U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,060 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have got a job in Norman and I will be moving there shortly. I will be moving there from Northern Virginia.

My most important thing in selecting a house is the school district. My elder kid is starting elementary this year. I saw Clevland elementary or Mckinley elementary have good ratings. Do you think they concentrate more on academics? I would like to choose a school that has

1. academics with Math & Science concentration
2. extra curricular activities with parents involvement
3. sports
4. language skills

It would be great if you could provide any assistance in these things as well as any apartments that are in these school boundaries.

I am also looking at other towns like Edmond and other places that have good schools. I am fine with 30-35 miles or 30-45 mins one way driving to Norman.

Please let me know and I really appreciate your help.

Last edited by anbuvijay; 07-15-2009 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 PM

144 posts, read 343,251 times
If you are going to work in Norman. I would not look at Edmond! That commute is longer than 45 minutes. Norman has great schools and a University with tons of activities for the family. I don't know about the grade schools, but you will be happier living and working close to your kids elementary schools than driving across town. If there is a problem with your kids it will be good that you are 5 minutes away instead of 45 minutes away.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,061 times
I agree with lasomeday--Norman is a great place to live! I came to college and just stayed. And that was 30+ some years ago. In this part of the country it's not necessary to endure the commute. You'll easily find a home here in town. Moore is as far away as you should even consider.

As for schools, I don't have children but know many who do and have heard that the schools in Norman are excellent and award-winning. The high schools are ranked high nationally. I think you'll love it here. Welcome to OK!!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM

259 posts, read 675,222 times
Norman is a great town- that's great that you have a job there vs the downtown. The commute along I-35 is horrible! Especially since it is always under construction. Moore and Norman are your best bet.
If you like the country, Newcastle is a good option. There's a bunch of new communities down there now.
If you're into historic homes and want a small-town feel, houses in downtown Norman, around OU are really nice. However, the traffic there gets horrible during football season.

I can recommend a builder if you're looking for a new subdivision. We built with Ideal Homes in West Okc and they have a lot of neighborhoods in Norman and Moore, starting from the $120's up to the $200's. They pride themselves on being very energy efficient (if being green is important to you).

Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,060 times
Thanks for the replies. I will mostly live in Norman. I heard good things about that place too.

Thanks again for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City