U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:57 PM

138 posts, read 169,742 times
I have lived here all of my life - except for 2 years in a Southern state- and crime is really only a problem in the larger cities. I would HIGHLY recommend Edmond, OK. It is a suburb of about 80,000 people. It is large for a suburb, but the crime rate is very low. [Mod Cut] Please do not link to competing websites.
I think you would like Edmond. It is close to OKC so if you work there it is easy to get to, but it is largely residential with great schools. Check the Great Schools website too. There are many smaller communities around OKC that do not have good schools...but Edmond does.
I will warn you that people in OK are not always friendly. Do not be surprised if your next door neighbor does not make eye contact with you or say hello. That is just how it is. Being a native to OK, and after leaving for a couple of years and returning, I learned finally noticed this. Many people only want to be your friend if they have known you for years or if you go to church with them.
Also, make sure you have great car insurance because OK is known for 2 things: bad drivers and a high percentage of uninsured motorists. Not trying to be negative, but these are things I would like to know before moving somewhere totally foreign to me! One last thing, avoid any Wal-Mart you see. There is maybe one in Edmond that is decent enough to buy food items. Target is about the only place you can find a clean store with helpful employees. We often opt to go to the Farmer's Market in Edmond on Saturday mornings - pretty nice people, some organic, and all local produce.
I really do hope this helps. I will not lie to you....I am not happy to be back in OK after living in another nice state. I miss the pretty scenery, the southern hospitality, the charm, and cultural experience. If you want history here - it is all about Native Americans, and being the capital of the state there are a lot of minorities (no racism-just fact) - this includes the hispanic population. Good luck with your move, just be smart and arm yourself with as much info as you can about OKC.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 09-14-2009 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Removed website...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM

40 posts, read 70,696 times
Yeah, but traffic in Edmond can become a real pain. Edmond easily becomes an aggravating city to drive around since all the roads are too small to handle the amount of traffic. If your looking for a suburb I would say check out Norman. Norman is nice and the only thing you have to get use to in Norman is that on game day many of the streets throughout Norman are closed or crazy backed up.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM

8,478 posts, read 6,076,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2My3 View Post
I will warn you that people in OK are not always friendly. Do not be surprised if your next door neighbor does not make eye contact with you or say hello. That is just how it is. Being a native to OK, and after leaving for a couple of years and returning, I learned finally noticed this. Many people only want to be your friend if they have known you for years or if you go to church with them.
Also, make sure you have great car insurance because OK is known for 2 things: bad drivers and a high percentage of uninsured motorists. Not trying to be negative, but these are things I would like to know before moving somewhere totally foreign to me! One last thing, avoid any Wal-Mart you see. There is maybe one in Edmond that is decent enough to buy food items. Target is about the only place you can find a clean store with helpful employees. We often opt to go to the Farmer's Market in Edmond on Saturday mornings - pretty nice people, some organic, and all local produce.

I really do hope this helps. I will not lie to you....I am not happy to be back in OK after living in another nice state. I miss the pretty scenery, the southern hospitality, the charm, and cultural experience. If you want history here - it is all about Native Americans, and being the capital of the state there are a lot of minorities (no racism-just fact) - this includes the hispanic population. Good luck with your move, just be smart and arm yourself with as much info as you can about OKC.
The reason why some Oklahomans don't want to talk to new people is because they have been bullied or mistreated in their pasts since childhood, especially over personal appearance. And so they tend to expect strangers to be no kinder and no less judgmental to them than the bullies they encountered from childhood. Believe me, children do get lasting mental scars they carry even throughout adulthood.

What's so bad about Wal-Mart? I usually don't find the grocery area dirty, and the prices tend to be lower than elsewhere. It's the only thing we have like it in Stillwater and there's two of them. I'm glad you didn't speak ill of Target. Stillwater is supposed to get one next year, assuming construction gets started.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 PM

8,478 posts, read 6,076,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveitinVa View Post
Wow, I haven't been on this forum for a while and came back to find so many great replies. Thanks for the advice about the shelters Jammie. StillwaterTownie your reply about only being "inconvenienced" twice is reassuring, although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "inconvenienced"
By inconvenienced, I mean having to deal with the electricity being knocked out over night. And so getting dressed for work in candle light. And dealing with minor storm damage in the yard, but being thankful it wasn't worse.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,200,534 times
Mom2, that's when you do like I do~just start talking to them and introduce yourself and walk along beside them until they HAVE to pay attention to you.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM

StillwaterTownie - I am actually a Stillwater native. I understand what you are saying. I had a wonderful childhood overall in Stillwater, but there are so many people I went through school with that I do not care to associate with now. I am glad I had the opportunity to move away for a while. If you have the chance to leave OK and move back - you see how unfriendly the people are. Someone suggested just "making your neighbors talk to you" but that is easier said than done. I have tried! Everyone wants to keep to themselves unless you are at church (then they will shake your hand and ask you to volunteer for everything), sometimes at school (because they want you to volunteer to work at the school) or if there is a party of some sort - involving sports and beer! It is hard just to make regular friends - where there is not a hidden agenda. For some reason people here are quick to judge others...and it is usually all about money or group affiliation. Sad.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Just to be clear - because someone will say something - I do have friends here in Oklahoma. I moved to a Southern state for 2 years and I made many good friends in a short period of time. These are people I still keep in touch with and they beg us to move back!! We got that kind of love from ONE set of friends when we left OK. Some of our other "friends" and neighbors we had in OK forgot us the minute the moving van pulled out of the drive. That is not friendship! You don't see what is right in front of you until it is not there. The ONLY thing I missed about OK (when I left) was Stillwater in the Fall - the smell of cookouts, football games, Eskimo Joe's and homecoming. Most of that is related to the university. Otherwise, I did not miss a thing - I was busy soaking up culture and making friends - which is sadly not present in OK.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,200,534 times
Mom2, which state had you relocated to? Did you come back to OK to be near family or was it job related? It doesn't sound like you wanted to move back. Is that correct?

I dunno. I like to chat with people, but as far as having close friends that I want to hang out with every day~not so much. I know people who love to go out and have coffee a couple times a day with the exact same people. That just doesn't sound like fun to me so maybe I'm the one who's different.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 13,806 times
Thanks Mom2My3 for suggesting looking into Edmond and to ESMOU for suggesting Norman. We will look into these when we are ready to start touring places of interest. My husband and I plan to start visiting the places we're interested in in 2010. It is a little disappointing to hear that some people on this forum have not experienced friendly people in OKC. That's one thing I love about the southeast. I love that southern hospitality. That is something we will be looking for. I know that everyone's experiences are different. I hope ours will be.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM

3,986 posts, read 3,505,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveitinVa View Post
Thanks Mom2My3 for suggesting looking into Edmond and to ESMOU for suggesting Norman. We will look into these when we are ready to start touring places of interest. My husband and I plan to start visiting the places we're interested in in 2010. It is a little disappointing to hear that some people on this forum have not experienced friendly people in OKC. That's one thing I love about the southeast. I love that southern hospitality. That is something we will be looking for. I know that everyone's experiences are different. I hope ours will be.
Oh, I wouldn't let that scare you off.

I totally disagree with others on this forum that have said that Oklahoma does not have good hospitality. I don't know which Southern state you are coming from, but I have been to every state in the Deep South (with the exception of Alabama)....Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana....and have found Okie hospitality to be very comprable to these areas.

If you have been to cities like Little Rock, Fort Worth, Nashville....OK City is not going to be a whole lot different. (Of course there ARE differences...but, from my personal experience, OK City has more in common with these cities than differences.)

I think some individuals tend to lable areas based solely on negative areas and become fixated on their negative experience. Unfortunately, I did this very thing when I lived on the East and West coasts. Everyday I thought to myself..."Man, these folks are not like me"...."they have no manners or hospitality." What I learned is that it was actually just pride within my own heart. As I look back on living in different areas outside of my home in the South-Central (Oklahoma and Texas) I realize that there were some very good/sweet people that I had encountered, although at the time all I did is focus on my perceived negative experience (s).

Well, enough ramblin' for now. Hope this helps and blessings as you consider moving to OK City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City