Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 AM

13 posts, read 35,067 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am at the moment on a project in OKC and have been for the last 6 months. I met someone and I am considering moving here... she has two kids and they are going to some High School in Nicoma Park so I think I probably need to look there. Do you have to live in Nicoma in order for your kids to go to that high school? We both work in the downtown OKC area.

I am probably the Edmond, OK or Norman, OK type. Can you please tell me how Nicoma compares to these two areas, any subdivisions or neighborhoods I should look into? What do you think of the future prospect of Nicoma Park... I noticed there is no highway going there so I am wondering how traffic might be now, or will be during rush hour. Any info would be appreciated.

- K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Well, I am still hoping I get some information from my post... please tell me what is on your mind. Does Nicoma Park suck?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,416 times
maybe nobody really has ever been there. i know i havent, or dont ever remember going there. sorry that i cant help.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:09 PM

21 posts, read 105,429 times
I don't post much on the site, but really enjoy it. First off there is not a high school in Nicoma Park. It is a part of the Choctaw-Nicoma Park school district. Nicoma Park has elementary and junior high(middle school) with students then going 4 or 5 miles(I think) east to Choctaw HS located on Northeast 10th.

US62(NE 23rd) is the highway that goes east-west through Nicoma Park. I grew up and still live in the area. As many areas surrounding Oklahoma City have, the Eastern part of Oklahoma County has experienced quite a bit of what I would consider urban sprawl. You are correct in that an Interstate such as I-40 or I-35 do not run through Nicoma Park but as I mentioned US62 does and runs into OKC.

Nicoma Park is a nice little area but does not have much in the way of shopping, restaurants, entertainment, when compared to Edmond and Norman area. I worked in downtown OKC until around 1995 and in speaking with coworkers who drove in from Norman and Edmond the drive was much easier coming from East area such as Nicoma Park. MUCH I am sure has changed since that time but might be a comparison.

Hopefully that has given you a bit of information you did not have before..

As many I am sure can comment, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 15,762 times
At least when I moved here 13+ years ago, the east side of OKC was not considered 'fashionable' - but as the more desirable areas have more fully developed the east side is growing, including some rather up-scale subdivisions. Nicoma Park as such hasn't benefited from this change, but there are a number of other small 'cities' within a few minutes drive which have. I'd certainly look at them remembering that real estate taxes vary WIDELY among these entities.

Access generally is excellent, even without 'major' highways. I live on the eastern edge of Choctaw (maybe 10 minutes farther east of Nicoma Park), and worked on the NW side of OKC for 11 years before finding myself unemployed/retired. Unless the weather was impossible (as in the infrequent blizzard or ice storm) it was a reasonable commute - 45 minutes average for a 30 mile drive, and I did most of it on back roads out of choice. So a lot of your concern would include your employment - downtown OKC can be a moderate nightmare during rush hour, but only relative to itself and not to other major metropolitan areas. So far there is minimal public transportation, so unless you find employment that offers its own parking facilities, that might be an adjustment for you.

I'll readily admit that adjusting to life in Oklahoma has been a challenge for me, but most of what material items might be lacking you can obtain online, and the relative cost of living is quite favorable.

Just don't go looking for corn as high as an elephant's eye.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 PM

I would have to echo Yankee's comments and coming from a "non-native" perspective as he does, might give you a better idea than a born and raised Okie such as me. He is spot on with the wide fluctuation in property taxes. Nicoma Park is as I said a nice little area but if you are looking for new subdivisions,etc, NP does not have it. On east in Choctaw as he said there are MANY new areas going up. I just have to say that having grown up in the area of eastern Oklahoma county(Choctaw/Nicoma Park)when it was wide open spaces, farms and ranches and many dirt roads, there is WAY too much development going on for my tastes, but I am a country guy at heart.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 15,762 times
Hey, just because I was born in Philadelphia and lived in NYC doesn't make me a city GIRL! I love my place here, since it sidles up to a private wetlands trust so no development there! I have loads of wildlife (including wild turkeys that come right up on my back lawn) and a few too many coyotes - but now I have NEIGHBORS in what had been a quarter section of tall-grass habitat. It's driving me nuts to have a bunch of citidiots within ear-shot, but I can't afford to move farther out.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeinchoctaw View Post
Hey, just because I was born in Philadelphia and lived in NYC doesn't make me a city GIRL! I love my place here, since it sidles up to a private wetlands trust so no development there! I have loads of wildlife (including wild turkeys that come right up on my back lawn) and a few too many coyotes - but now I have NEIGHBORS in what had been a quarter section of tall-grass habitat. It's driving me nuts to have a bunch of citidiots within ear-shot, but I can't afford to move farther out.

I am glad you like it. I am old enough to remember when most of the North/South section roads past Choctaw were still gravel/dirt roads.(Indian Meridian/Peebly/TripleXXX,etc) That was as recently as late 's60s/early '70s. I have my little slice of 5 acres but now have 4 subdivsions with about 500-800 houses within 1/2 mile. We have enough surrounding small acreages that there are quite a few deer,bobcats, owls and other wildllife to make it interesting.. Way too many people for me though.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Thank you very much Yankee and Harley ... great information!! Hard to make a decision on where to start looking. Any other towns or neighborhoods that you can recommend somewhere between OKC and Nicoma Park, or at least close enough that a drive from there to the HS, and then to downtown OKC is not going to kill us? I am trying to see how I can manage having to drive them to the HS you mentioned above and at the same time live in an Edmond type of community which everybody here in OKC seems to talk about very favorably. Even if I don't hear from you two thanks again

Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM

I am probably not a real good resource on the "Edmond type" community but there are a number of new housing additions in the Nicoma Park "area". None in Nicoma Park proper(that I am aware). Just that I know of and I am not sure of the names are located at the intersection of Reno and Westminster.(Stonecreek?) Windmill Farms(?) on Westminster between Reno and NE10th. These are in Midwest City limits but within the Choctaw/Nicoma Park school district. Both two or three miles from Choctaw HS. In addition there are a number of new housing additions on further east in Choctaw city limits and school district that you might be interested in.
I am somewhat biased in the "Edmond type" community has no appeal whatsover to me as I could never imagine myself living in a community with houses that close together. I was raised on 20acres surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods/pastures and presently live on 5acres which is way too small for me. Nothing wrong with Edmond or suburbia, just not my cup of tea.

As I mentioned earlier, Nicoma Park itself is a nice community. Most are established older homes, with a few newer homes mixed in..

If it was me, I would probably just make a drive out that way at what would be considered rush hour and kind of guage traffic,etc. from downtown. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City