Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 15,121 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving from south-centeral Tennessee to Norman area. I am orginally from Oklahoma (some 47 years ago!). I would like to know about things to do, etc for a retired couple on limited and fixed income. How are the churches and senior citizen events and activities? Are there retired person's organizations for developing friendships, etc? It would be a big change after living in Florida for 39 years and Tennessee for 8 years but where we are currently living is a small town with not much going on and the people where are somewhat "tight" with older friends and not real open to new people. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhills View Post
Thinking about moving from south-centeral Tennessee to Norman area. I am orginally from Oklahoma (some 47 years ago!). I would like to know about things to do, etc for a retired couple on limited and fixed income. How are the churches and senior citizen events and activities? Are there retired person's organizations for developing friendships, etc? It would be a big change after living in Florida for 39 years and Tennessee for 8 years but where we are currently living is a small town with not much going on and the people where are somewhat "tight" with older friends and not real open to new people. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
James
The churches are excellent in the Norman area. All denominations are represented quite well with Southern Baptists being the overwhelming majority in the area as with most Bible-Belt states.

Welcome back home, Okie!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the reply and encouragement . Still not sure what to do , big step and a lot of work to get rid of most of what we have here and make the "jump", but am keeping a open mind. I do have nephew who lives in Norman and goes to Bethel Baptist Church. My sister , now deceased, also when there. Also a brother in Purcell but do not want another small town to live in.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:55 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Norman is of course a university town. That means there are a lot of cultural and athletic events to see. They won't all be free, of course, but most have a senior citizen discount, and except for Basketball and Football, most are pretty cheap to begin with. It's a lot more than just sports. There are lots of free lectures, events and workshops that it should keep your calender pretty full.

It also means there are a lot of college kids running around, drinking beer and doing what college kids do. But if you live west of the interstate, you can avoid most of that, and only run over to the east side to see the wonder musicals and events they host.

Norman is a great city. I think it has something for everyone, and if you take advantage of all the opportunities the university provides, I think you will be very happy there.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:27 PM

13 posts, read 30,366 times
Default Oklahoma Has What Everyone Wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhills View Post
James
If you decide Norman is to busy, you may consider looking just a bit nothwest of Purcell and West of Norman to the fast growing areas of Blanchard and Newcasle. These towns have in the past few years grown up fast,not only in beautiful new homes, let me say very big and beautiful custom new homes , but also to charming older and often remodeled affordable homes. While these are very much the friday night lights football communities, you are only a quick 30 min. drive to Oklahoma City or Norman an hour and half to Tulsa. The churches in the area are very nice and fire and police, very up to date. There is really as much to do in this area as you want and are willing to be a part of, while at the same time as quite as you would like to be. For people who are looking for their place in a community, of any age, these towns have a great advantage, they have many community groups that will allow you to get involved help your town and fellow man and serve a purpose in life to as little or as much s you like. This can be very important to young students starting out who need community involvement (4-H, FFA, or helping with meals on Wheels or local chamber or garden clubs etc.) to achieve required scholarship and or resume accomplishments. For the just married all the way to retired, being a mentor in these groups can help you find life long friendships and networks. For those of you reading with children, a bonus to this area is the schools, you will be hard pressed to find much better. Of course as I always suggest in any state, take advantage of the area College students, and use an extra two days a week for tutoring in those subjects you feel are not your strongest. This will do you well in any area and move your students ahead for the ACT testing and help local students with $20 to $25 extra a week (depends on area and how far of a drive you are to everyone).These towns are perfect for ensuring your students can also find local lessons from mentors that teach things such as piano, guitar for the price of about $35-40 a month . Same for Spanish and French, check with local music stores,newspaper and craigs list as well as asking Chamber office and City Hall.While these towns will put you only 30 to 40 min. form the Will Rodgers Airport. You may also consider taking the train from Norman to Dallas Love Field, to fly anywhere in the world you would like to travel. If it is a cruise you seek a straight drive south to Galveston about eight hours and you can cruise the World. If you like to golf we have great courses for golf almost year round and " Oklahoma has more man-made lakes (200) than any other state, with over one million surface-acres of water and 2,000 more miles of shoreline than the Atlantic and Gulf coasts combined!"Oklahoma Fishing Guide. So for the person about to retire you will always have someplace and something to do. Oklahoma truly has many advantages for every age , from jobs to great buys on property we have a lot to offer not only the individual but the group looking to locate a business. We have a great workforce and plenty to offer as perks and lots of land to locate to. We have a great quality of life here no matter what it is you enjoy and choose to do. We are growing as will your investment if you find a town here that makes you happy. Wish you well. Tonni/Spencer OK

Last edited by Silvermoon; 11-15-2009 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Tonni, thanks for the information and detail you provided. Gives us more to think about and consider. You mentioned areas west of Norman, what about the area south of Norman, from the south part of Norman on down to Noble. I would assume that by now it is one continous "city" with no open spaces between. We are in a small town now and want to get away from that - has not worked out too well - not much to do or see unless you travel north to Nashville and the towns between. But also do not want to get to close to the college area for the reasons you mentioned in your note. Again, thanks for the information and time to reply.
James

Old 11-21-2009, 04:41 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,719 times
Personally I happen to like Norman, not too busy or noisy to me and the people there appear to nice and open to just about anyone. As for Blanchard and Newcastle (which were mentioned above) everything Tonni said about them i'd have to completely agree. With Blanchard you have the choice of living within the actual town or finding a nice country home on the county roads (there are plenty of them, and they are VERY nice), but you are still within 30 minutes of OKC or 15-20 minutes from Chickasha to the south (a small city with all the needed amenities that Blanchard may not be able to offer). Either way I hope you find a suitable place to settle into.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 AM

36 posts, read 126,031 times
I agree with mostly everything said here. I lived in Norman for seven years, but I was a beer-drinking college kid/grad student, haha. Living on the "westside" of Norman is your best bet. There are nice houses and neighborhoods that are a way to get away from the college crowd.

I think Norman has more to offer than OKC, socially. There is more to do, and the residents support the small business owners, which is my favorite thing about Norman (besides OU).

Also, I believe you mentioned you had family in Purcell, and Norman isn't that far away from there.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM

144 posts, read 484,511 times
Heygirlhey! LOL! I love that screen name.

Yeah, Norman is OK, but I think areas of OKC are just as good for neighborhood interaction. The areas from Midtown to 50th street to the north are emerging as true neighborhoods with local bars and restaurants popping up every month.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Columbia, Tn

Thanks much to all of you that have replied to my inquires. We still have have made up our minds about moving to Norman and now the GM plant here has closed down and with several thousand people out of work (both GM employees and all the other business that fed off those people) the real estate market if pretty poor for selling. Am keeping our options open and hope to get back to the "plains" one of these days.
Again, thanks for all the replies.
Tnhills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City