U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM

242 posts, read 661,233 times

Advertisements

David- glad you're enjoying OKC so far.

It's amazing to think how much better the Plaza District and all the other neighborhoods have gotten since your first post 1.5 years ago. With more people like you moving in, it will only keep getting better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM

96 posts, read 146,177 times
>>>Bump! One of the best threads in this forum. So many GREAT parts of OKC!>>>>

Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 23,397 times
Default Heritage Hills?

I'm transferring to OKC in Dec and need to find something from my location in GA if possible. We're interested in something more urban than Moore, Midwest, etc. Looked at Deep Deuce and I like the walking distance to coffee shops, etc. for my retired hubby, but the rent seems really high. I saw a 2 bedroom 2 bath in the Heritage Hills district today, 200 block of NW 17th, I believe. How is that neighborhood? Any parks, museums, etc. in walking distance? My husband really hates to drive. What about the crime rate there?

Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM

242 posts, read 661,233 times
Topeka, Heritage Hills is an extremely nice area with many multi-million dollar homes and big, old trees. There are smaller homes and some apartment buildings- typically historic 4-unit buildings- scattered around and especially in the east part of the neighborhood (200 blocks, along Robinson) and neighboring Mesta Park. It is very safe.

It is a good location to avoid driving- it allows you to walk to lots of different feeling neighborhoods within a reasonable time.

There is a great park (Mesta Park) that is about a 10 minute walk from there.

Uptown is along 23rd Street from Robinson and west. There are lots of good restaurants (Tuckers, Big Truck Tacos, Cheevers, Cuppie's and Joe). Several more restaurants/bars should be opening in that area by the end of the year (Pizza 23, Grandad's Bar). Uptown is about 10-15 minutes on foot from that part of the neighborhood.

Midtown (10th and Walker) and Automobile Alley (9th and Broadway) also have some great bars/restaurants/shopping, and are about 15-20 minutes walking distance.

The National Memorial and Museum is 1 mile or 20 minutes walking. The other museums are a bit further into downtown.

To avoid driving, it is also easy and comfortable to bike in the area. You can find routes on residential streets that have almost no car traffic and are generally pretty flat. You can reach the Plaza District or the Paseo (art galleries, dining, and shopping) in 10 or 15 minutes by bike. The museums and other businesses downtown and Bricktown would also be a 10-15 minute ride.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 AM

28 posts, read 40,572 times
Default Moving to OKC

Hey guys, me and my partner are moving to OKC from Milwaukee at the end of this month. It's great to read how OKC is really coming along and becoming a great city. We are looking to rent right now and are price range is 1300-1500 a month. I'm hoping we can find a nice place in midtown or the plaza district? Are there any areas or streets to avoid in the inner NW side of OKC? I use google maps to drive through NW OKC and I see many areas that have boarded up houses or bars on the windows and then the next street over the homes are well taken care of with beautiful manicured lawns. I know this is going to be a change from living in Milwaukee and Chicago my whole life but i'm trying to look at this as a new experience.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,787 times
I grew up in OKC and Tulsa before leaving for 20 years! Living in Europe, San Antonio, Washington DC, New York, Denver, even Asia for a few years.The answer is hell no you wont get what you are thinking or looking for like Portland(Awesome place btw). But what I learned is there is another kind of charm and greatness to living on Oklahoma...its country! and apparently you need to get ready and learn to embrace it and it may even grow on you. Hot summers, cold winters and no in between. Learn a new hobby and try to enjoy the country(fish, ATV, boat, hike, camp, remove your front teeth and go visit the locals outside the city(Depew or Bristow)! that should make you feel like your living in a city again,...lol Anyways, its a great place if you give it a chance at make an adventure out of it. If you ski Frontier has direct flights to Denver and atleast you don't have to watch another Trail Blazers game!...oh ya and.......Boomer Sooner!

Old 03-30-2014, 06:00 PM

12 posts, read 16,285 times
Having lived in portland and okc there is no comparing the two portland being a dynamic cosmo geared tword the.pro homosexual lifestyle vs okc just recovering from 50 years of recession dawning only because of redneck oil and gas industry tattered remnants of a once mediocre civillization largely.no sidewalks no bike paths and no darcells just waiting for the obama administration to announce new restrictive regulations on oil pressure valves thus finally ending the reclamation of our once doomed shopping malls.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
Default Cool place to live for young people

I purchased ten houses after living in OKC for a decade. These ten houses were all rented out quickly to young and fun people, mostly employees from Fortune 500 companies, college grades are established. These ten houses are all located in the Zip Code of 73112. North May and NW 50th ST, as north as N Grand not crossing Wilshire, as South as NW 40th ST. As East as Penn, As West as Tulsa ( I won't rent at Tulsa ST). With my experience, these areas are clean, safe, fun, there are restaurants, coffee shops, books stores, Targets, Malls, Home Depot, USPS Station, Hospitals, Lakes, Dog Parks, good schools, Organic foods stores, Sams Clubs, Chick Fill-A's. Major free ways are close by, very walkable, good for biking and running. In summer seasons, some of the houses that I listed for rent had ten showings per day. Some of them were rented out in one business day!

For friends that want to find a good place to live, please try zip code 73112 on the home search. Do houses instead of APT, its a lot more fun to have your own space and privacy. Why rent a studio in Brick Town and paying $1300 a month if you can have a 2 or 3 bed rooms house for 1000 to 1200. You can enjoy breakfast and BBQ in your own back yard. You are welcome to contact me for cool houses.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:40 PM

14,940 posts, read 13,324,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay77 View Post
I grew up in OKC and Tulsa before leaving for 20 years! Living in Europe, San Antonio, Washington DC, New York, Denver, even Asia for a few years.The answer is hell no you wont get what you are thinking or looking for like Portland(Awesome place btw). But what I learned is there is another kind of charm and greatness to living on Oklahoma...its country! and apparently you need to get ready and learn to embrace it and it may even grow on you. Hot summers, cold winters and no in between. Learn a new hobby and try to enjoy the country(fish, ATV, boat, hike, camp, remove your front teeth and go visit the locals outside the city(Depew or Bristow)! that should make you feel like your living in a city again,...lol Anyways, its a great place if you give it a chance at make an adventure out of it. If you ski Frontier has direct flights to Denver and atleast you don't have to watch another Trail Blazers game!...oh ya and.......Boomer Sooner!
But living in the country and small towns is risky in Oklahoma. You can be without power for up to a week, or more, caused by tornadoes or ice storms.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 57,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldue1 View Post
Having lived in portland and okc there is no comparing the two portland being a dynamic cosmo geared tword the.pro homosexual lifestyle vs okc just recovering from 50 years of recession dawning only because of redneck oil and gas industry tattered remnants of a once mediocre civillization largely.no sidewalks no bike paths and no darcells just waiting for the obama administration to announce new restrictive regulations on oil pressure valves thus finally ending the reclamation of our once doomed shopping malls.
Meh - that's a negative take. We're now moving from OKC to London, but we have liked it here. The city has pretty tough weather - it's very cold and windy in the winter. This summer has been milder than the past 3 - those were absurdly hot.

There are lots of great neighborhoods for anyone considering OKC. One, Edmond is far from OKC in almost every aspect. So is Yukon. Don't let realtors tell you that a 20 minute drive is reasonable - and yes, the drive home to Edmond will take you quite a while after work with the bottleneck at 235 and I44 (which isn't going away). If you're hunting a suburb, well, then that's a different story. Consider Edmond, because it's a suburb.

People looking for rentals vs buying - I'm not sure what to tell the rental market. We're about to put our home onto the rental market, even, because we want to hang on to a great house in a great neighborhood in a decent city.

In the 3 years that I have lived here, there have been a tremendous number of locally-owned restaurants and bars in the area - and these are typically very well frequented and supported. A number of different areas are opening up with different vibes - giving those neighborhoods around those places their own feel. We're nearly to the point, in OKC, when every Thursday has its own festival. The Fridays are already locked down and each Friday's festival is awesome (and year round, which Portland didn't support). The third Friday of the month - H & 8th (H&8th OKC) - grew from a few food trucks to a 4 block zoo larger than most county fairs.

If you're moving to OKC, take a deep breath. Wherever you're from, it will be an experience. It's not for everyone, but everyone can make it work for them. We did. And you can reference that pretentious nonsense I wrote so long ago at the top of these posts for an idea of the steepest of expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City