U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,153,497 times
Reputation: 11715

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldue1 View Post
Having lived in portland and okc there is no comparing the two portland being a dynamic cosmo geared tword the.pro homosexual lifestyle vs okc just recovering from 50 years of recession dawning only because of redneck oil and gas industry tattered remnants of a once mediocre civillization largely.no sidewalks no bike paths and no darcells just waiting for the obama administration to announce new restrictive regulations on oil pressure valves thus finally ending the reclamation of our once doomed shopping malls.
I wouldn't know about comparing Oklahoma City to Portland since I've never been to Oregon, but your assessment is entertaining due to your unique phrasing. Yes, to describe the oil and gas industry as redneck is fitting. Funny, but fitting and there's even a working oil well on the grounds of the state capitol. What are darcells?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM
 
695 posts, read 806,943 times
Reputation: 511
I travel to OKC on business several times are year. I have several friends in that city and in Norman (which is the only place that doesn't feel like the rest of OK unless you go to Wal Mart). However, I could never live there. The weather is garbage, especially the summer. Outside of Bricktown, there is very little entertainment, and that can get old fast. It's very sad that the OKC Barons draw only 3,500 fans per game.

The violent crime rate far exceeds that of the population of comparable cities. If you are a minority and/or drive a vehicle with out-of-state plates on I-40 and I-35, better than average chance you will be stopped by the local drug task force or OHP, and every excuse will be made to search your vehicle (possibly with a canine). The criminal justice is one of the most corrupt I've ever seen. State Court judges will bend over backwards to protect cops, sign frivolous search warrants, and allow in in inadmissible evidence at trials. The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals is proud of the fact they uphold so many wrongful convictions. The botched execution this past year was a national disgrace. John Grishman made a fortune writing "The Innocent Man" about a small town district attorney who sent innocent people to death row; and that district attorney (Bill Peterson) walked away without so much as a slap on the wrist. In another state, he would have been disbarred and prosecuted.

If you don't join in with the chant of "Boomer Sooner," worship Bob "Buffoon" Stoops, speak with an east coast accent, are a practicing Catholic, and don't eat fried foods as a religion, you will have a difficult time adjusting.

No matter how they try to posture the city as being some hip, vibrant place, it will never get over being a secondary market.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 08-29-2014 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
I travel to OKC on business several times are year. I have several friends in that city and in Norman (which is the only place that doesn't feel like the rest of OK unless you go to Wal Mart). However, I could never live there. The weather is garbage, especially the summer. Outside of Bricktown, there is very little entertainment, and that can get old fast. It's very sad that the OKC Barons draw only 3,500 fans per game.

The violent crime rate far exceeds that of the population of comparable cities. If you are a minority and/or drive a vehicle with out-of-state plates on I-40 and I-35, better than average chance you will be stopped by the local drug task force or OHP, and every excuse will be made to search your vehicle (possibly with a canine). The criminal justice is one of the most corrupt I've ever seen. State Court judges will bend over backwards to protect cops, sign frivolous search warrants, and allow in in inadmissible evidence at trials. The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals is proud of the fact they uphold so many wrongful convictions. The botched execution this past year was a national disgrace. John Grishman made a fortune writing "The Innocent Man" about a small town district attorney who sent innocent people to death row; and that district attorney (Bill Peterson) walked away without so much as a slap on the wrist. In another state, he would have been disbarred and prosecuted.

If you don't join in with the chant of "Boomer Sooner," worship Bob "Buffoon" Stoops, speak with an east coast accent, are a practicing Catholic, and don't eat fried foods as a religion, you will have a difficult time adjusting.

No matter how they try to posture the city as being some hip, vibrant place, it will never get over being a secondary market.
Generalize much?

Although I have to agree with the bias against East Coast accents. Don't talk like a Yankee and many Okies will accept you.

Oh, and it DOES help to root for the Sooners too. What's not to love with Crimson & Cream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2014, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
15,024 posts, read 13,360,434 times
Reputation: 4593
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
I travel to OKC on business several times are year. I have several friends in that city and in Norman (which is the only place that doesn't feel like the rest of OK unless you go to Wal Mart). However, I could never live there. The weather is garbage, especially the summer. Outside of Bricktown, there is very little entertainment, and that can get old fast. It's very sad that the OKC Barons draw only 3,500 fans per game.

The violent crime rate far exceeds that of the population of comparable cities. If you are a minority and/or drive a vehicle with out-of-state plates on I-40 and I-35, better than average chance you will be stopped by the local drug task force or OHP, and every excuse will be made to search your vehicle (possibly with a canine). The criminal justice is one of the most corrupt I've ever seen. State Court judges will bend over backwards to protect cops, sign frivolous search warrants, and allow in in inadmissible evidence at trials. The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals is proud of the fact they uphold so many wrongful convictions. The botched execution this past year was a national disgrace. John Grishman made a fortune writing "The Innocent Man" about a small town district attorney who sent innocent people to death row; and that district attorney (Bill Peterson) walked away without so much as a slap on the wrist. In another state, he would have been disbarred and prosecuted.

If you don't join in with the chant of "Boomer Sooner," worship Bob "Buffoon" Stoops, speak with an east coast accent, are a practicing Catholic, and don't eat fried foods as a religion, you will have a difficult time adjusting.

No matter how they try to posture the city as being some hip, vibrant place, it will never get over being a secondary market.
Well, lots of Oklahoma conservatives pretty strongly feel that the worst crime you can possibly commit against yourself, your state and your country is to use illegal drugs to get high. So the police must be aggressive in rooting out such people and that's just too bad if in their zeal that innocent people must sometimes suffer for it. If it's a fatal mistake done upon the innocent, God will forgive the police for it, for they are devout Christians out there faithfully doing God's work, because, God, too, is quite strongly against the use of illegal drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 AM
 
695 posts, read 806,943 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, lots of Oklahoma conservatives pretty strongly feel that the worst crime you can possibly commit against yourself, your state and your country is to use illegal drugs to get high. So the police must be aggressive in rooting out such people and that's just too bad if in their zeal that innocent people must sometimes suffer for it. If it's a fatal mistake done upon the innocent, God will forgive the police for it, for they are devout Christians out there faithfully doing God's work, because, God, too, is quite strongly against the use of illegal drugs.
Let's see you you feel when one of the innocent people arrested and prosecuted is you and/or one of your family members and/or close friends . . . . and Judge Ray Elliot (of Oklahoma County) gives them a life sentence (like he did for the lady arrested for shoplifting due to a drug habit . . . a lady who should have been in drug court or rehab)

I'm glad you enjoy living in a police and prison state. You have plenty of company among those who help the state maintain the #2 rating for obesity and #11 infant mortality rate . . . . and, let's not forget #1 for female incarceration/#5 for male incarceration . . . making an overall #3 prison incarceration nationwide.

Maybe you should Google the terms "Susan Caswell Dallas Observer." If you don't get upset after reading the series of articles written by that newspaper, then you seriously have some issues as to the criminal justice system. That "lady," a former judge, is an absolute disgrace. Unfortunately after being removed the bench in Oklahoma City, she's now down in Norman plying her deceit, evilness, and trickery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 AM
 
Location: C-U metro
1,366 posts, read 2,734,781 times
Reputation: 1163
@Johnny: I am sure that Stillwater Townie was explaining backward-bible-thumper thought, not being a proponent of such thought.

BTW, according to healthways, we are #10 on obesity in the latest survey. Do You Live in the Fattest State? - weather.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
@Johnny: I am sure that Stillwater Townie was explaining backward-bible-thumper thought, not being a proponent of such thought.

BTW, according to healthways, we are #10 on obesity in the latest survey. Do You Live in the Fattest State? - weather.com
Yay, we are moving down the list!

And no, I'm not contributing to the positive trend one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,311 posts, read 12,211,191 times
Reputation: 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Generalize much?

Although I have to agree with the bias against East Coast accents. Don't talk like a Yankee and many Okies will accept you.

Oh, and it DOES help to root for the Sooners too. What's not to love with Crimson & Cream?
Isn't Crimson & Cream a 60's era rock band?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
469 posts, read 1,350,647 times
Reputation: 295
I'm not from OKC but here visiting and sitting in a bar off 23rd st. I really like Heritage Heights and Maseta Park. I'm in a bar call Granddads right now. Cute little place with lots of stuff on tap. I think this neighborhood is cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,311 posts, read 12,211,191 times
Reputation: 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
I'm not from OKC but here visiting and sitting in a bar off 23rd st. I really like Heritage Heights and Maseta Park. I'm in a bar call Granddads right now. Cute little place with lots of stuff on tap. I think this neighborhood is cool.

To bad you didn't stay after it got dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top