do NOT have to speak Spanish to get one. Our Son (24) was just hired a few months ago at a Retail Store Distribution warehouse...no experience needed. (Loading boxes) and his starting wage was $13.00 an hour.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 AM

7,525 posts, read 15,510,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You'll probably want to stay where you are. Unless you speak spanish your chances of landing a laborers job in Oklahoma are slim and none.
totally not true.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:39 PM

714 posts, read 747,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Hiya Matty!! Coming to chase tornadoes in person??

Will you be studying Meteorology here?

There are PLENTY of Laboring type jobs in OK and no you do NOT have to speak Spanish to get one. Our Son (24) was just hired a few months ago at a Retail Store Distribution warehouse...no experience needed. (Loading boxes) and his starting wage was $13.00 an hour.
You folks in OK. are very fortunate to be able to find these types of jobs at this good of pay.
Somes states you can't find laboring work anymore.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
You folks in OK. are very fortunate to be able to find these types of jobs at this good of pay.
Somes states you can't find laboring work anymore.
Our economy is pretty strong, given the rest of the country. We just don't want to spread the word.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM

11,878 posts, read 34,524,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
NOT true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City