Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,382 times

Advertisements

I want to thank all of the people who made me feel good about moving to Oklahoma City. I am a single women, and my job is moving a few of us to OKC. At first I was going to take the lay-off package and look for other employment. However, since jobs are so hard to find these days, and since my company made me an offer i couldn't refuse, I decided to go for it. The city I plan to live is called Edmond. I hope being African American, that I would fit in. I am originally from Los Angeles, but i've been living in Las Vegas for the past 10 years. Reading the messages about OKC made me feel a lot better about making this move. Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Helecia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdickens View Post
I want to thank all of the people who made me feel good about moving to Oklahoma City. I am a single women, and my job is moving a few of us to OKC. At first I was going to take the lay-off package and look for other employment. However, since jobs are so hard to find these days, and since my company made me an offer i couldn't refuse, I decided to go for it. The city I plan to live is called Edmond. I hope being African American, that I would fit in. I am originally from Los Angeles, but i've been living in Las Vegas for the past 10 years. Reading the messages about OKC made me feel a lot better about making this move. Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Helecia
Hey Helecia,

Welcome to the forum and OKC. If you have any specific questions, just ask. I'm not real familiar with Edmond, but I have read a lot of good things about the town on the forum.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 AM

498 posts, read 1,605,672 times
Edmond is a beautiful suburb. I was born and raised there. I miss it dearly.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
I'm not sure how being African American would fit it Edmond. From my limited observation, Edmond does seem to have a lot of transplants to the Oklahoma area.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM

61 posts, read 261,006 times
Helecia,

I think Oklahoma City and it's metro cities are pretty diverse, even in Edmond and Nichols Hills, which are mostly populated by uppity white folks, you won't encounter any sort of backwards racism or problems. At least, I'd certainly hope not. You shouldn't have any problems! Edmond is very well developed, and is a college town. Lots of shopping, nice homes/apartments.

The good thing about Oklahoma City is that it's huge - and if you ever tire of Edmond, a change of scene is just a 15-30 minute drive away.

Good luck on your move, and keep cool!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM

CDMOK, you are too funny. I like people who keep it real, you know those good old down to earth people. Not sure Edmond is the place for me, but I will certainly give it a try. The reason I choose Edmond is because that's where my job is located. Coming from the big city, I'm not sure Edmond is the place for me. California is one of the most diversified and liberal places to live. With that being said, do you or anyone else know where the people of color live? I don't want to live in the ghetto, however, I do want to live closer to people in my tax bracket, and people of color whom I have something in common. Got any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM

491 posts, read 1,475,313 times
Quote:
With that being said, do you or anyone else know where the people of color live? I don't want to live in the ghetto, however, I do want to live closer to people in my tax bracket, and people of color whom I have something in common. Got any suggestions?
Congrats and good luck on your new adventure!

Without knowing your tax bracket, it would be hard to say where the others in that bracket are living.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
........... do you or anyone else know where the people of color live?
Mostly they live where ever they want.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:48 PM

62 posts, read 219,006 times
Quote:
do you or anyone else know where the people of color live?
My skin is pinkish and I live downtown, if that helps.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Now i'm really looking foward to moving to Edmond. Moving date is Oct 1st, and I can wait! Thanks for all the great comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City