U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:07 PM

40 posts, read 65,764 times

Advertisements

Hey all, you may have seen my other post on this board, and I have an acceptance letter in hand and will be coming to Edmond! I'm excited but a little nervous… so what should I know?

I'm a Conservative guy, so politics in OK don't scare me… What scares me are tornadoes, and big ol' bugs. So calm my nerves

Also, I don't drink at all… Will that be an issue? I'm 22 and don't know anyone in OK, where can I meet normal folks? I know "bars" are a typical answer, but doesn't work so well for me.

Do alot of churches around have large (in number ) singles, or young adults groups?

I think I might need to get a tad bit more used to saying y'all, although I say it sometimes already.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 PM

540 posts, read 1,011,866 times
I think you will like Edmond.....

I don't frequent the "bars" either, but maybe a bar and grille (bar with restaurant) or a coffee shop may be more up your alley.

The bugs can get big, but it depends on the winter we have just prior. This coming spring I am hoping the bugs won't be so bad as we have had quite a bit of cold wet weather. This past spring the june bugs (June beetle) were about the size of my thumb from tip to knuckle (about an 1" long).

Tornadoes are a part of life here, some places have shelters, a lot don't. Edmond has been hit a couple of times of the last 15 years, but nothing to be afraid of. Most tornadoes are EF 1 or 2, relatively small compared to a 4 or 5... rarely do people die in tornadoes.

There are a lot of Churches around of varying religions. Not knowing what religion you are I would suggest Life Church (LifeChurch.tv) (2 campuses in Edmond, many campuses across the country). It is more lively (up beat music) than your typical church, with many different type of Life Groups.

Why type of activities are you into?

There are a couple of lakes and trails with in reasonable distance if you are into outdoors, running, bike riding...etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,604,655 times
I've never been to Edmond (see on google maps it's a suburb of OKC), but I have been to Tulsa on business quite often. I wouldn't worry about the bugs, or the tornadoes. You will want to keep an eye out for severe weather, but the forecasting technology they have up there (I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) is phenomenal.

I think the National Severe Storms Laboratory is somewhere around there. Where I live I also worry about severe weather, but it has more to do with the severe thunderstorms than actual tornadoes. The wind, hail, and flooding are what I look out for, although we've never been the victim of anything except a hail storm that required us to get a new roof.

I know that I could never survive in Buffalo because of the long, cold, snowy winters. The OKC area has snow, but NOTHING like what you are accustomed to in Buffalo. The Summers can be hot, but I prefer heat over cold any day.

Good luck in your move. It's just a guess but I think you'll like it in Edmond!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM

To address a couple of things:

1. I hate the cold. Can't stand it, so I'll take mild winters where outside is bearable, with the unbearable summer heat any day

2. I'm a drummer, I like hiking, I'm a lousy fisherman, but enjoy it. I really love nature, and I would like to get into cross country biking again.

3. I'm Assemblies of God, but I would be more than willing to go to a non-denominational church, or Church of God, so long as the doctrine is sound.

4. We get June bugs here every now and again. I don't like them, but at least they don't bite. Is there anything that I need to change, like shaking out my shoes or sheets because of that nasty spider, or anything else that wants to kill me with it's venom?

How crime in Edmond? And how are apartments? I'd love to only spend ~$400 a month… Is that reasonable for a 1 br apartment in a decent area? Being a student I'm on a very limited budget… It seems like Edmond is a more upper middle class town, which is great, because I'm Amherst, which is considered the nicer suburb of Buffalo.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,952,313 times
Edmond is probably the "nicest" suburb in OKC. As far as apartment rents go, I can't help you (though I have a 2300 sq. foot house I'm trying to sell ) but there are plenty of apartments around UCO.

Read other threads here about dealing with tornadoes. They are something to pay attention to, but many many people have lived in the Midwest all their lives and have never even seen a funnel cloud (like me).

As far as meeting people, I agree with others that church is the way to go. I'll plug my church - Crossings Community Church. They have a large active singles ministry, both contemporary and traditional services, and solid doctrine. www.crossingsokc.org Be sure to put it on your list of churches to check out.

Good luck, and welcome to Oklahoma!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 AM

522 posts, read 1,055,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK_Bound11 View Post

1. I hate the cold. Can't stand it, so I'll take mild winters where outside is bearable, with the unbearable summer heat any day

2. I'm a drummer, I like hiking, I'm a lousy fisherman, but enjoy it. I really love nature, and I would like to get into cross country biking again.

3. I'm Assemblies of God, but I would be more than willing to go to a non-denominational church, or Church of God, so long as the doctrine is sound.

4. We get June bugs here every now and again. I don't like them, but at least they don't bite. Is there anything that I need to change, like shaking out my shoes or sheets because of that nasty spider, or anything else that wants to kill me with it's venom?

How crime in Edmond? And how are apartments? I'd love to only spend ~$400 a month… Is that reasonable for a 1 br apartment in a decent area? Being a student I'm on a very limited budget… It seems like Edmond is a more upper middle class town, which is great, because I'm Amherst, which is considered the nicer suburb of Buffalo.
It gets cold here but doesn't usually stay that way too long.

I don't know about AOG in Edmond. I can't recall any near OC. Crossroads at SW 89th and Shields would be a pretty long drive but they have an orchestra and drummers are always welcome.

Lots of good churches in Edmond though.

There are cycling clubs and running groups and so on and hiking. You just have to search them out and then find something that suits you.

I don't do any of that stuff with my shoes or clothing and I've lived in Oklahoma a long time. I suppose Fiddlebacks are worst spider but just normal caution seems sufficient to me.

Edmond is pretty safe as is most of the area. $400 sounds too cheap to me for apartment but I don't really know either.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:30 AM

540 posts, read 1,011,866 times
My responses are in bold below...

Quote:

I think it has been colder longer this winter than in recent years... for a short period of time the temps were in the teens for highs. Which may not sound too bad, until you add in the 20-30+ mph winds...

Sounds like you will have plenty of outdoor activities to keep you busy. Lake Arcadia is east of Edmond and has about 9 miles (1 way, you still have to come back) of dirt trails. I road my mountain bike out there a lot when I was younger, my father also ran the trails. He went from being a road runner to a strictly trail runner. Hafer Park in East Edmond has some nice paved trails, as does Mitch park in North West Edmond. Lake Thunderbird in West OKC has paved trails as well, but are right on the lake with no wooded areas to run through..

Edmond Running Club
OEF Home (http://www.okearthbike.com/index.html - broken link)
Bike Edmond - Supporting Bicycling in Central Oklahoma

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Probably only if you leave your shoes/clothes outside.... I live in the country so they are a bit more common. I have spiders (fiddlebacks and tarantulas), scorpions, snakes, skunks, coons, armadillos, possums, deers, and coyotes..

It is low comparitively.... though there are parts that are worse than others, I would suspect it is not as bad as Buffalo, though I have never been there. You might be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment for $400, but it probably wont be in the nicest area of town.

Edmond Apartments for Rent - Edmond, OK on ApartmentGuide.com

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 PM

144 posts, read 346,654 times
OKBound you will love Edmond. It is a great place for singles. I have a lot of single lady friends in Edmond and they hang out at Starbucks and at church. Some go to Life Church other to the Church of Christ. There are many things to do in the area. OKC has the Thunder, so if you love the NBA you will have fun in OKC.

You might look into finding a roommate if you want to spend $400 a month.

Good luck, I think you will find a crowd in Edmond or NorthOKC to your liking. Just get out and meet people. Some people in OKC hang out at the new Fro-Yo places or the cupcake places. There are a bunch.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM

It sounds like it's right up my alley! I'm so sick of everyone here just wanting to go to the bar. And glad to hear that there are singles… Some midwestern cities aren't like that at all.

And I guess I'll have to get a roommate. I've lived in the suburbs and rural places for my life, and I don't think I would take well to a bad neighborhood. I own guns, but the idea of having to keep it loaded and chambered each night isn't appealing to me at all!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM

602 posts, read 1,234,701 times
Quote:
It sounds like it's right up my alley! I'm so sick of everyone here just wanting to go to the bar. And glad to hear that there are singles… Some midwestern cities aren't like that at all.

And I guess I'll have to get a roommate. I've lived in the suburbs and rural places for my life, and I don't think I would take well to a bad neighborhood. I own guns, but the idea of having to keep it loaded and chambered each night isn't appealing to me at all!
I think you will love Edmond, I loved it when I lived there! You will have a difficult time finding an apartment for 400 a month, but you may be able to find a 1 bd for between 500 to 600. You could go cheaper if you did North OKC which is very close to Edmond. Edmond is very safe and a very nice place to live, though it is somewhat pricey compared to surrounding areas. All of the bars in Edmond (except one) serve food and most are restaurant/bar type establishments. There is more to do than just go out though. People are very friendly in Oklahoma, and if you'll be in Edmond there will be plenty of young people, because of the two Universities there (UCO and OC) I went to church at New Covenant Methodist church in Edmond for many years. Methodism is fairly broad, so I think it's similar to being non-denominational and it's a very welcoming place. They have live music and there are a lot of young college students that go there. Lake Hefner is N. OKC is a great place to go running or cycling, and Lake Arcadia is just a few minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City