Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently at University of Oregon and I need to transfer to a school that offers a good program in Meteorology, and OU is high up there... but I have a few questions....

Please don't feel offended and excuse my ignorance in this post.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, about 15 miles east of the big city in a very affluent neighborhood with top notch public schools. I am almost 20, and I left the Bay Area to go to University of Oregon because of the environmental sciences program but have switched to what I always wanted to do.

Growing up in a place as diverse as the Bay Area, I am quite worried about moving to Oklahoma. I am half black, half German but associate myself as an African American. I was in Germany for spring and summer recently. Perhaps my worry is based on false assumptions.

What can I expect? Is the university diverse in any way? I never thought I would find myself thinking about Oklahoma but because of the excellent program in Meteorology, I have to consider it. I am pretty liberal coming from the bay area, but perhaps more conservative than some folks in SF.

I am also having trouble finding places to live. Is there any good websites that can point me in the direction? I am still just considering this, but I like to be educated about where I am headed in life.

I greatly appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 PM

58 posts, read 146,486 times
I can't help with your housing question, but I'm sure someone else will come along who's more familiar with the OU area who can.

There's no place in Oklahoma quite as multicultural as San Francisco - we don't have anything like Chinatown, with all the neat import shops, for example - but it's more diverse than many other places I've been in the US. You will not be the only African-American or biracial student on campus, not by a long shot. Yeah, there are smaller towns here that are entirely or almost entirely white (As well as some that are majority Native American or African-American), but the larger cities aren't like that. And, if you have a hankering for [insert almost any ethnic cuisine here], you can probably find a restaurant that serves it. (One caveat... don't expect the quality of seafood that is available in a coastal city like SF, Oklahoma is a little too land locked for anything but the catfish to be super fresh.)

Overall, if meteorology is your interest, Oklahoma is a good choice, because Storms 'R' Us.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM

242 posts, read 764,809 times
I'm a student at OU- the meteorology department brings in students from around the country and around the world - a lot of international students come for meteorology. I am white, but I don't think there are any serious racism issues here. If you want, you could contact the OU Black Student Association, to get a more reliable perspective on this. http://www.ou.edu/student/bsa/contacts.htm

Throughout the OKC area it is fairly common to see interracial couples and families. I don't know the racial breakdown of the student population at OU, but it is far from homogenuous.

from OU's website:
"At OU, we are proud of our rich history and culturally diverse student body, representing all 50 states, over 50 tribal affiliations, and over 100 foreign countries."

As for politics, you will probably have to get used to the conservative majority, but Norman is one of the most liberal areas in Oklahoma and is kind of an oddball music-culture-art town like a small version of Austin, TX or Portland. Quite a few hippies and artists around. The population is about 110,000 now, I think, and it's part of the 1.3 million person OKC area, so it's not a small-town backwater by any means, but it's no Bay Area either. There are a lot of California people moving to Oklahoma City and I've been noticing quite a few California students at OU lately.

For housing, there are a lot of rental properties around campus that should be cheap compared to what you are used to. Campus Corner has many older apartment buildings that are walkable to restaurants, bars, and campus. Downtown has some lofts. There are newer apartment complexes near the southern part of campus, where the meteorology school is located. Also a lot of student-only complexes in the area with great amenities. If you do some googling, check normantranscript.com, etc, you shouldn't have trouble finding a place.

If you really want meteorology, Norman is really the only way to go, isn't it?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Both VeraBlue and OU_Norman gave a really good run down.

Racially, you should have no problem. I've spent a lot of time in that area of Oklahoma (OK City to Norman) and it is an open/accepting area of diverse ethnicities.

Politically, yeh, it's gonna be kinda strange for you at first. I'm a conservative Democrat (yes, we still exist in some places in the South), and many, many Okies are similar in political affiliation and outlook. You will experience a level of conservatism that you're not used to, but IMO, it's a good conservatism (conservative on social issues, etc.).

Moreover, don't underestimate the overarching Evangelical culture which dominates everything. On a college campus the Christian influence will be somewhat diminished, but it still is going to be a lot different that what you're used to in SanFran....I can say that with authority as I've lived on the East/West coasts as well. Of course, I see the Christian culture in Oklahoma as a very positive thing.

Just some things for you to think about as you look more into the Norman area and OU.

Anyhow, blessings to you as you make your decision.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 12-16-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Thank you Verablue, OU_Norman, and Bass&Catfish2008 for the informative responses. OU_Norman thank you for going out of your way to make an account and post first time!

Quote:
Moreover, don't underestimate the overarching Evangelical culture which dominates everything. On a college campus the Christian influence will be somewhat diminished, but it still is going to be a lot different that what you're used to in SanFran....I can say that with authority as I've lived on the East/West coasts as well. Of course, I see the Christian culture in Oklahoma as a very positive thing.
Thanks for the tip. I am not very religious though I did go to church occasionally when I was younger.

Its really coming down to University of Wisconsin, University of Washington, and OU.... Thanks again and any more would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Thank you Verablue, OU_Norman, and Bass&Catfish2008 for the informative responses. OU_Norman thank you for going out of your way to make an account and post first time!

Thanks for the tip. I am not very religious though I did go to church occasionally when I was younger.

Its really coming down to University of Wisconsin, University of Washington, and OU.... Thanks again and any more would be greatly appreciated.
Keep us updated. Again, best of luck to you as you make an informed decision for your future education.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Norman Oklahoma is a university town, and like most town dominated by a university, it's not going to be as conservative as most places in the country.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 AM

^ That is true, but its proximity to OKC still makes it a college town? I am at University of Oregon which is in Eugene Oregon. The next biggest city is in Portland OR, 100 miles up the road. Being from such a huge metropolis, I was kind of disappointed at Eugene being "the city" in central Oregon... That mindset has subsided, but I like the convenience of being close to a big city.

Thanks all, and I will likely have more questions if/when I decide on OU. UO -> OU... I guess football wont be the same

Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
..........I am half black, half German ...........
Blarman? Gerack?

Either way, come on down........if you won't be prejudiced about old guys (I'm over 60) I won't be prejudiced about young ones and we can share a beer or coke or coffee or whatever.........and will probably have a pretty good time of it........give us enough notice and maybe we can get some Kiowas or Comanches or Cherokees or Osage or Seminoles to join us............might even find us a white man or two.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 PM

242 posts, read 764,809 times
Quote:
^ That is true, but its proximity to OKC still makes it a college town? I am at University of Oregon which is in Eugene Oregon. The next biggest city is in Portland OR, 100 miles up the road. Being from such a huge metropolis, I was kind of disappointed at Eugene being "the city" in central Oregon... That mindset has subsided, but I like the convenience of being close to a big city.
Norman still has the feel of a college town, especially in central Norman. The edges are very suburban and kind of a bedroom community for Oklahoma City. Central Norman, though, does not feel like a suburb and it is a very active, walkable, bikeable, urban town that is very rare in Oklahoma.

I think OKC will satisfy your needs for a city- OKC is actually doing a lot of urban revitalization now that is in part modeled after Portland, because they are adding a 6-mile modern streetcar in the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City