Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to OKC for a new job and are having a hard time making a decision on a place to live. One is a new loft in the city, the other is a brand new house in Edmond. Both are approximately the same square footage, both are rentals. The house is about 300 sq ft bigger, the loft is about $600 more a month, but almost everything is included. The loft is in the midtown area, and like I said the house is in Edmond. Which is a better area to live? We don't have kids, so that isn't an issue. Are the burbs boring? Is the city dangerous? What's the better option in your educated and experienced opinions? I posted on this forum before, and many of your comments convinced us that moving to OKC was for us. But since this is 2 very different lifestyle choices...and we have experience and have been happy doing both...would like some help and input with this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,933 times
I grew up in OKC. I live out of state now. But go home 3 times a year. Crime rate is higher on some sides of towns than others. Edmond is a good suburb with good schools and shopping. However, Edmond has the highest rate of burgluries, but still a safe suburb. Downtown by the Bricktown area is developing a lot and is much more safer to Live now than 20-15 years ago. Living in Edmond would be a longer drive into the city. If you like being close to downtown or the happening areas, The loft would be the way to go.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:42 PM

559 posts, read 1,753,027 times
imo, edmond is a great place. a big town of about 78,000, with good schools. i liked living there when i did, and some day hope to find my way back. i dont have kids and right now if i had the money i would move to the loft. go for the loft!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,520,845 times
I live in the Edmond burbs and I love it. We don't have kids, but we do have pets and like having a backyard. We like the easy going pace and are not night owls.

If you both will be working in the downtown area, you may prefer being living so close to your job. You would save serious time and stress as the Broadway extension can be a headache in the mornings. Although it should be noted that our traffic headaches are laughed off by people who live in major cities (lol). Plus you would be living right there next to all the nightlife and most of OKC entertainment options.

IMO, it truly comes down to lifestyle preferences and that would determine where you should live. I think both are great options, just depends on the person.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 PM

334 posts, read 912,544 times
Well, I know I would prefer to live downtown in the loft. OKC proper is pretty safe, is more pedestrian friendly (which in OK means it has sidewalks), and has some interesting neighborhoods and businesses.

If I was going to buy a place, maybe I'd consider Edmond, but for a child-free renting couple, I'd go with downtown. I especially like Automobile Alley (North of Bricktown), as well as the Asian District (which has Cao Nguyen market, the best supermarket in the entire metro area IMO).

But I'm thinking and talking about me. What is your life like? What do you like to do? What do you want from your neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City