U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 AM

242 posts, read 661,463 times

Advertisements

Check out this video on the Plaza District- has to be one of the most innovative small business incubators in the US. Three years from total vacancy to being one of the coolest places in the city.

Plaza District '11 | Part 1. on Vimeo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 AM

51 posts, read 409,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
Check out this video on the Plaza District- has to be one of the most innovative small business incubators in the US. Three years from total vacancy to being one of the coolest places in the city.

Plaza District '11 | Part 1. on Vimeo
Very cool, that's what I'm looking for. Young, cool, forward thinkers... and I saw one other black person so I think I'll be alright, haha.

Where exactly is this area?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,196,631 times
I believe it's the area around NW 16th, between Penn and Classen.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM

242 posts, read 661,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS View Post
Very cool, that's what I'm looking for. Young, cool, forward thinkers... and I saw one other black person so I think I'll be alright, haha.

Where exactly is this area?
Debzkidz is correct- look around 16th at the cross streets of Blackwelder, Gatewood, and Indiana for the commercial strip. The residential area popular with people who love Plaza District is generally the area between Classen, May, 16th, and 23rd, including the neighborhoods of Gatewood, Las Vegas-Aurora, and Crestwood. Also the residential area north of Shepherd Mall which was actually one of OKC's fastest growing census tracts in the last decade. Google around for their website which has info on all the businesses.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,744 times
Just like David I too will be moving to OKC. I am supposed to move between now and the 3rd of January. I am from Houston, Texas and if anyone knows some areas I live in the loop off of washington. For those who are not familiar with the area, Washington is a street containing a bunch of bars and restaurants. It is surrounded by downtown, uptown, the heights and the museum district. I love the area. I am utterly lost when it comes to trying to find a place to live in OKC. Please help me.. I read the town names of areas to go but when I look on the map they don't use those names... I have been looking up by Hefner lake solely because that was the only place I have spent time in.

Jennie

Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Yes, I know the area where you currently live. I lived in Houston before moving here 5 years ago. You will not be happy out by Lake Hefner.

Where will you be working? Downtown? If so, you might check out areas like Deep Duece, Automobile Alley or Midtown. Both of these areas are just to the north of downtown and east to I-235. There are cool neighborhoods like Mesta Park along Western, just south of I-44 near the Chesapeake Energy campus. You might also like the Paseo District located just south of of NE 30th between Shartel and Walker.

It might help if you gave us more of an idea of what you are looking for. House or apartment? Own or rent? Cost? What area of town you will be working? Do schools matter? Give us some of the neighborhoods you are wondering about and we can give you an idea of the location and what it's like.

I don't know if you saw this on city-data or not, but here's a link to an Oklahoma City neighborhood map http://www.city-data.com/nbmaps/neigh-Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma.html

Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,161,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
. There are cool neighborhoods like Mesta Park along Western, just south of I-44 near the Chesapeake Energy campus. http://www.city-data.com/nbmaps/neigh-Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma.html
Mesta Park is no where near Chesapeake and is hardly associated w Western Ave. The residents consider Midtown their playground near attorney row along 13th/Shartel. The 'formal' designated west side entrance into Mesta Park starts at 18th or something near that crappy Homeland. Mesta Park doesnt even start as a district until 23rd street or before. The Chesapeake campus is basically situated at the SE corner of 63rd and Western Ave./Nichols Hills, which is way north of target area. No biggie, Just FYI.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Mesta Park is no where near Chesapeake and is hardly associated w Western Ave. The residents consider Midtown their playground near attorney row along 13th/Shartel. The 'formal' designated west side entrance into Mesta Park starts at 18th or something near that crappy Homeland. Mesta Park doesnt even start as a district until 23rd street or before. The Chesapeake campus is basically situated at the SE corner of 63rd and Western Ave./Nichols Hills, which is way north of target area. No biggie, Just FYI.
You are absolutely correct.

After I wrote that, I reread it and thought I'd had some kind of senior moment. I don't know what I was thinking about. I actually thought I'd gone back and deleted that whole part of the post. Obviously, I had a couple of senior moments.

This is what happens when you stop to answer the phone ten times while typing something. My apologies.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,498 times
Jennie,
I, too, recently moved to OKC from Houston's inner loop, specifically the area immediately east of Montrose. Not as cool as Washington street, but a mere 3 minute drive to the Montrose. Mine was a, ahem, so-called transitional neighborhood. I've been looking for such a neighborhood, with no luck yet. I plan to check out the Plaza District after reading this thread. Fortunately, I'm living with relatives and have time to adequately explore potential areas before planting myself.

I will tell you this, Jennie - I miss Houston more than I ever could have imagined. What do I miss? The diversity, the liberal vibe, the quirky restaurants, availability of services, Kroger, wine in the grocery store .... well, you get the idea. OKC feels just so...sanitized. To many that is a good thing, but I miss the Montrose area - messy, unpredictable, progressive-thinking, and great Mexican food.

I grew up in OKC and find that conservatism still rules this city, which is generally why I left previously. I still hold great hope of finding that certain neighborhood with a vibe that fits me, I just haven't yet. I appreciate OKC's clean streets, lack of humidity/giant cockroaches, friendly folks and many other attributes. It just isn't home yet. I hope you too find a neighborhood that you can call 'home'.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM

780 posts, read 1,962,571 times
^^
Can I ask where you are living now? JMHO, OKC is a lot of things, but "sanitized" is not one of them, unless you are living off of 164th and Portland. But then again, I live in Midtown so my view is pretty skewed.

If you want something similar to Montrose in Houston, I would definitely try to move to Gatewood/Plaza Court or somewhere along Western Avenue b/w 23rd and 44. I would even include the Paseo area.

While nowhere near as extensive as Houston, there are options for urban living in OKC. Personally I find OKC as a scaled down version of Houston, with the Inner NW side functioning as our inner loop area and the areas outside of it more or less a typical sunbelt city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City