Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 19,069 times

Advertisements

I am in a position now where I can move to pretty much where I want. I have narrowed down the search to Oklahoma (OKC), Tennessee (Nashville or Knoxville) or North/Central Texas. These are my priorities: 1. A Good school system. My kids are 6 and 8 and I want a good school district. 2. Affordable housing. I would like a house with some land (maybe 5 to 10 acres where I can have some goats and chickens) for under $250,000. 3. A decent job market. I am in law enforecement and would be applying to the local PD.

I have lived in Clarksville, TN, Lawton, OK, and SW Texas. I have visited these locations (which is why I chose them) but don't know the details and would appreciate info from folks who are familiar with these places. I would be living outside the actual city and commuting (Eg: Moore, OK, etc.). Things like a kicking nightlife and great shopping are not that important. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Not sure if I was clear with my intention. I guess I would like info such as "Norman would be a good place because it has good schools and places where you can buy land for under $250,000" etc. Really just trying to pick between OK and TN.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Hmm, there are lots of nice places near OKC for your price range. The problem comes because you also want land. I would recommend places like Edmond, Norman, etc, but I don't know about the cost of acerage. I think that is why more people haven't replied.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,513 times
Several yrs ago my parents were searching for a house on land in the Okc area. They ended up buying 5 acres w/a newer home on it in Mustang. It was around $325k but I'm sure there were less expensive properties available too.
From what I remember of their search, their were quite a few acreage properties on the west side of the city- search Mustang, Tuttle, Newcastle, Yukon, Peidmont and Deer Creek.
Norman and Edmond will more than likely be more expensive.
You may find some acreage on the east side as well like Arcadia, parts of Midwest City and Choctaw.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 11,263 times
I moved here from Maryland two years ago. The housing and gas are cheap. That is it. Taxes are high, insurance is high, crime is high, lousey grocery stores. Other drivers will run you off the road if they can.
The weather in the spring is like nowheres else, lightney and thunder.
If you check the schools they are ranked low in the country.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM

7 posts, read 13,656 times
Taxes are high? CNNMoney ranked Oklahoma as the 6th lowest taxed state.
Crime is high? From the Census, Maryland has 679 violent crimes per 100,000, Oklahoma only has 497.
Grocery stores are subjective.
Lightney? & thunder, welcome to the middle of the country. Everyone around has storms like that.
Yahoo-best drivers: Oklahoma 17, Maryland 40.
Don't listen to Toyota2003, s/he doesn't know what s/he's talking about.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM

I know. I also have lived in Maryland. I guess it depends on what part you're in, but there's a reason why it wasn't one of my choices. Not putting Maryland down, but it's just not for me. Between Tennessee and OK, OK in general, has the better schools. I've been looking at the Moore area and the area South and SE of Tinker AFB. Seems to be decent housing, land and schools in that area.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
West Moore is known to have really good schools, with inexpensive housing.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinok View Post
Taxes are high? CNNMoney ranked Oklahoma as the 6th lowest taxed state.
Crime is high? From the Census, Maryland has 679 violent crimes per 100,000, Oklahoma only has 497.
Grocery stores are subjective.
Lightney? & thunder, welcome to the middle of the country. Everyone around has storms like that.
Yahoo-best drivers: Oklahoma 17, Maryland 40.
>>>>>
<<<<<

True story here.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 13,656 times
Gypsylfe,
I grew up in Moore, before there was anything but a walmart, and it was still a great place to live. If you are looking at acreage your best bet would be something on the east side of town, towards Lake Draper. That would put you in the Moore High part of the district (anything East of I-35). Moore High is the oldest, but it is still a really good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City