Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 16,787 times

Advertisements

I need some help on what to do with this neighbor I've got. A couple months ago, my neighbor's pit bull bit my dad, and we went to court and won. She can't have the dog back. But she has other pits just as aggressive.
The neighbor put up a wooden fence on their side of the chain-link fence, and it's a piece of . Even the judge for the dog bite case said it was a joke!! It's leaning on our chain fence-potentially damaging it, there's no studs to hold the fence up. It's being propped up by some shovels and 2x4s. When it storms, the fence falls down. And now after a few storms, the individual slats are falling apart. I mean the fence is really a JOKE!!

The only point of having this 8 ft tall fence is to keep their 4-6 aggressive pit bulls in their own back yard. And yes, Animal Control is well aware of these people and their dogs, but has no control over the fence issue; only the dogs, their well-being, and if their enclosed.

It's getting to the point where we can't go into our own back yard without the fear of these dogs coming over through the now, large gaps in the fence, and biting us or our animals. What can I do about this, (contact, options, etc).

Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times
Use a trusty old BB gun and shoot 'em when they come into your yard! Nasty beasts.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,486 times
Check this page for the ordinances if you live within city limits.

It says that the fence HAS to be substantial enough to hold the dogs.

Oklahoma - Oklahoma City & Sallisaw Animal Control Ordinances (http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusokodoklahomacity_sallisaw.htm#sart2div3 - broken link)

In most towns, it's just a matter of calling Animal Control as many times as it takes until they DO something. Take pics when the fence falls down and call EVERY time those dogs are out.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 16,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Use a trusty old BB gun and shoot 'em when they come into your yard! Nasty beasts.
A BB gun?!? on a pit bull. Ummm..... I've read stories about how the police had to shoot some pits several time before the dog stopped. I don't think a BB would do anything except tick it off. But we have one anyway.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambeauty2001 View Post
A BB gun?!? on a pit bull. Ummm..... I've read stories about how the police had to shoot some pits several time before the dog stopped. I don't think a BB would do anything except tick it off. But we have one anyway.
Ya- Those pits are pretty aggressive! Yikes!

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-06-2009 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Copyright image/Inappropriate.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Check this page for the ordinances if you live within city limits.

It says that the fence HAS to be substantial enough to hold the dogs.

Oklahoma - Oklahoma City & Sallisaw Animal Control Ordinances (http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusokodoklahomacity_sallisaw.htm#sart2div3 - broken link)

In most towns, it's just a matter of calling Animal Control as many times as it takes until they DO something. Take pics when the fence falls down and call EVERY time those dogs are out.
I totally agree with the civil approach.

We don't need this thread feeding into un-necessary sensationalism either. I know of many great American Pit Bulls...just like any breed there are poor owners who are nothing more than a misjustice to their dogs and the people around them.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I totally agree with the civil approach.

We don't need this thread feeding into un-necessary sensationalism either. I know of many great American Pit Bulls...just like any breed there are poor owners who are nothing more than a misjustice to their dogs and the people around them.
I agree with you to some extent.

However, I think there is enough history of Pit Bulls attacks (in some cases even killing people, especially small children...which is downright unacceptable) to warrant extreme action. Pit Bulls are extraordinarily dangerous and should be watched VERY carefully IMO.

There was a Pit Bull that got out in my neighborhood the other day and it absolutely terrified me to think what could have happened if my small children were in the front yard at the time the Pit Bull was loose.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 PM

459 posts, read 804,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambeauty2001 View Post
I need some help on what to do with this neighbor I've got. A couple months ago, my neighbor's pit bull bit my dad, and we went to court and won. She can't have the dog back. But she has other pits just as aggressive.
The neighbor put up a wooden fence on their side of the chain-link fence, and it's a piece of . Even the judge for the dog bite case said it was a joke!! It's leaning on our chain fence-potentially damaging it, there's no studs to hold the fence up. It's being propped up by some shovels and 2x4s. When it storms, the fence falls down. And now after a few storms, the individual slats are falling apart. I mean the fence is really a JOKE!!

The only point of having this 8 ft tall fence is to keep their 4-6 aggressive pit bulls in their own back yard. And yes, Animal Control is well aware of these people and their dogs, but has no control over the fence issue; only the dogs, their well-being, and if their enclosed.

It's getting to the point where we can't go into our own back yard without the fear of these dogs coming over through the now, large gaps in the fence, and biting us or our animals. What can I do about this, (contact, options, etc).

THis lady should be put in jail for being worthless to society!! Her pit bulls should be taken away from here. You should keep complaining to animal control to where they might take the animals away. It's losers like this neighbor that give pit bulls an unfair reputation. You should do something though, because someone could end up dead or seriously injured. I hate to say this because I love all animals and especially pit bulls, but those dogs need to be euthanized, for the safety of everyone around you.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 PM

30 posts, read 74,652 times
MOST people say that it has nothing to do with the dog but the owner, BLAH, BLAH , BLAH. Now do not get me wrong I LOVE animals LOVE dogs but to me the breed is like a tiger (which I love ) One day it will get mad and possible hurt someone that is what the BREED is made to do just like a Dachsund is made to be long, A yorkie is made to be small. YES all animals have different personalities. My neighbors have one, it is cute and playful but I will not go near it without them near. I just feel that no matter what the breed if it is an aggressive breed it needs to be with people that understand the breed and know how to take care of it. Same with any animal if you don't understand it don't get it!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
I would do all that everyone says except for the BB gun, that would only aggitate the pits. Have you considered putting up a fence or are you renting? If you don't own your home I would consider moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City