Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,935 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted an offer for a position at Tinker AFB. Where is a good area to live, that is fairly close to the base? I have two young children and safety and education is a priority for me. I'm looking for a good apartment temporarily, and then probably a house sometime early next year. I'm also curious as to what elementary schools to consider for the best education. Any information would greatly be appreciated, since I'm not real familiar with OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
I'm not too familiar with that area of town. But I've heard many great things about Choctaw and that many people commute to Tinker from there. Surely someone who knows more about the east side of OKC will come along with more info for you. Welcome to the area!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 AM

498 posts, read 1,606,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fett View Post
I have just accepted an offer for a position at Tinker AFB. Where is a good area to live, that is fairly close to the base? I have two young children and safety and education is a priority for me. I'm looking for a good apartment temporarily, and then probably a house sometime early next year. I'm also curious as to what elementary schools to consider for the best education. Any information would greatly be appreciated, since I'm not real familiar with OKC.
A lot of Tinker commuters actually live in the suburbs of Edmond and Moore, both with good school districts. Moore is closer to the base than Edmond.

The Mid-Del districts are average. I wouldn't recommend Del City as a place to live, and Midwest City leaves me with mixed feelings anytime I am in that area. Some parts of MWC are nice, and some are not.

NW OKC, Norman, Deer Creek, Piedmont and Mustang are all growing areas, but all are also more distant from the base.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM

25 posts, read 113,090 times
I wouldnt recommend del city, midwest city, or any part of okc near the base...you are probably going to have to commute a bit to find a nice safe area with good schools.

I definately think Edmond is a great choice...its about 17 miles away...maybe 35 or 45 min or so in morning traffic..kind of far but it really has great schools (i think edmond and deer creek are the best) safest place I know of around here..there are plenty of rent choices available as well and real estate is afordable, but still a great investment.
good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City