Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 PM

334 posts, read 912,254 times

Advertisements

That whole "interior of the house" thing always cracked me up (though that's where I went for my one close call in Yukon). I mean I get the logic, and it's better than nothing, but really, when you see houses that have been hit by tornadoes, how often did you see the bathroom or closet magically standing intact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,717,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
That whole "interior of the house" thing always cracked me up (though that's where I went for my one close call in Yukon). I mean I get the logic, and it's better than nothing, but really, when you see houses that have been hit by tornadoes, how often did you see the bathroom or closet magically standing intact?
I agree. Everytime I've been huddled with my family in the bathroom, I've always thought "what's gonna happen when the mirror or shower door crashes down on top of us."

Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM

664 posts, read 2,083,390 times
Quote:
How many times have people survived by doing this?.... it work's and as you stated better than nothing.

I have lived here for 17 years and don't have a storm shelter.... though I would like to have one. I have had a couple of tornadoes close to me though. Many years ago had a funnel go right over might work (at the time) and touched down a few miles later.... just last year I had one touch down less than a block from my current place of employment and that same evening had one touch down within a few miles of home.

You can get by without a storm shelter, but I think it would be a wise investment.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 PM

242 posts, read 762,164 times
As indicated above, there are many alternatives to basements that are probably safer. Storm shelters don't even have to be below ground any more, many people have extremely heavy, freestanding safe-like boxes in their garage that serve as storm shelters. In most cases, a central room with no windows or exterior walls, like a bathroom or closet with lots of blankets, pillows, and a helmet will be sufficient, but that's not enough if you get one of the very rare May 3 caliber tornadoes.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:30 PM

242 posts, read 762,164 times
Quote:
Actually, you see this quite often if you look at tornado damaged areas- interior walls remaining intact. Unless it's a tornado far above average strength, the small interior rooms can be pretty safe if you also have blankets, pillows, helmets, etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,717,105 times
When my kids were small they would always put on their bike helmets in severe weather. It would crack me up. Really smart, but they looked so silly sitting in the bathtub with flashlights and biker helmets. But better silly than dead.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM

97 posts, read 367,673 times
I've seen far more detached storm cellars (entrance in the back yard, usually) than storm cellars actually under a house.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,918,018 times
most storm cellars are add ons, they are not built into the house when it is originally built

Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM

177 posts, read 265,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Highly recommended, if you have a fear of flying.

That ain't no joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcYSFDJcPEM

You'd figure that a ' above ground ' shelter would go flying.......

No fun -Them storms

Last edited by Coon dog; 02-21-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,934 times
The reason there are not very many basements in the Oklahoma area comes down to the fact that the frost footing of your home only has to be 18" deep in the OKC metro area, whereas in the north the frost line is much deeper. For example in Kansas City the frostline is 48"... if you are already digging 4' deep you might as well go ahead and put a basement in. Also, in OKC basements have a certain stigma, most individuals knew someone who lived in an older area of town that had a basement built in the 40's and 50's that was dark, musty, wet... well just like most things in the past 50-60 years technology has improved the basement. They are dry, comfortable, and can pretty much be finished just like any floor of your house.

I read the above responses to this thread and laugh. Obviously you are much safer in a tornado below grade then in your bathtub with a mattress over you or in an interior closet. As with most tornados the real problem is not THAT the wind is blowing but WHAT the wind is blowing, that is why you get below grade, to protect yourself from flying debris. Read the NOAA tornado guildlines if you have tornado safety questions. [url=http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#Safety]The Online Tornado FAQ (by Roger Edwards, SPC)[/url]

If you have any questions about basements and thier construction in Oklahoma please call an expert and do not rely on just any random person with a computer to answer your concerns about the safety of you and your family nor the construction of a residential basement in OK. Visit [URL="http://www.basementcontractorsOK.com"]www.basementcontractorsOK.com[/URL] for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City