Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 14,108 times

Advertisements

Long story short, my boyfriend and I moved to Columbus GA in June due to an Army transfer. Well, the Army made a mistake sending us here and we are now being transferred to OKC. When we came here it was very stressful because it was a long move ( from SLC Ut ) and I would really like to take this time to gather as much information as possible to relieve some of that.
He will be making a trip there for a few days to drive around and look at neighborhoods in January but I would like some locals to give me a direction to start!
About us:

Late 30's, no kids at home, we don't go to bars so nightlife is not important at all, we do enjoy quaint little towns that offer good food and a big beer selection, would love to find a place with a pool, 2 dogs so yard is important, we are outdoorsy and enjoy camping. He will work in OKC and we prefer a 30 min or less commute. Budget $1400 or less.

Thank you for any input you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
OKC has quite a few suburbs... I am partial to the Edmond/Deer Creek area (north of OKC). Most of the houses in the Deer Creek area (west of Edmond, and NW of OKC... not really a town on it's own but an old township with a good school district, though that is of little use to you) are on larger lots, at least the new construction in the area are.

There are also small towns "nearby" such as Piedmont, Guthrie, Arcadia, etc.. I don't know about a big beer selection, but most have a good restaurant or two.

We have a number of lakes in the state and around OKC, most with a trail system of some sort (paved or dirt... or both) and boating, camping, fishing.. etc. Also have parks that offer trails for running, walking, or mountain biking.

If you have a Jeep...or get a Jeep, let me know I can hook up there as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:51 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
OKC may not have the population of some of the really big cities; nonetheless, it covers a lot of space, so where you live makes a huge difference in being handy to get to where that is. When I lived there, I lived in OKC Northwest, so that's the area I like, but if the work is not near that area somewhere else may be preferable. Midwest City is by Tinker AFB, so lots of airplane noise. My daughter lived in Bethany for years and liked it a lot. It's the same as being in the city. There are areas in the southwest quadrant that are all right, but they are farther south than say SW 29th.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate the help!! No jeep yet, but it is on my list of must haves!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
It would be important to know where the job is in order to structure a less than 30 minute commute. And I hope Rubi meant SW 89th and not SW 29th. You don't want any part of that area around SW 29th.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It would be important to know where the job is in order to structure a less than 30 minute commute. And I hope Rubi meant SW 89th and not SW 29th. You don't want any part of that area around SW 29th.
When I said farther south than SW 29th, I meant MUCH farther south. Don't know how much farther.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:16 AM

241 posts, read 431,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzarch View Post
Long story short, my boyfriend and I moved to Columbus GA in June due to an Army transfer. Well, the Army made a mistake sending us here and we are now being transferred to OKC. When we came here it was very stressful because it was a long move ( from SLC Ut ) and I would really like to take this time to gather as much information as possible to relieve some of that.
He will be making a trip there for a few days to drive around and look at neighborhoods in January but I would like some locals to give me a direction to start!
About us:

Late 30's, no kids at home, we don't go to bars so nightlife is not important at all, we do enjoy quaint little towns that offer good food and a big beer selection, would love to find a place with a pool, 2 dogs so yard is important, we are outdoorsy and enjoy camping. He will work in OKC and we prefer a 30 min or less commute. Budget $1400 or less.

Thank you for any input you can provide!
If a small town is what you're looking for, I'd reccomend checking out Guthrie. I believe Guthrie will become a great city one, but right now it is kind of filled with white trash. The downtown is beautiful. I live in Edmond and go there all the time just to walk around the downtown area.

Arcadia, Jones, Piedmont, New Castle, and Shawnee are other options. $1,400 should get you some fairly nice housing options as long as you be smart and make sure you've looked around for a bit.

Traffic in OKC is pretty much no issue at all. While this city is growing very fast, I don't think we'll be worrying about major traffic issues for another 10+ years here. There are a few places that get backed up, but for the most part, rush hour only lasts for about 30 minutes here.

Mustang is another cool option, but that area will soon likely be filled with neighborhoods and suburban strip malls, so it's small town feel won't be there for long. Same thing with Yukon.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
If a small town is what you're looking for, I'd reccomend checking out Guthrie. I believe Guthrie will become a great city one, but right now it is kind of filled with white trash. The downtown is beautiful. I live in Edmond and go there all the time just to walk around the downtown area.

Arcadia, Jones, Piedmont, New Castle, and Shawnee are other options. $1,400 should get you some fairly nice housing options as long as you be smart and make sure you've looked around for a bit.

Traffic in OKC is pretty much no issue at all. While this city is growing very fast, I don't think we'll be worrying about major traffic issues for another 10+ years here. There are a few places that get backed up, but for the most part, rush hour only lasts for about 30 minutes here.

Mustang is another cool option, but that area will soon likely be filled with neighborhoods and suburban strip malls, so it's small town feel won't be there for long. Same thing with Yukon.
Guthrie is filled with white trash? I don't know anyone who lives there, but I don't believe it is filled with white trash. How do you come to such a conclusion?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 AM

78 posts, read 121,105 times
Guthrie is a nice little town. I have a couple of favorite restaurants there that I visit when I am able to. I've never really painted the town in my mind as white trash but I'm sure you have your reasons. Housing in Guthrie is dirt cheap for the turn of the century gems that they have. If you don't mind the commute it could be a really nice option.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Guthrie sounds like a great place to check out, thank you so much! I can't wait to get to OKC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City