U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 PM

3,160 posts, read 7,104,716 times
Warr Acres is one place that just needs to let itself be annexed to Oklahoma City. At one point long ago it was a separate town, but now it is completely surrounded. No, they do not have the revenue because people used to go to the smaller stores in the area. The Village should probably let itself be annexed also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:11 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,372,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I'll take a stab at this since no one else has. Hopefully you'll see this.

I can probably give you better advice on where to avoid than better areas. Since many areas of the metro are similar. I'd personally avoid Del City as it's one of the most run-down suburbs here. Areas of Midwest City are nice and there is lots of new retail going up along I-40. But it still has it's bad areas. Also the areas south of I-40, north of I-240, east of I-44 and west of I-35 are generally not the nicest areas. The inner north side is a mix of very nice and very dumpy. So I'd say avoid the inner south side and inner east side (Del City and western Midwest City).

Seems this post at the very first slammed about half the county and they sure were not set straight.........

Old 12-02-2007, 11:29 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,686,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Seems this post at the very first slammed about half the county and they sure were not set straight.........
First off, that post by me was 15 months ago...so I'm not even sure how this thread is still alive in the first place. Either way I'm not sure how you call that "slamming"? I didn't say you were slamming the NW side. All I said was some areas were better and worse than others.

I don't have a problem with you saying it's going downhill, because, generally speaking Bethany and Warr Acres are. But, there are some areas that are still doing fine, ones I go by on a near daily basis.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 AM

1,591 posts, read 4,390,986 times
Folks the OP was trying to get information about the GOOD areas of OKC. I just finished reading over the entire thread. I was expecting the worse but it wasnt that bad. I will admit that many members on the forum do change there minds quite a bit. No worries like I havent gone back and forth also..LOL. But some comments were purposefully mean like "Um...hold...back..tongue"...That didnt help anybody. Then someone basically posted "dont hold back tell us all the bad parts"- uncalled for. Also calling Lake Hefner a mud pit....These comments had no relationship in regards to the thread and wasnt helpful at all to the OP. My advice would be to start a new thread about all the bad parts.

Cheerleaders can be found in many forums on city data including myself. I will add that although I might be younger and others want to believe because of that reason I know less. I would like to beg to differ on that opinion because the city has changed so rapidly in the last ten years. The youth actually allows me to be more mobile giving me a fresh current realistic view of OKC instead of the extremely bad stereotype that older people insist is still alive. I am just more involved with the city in too many ways compared to others. An example would be the ignorance to Core to Shore. If people havent heard of that one....Then they really do not know whats going on in OKC at all. My opinion.

Nameless- You are forgiven....Just kidding.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:41 AM

The city has changed rapidly in the last 10 years, true, but I think the in last 5 years change has really accelerated. I think the younger viewpoint you, Happy, and Nameless bring to the forum is really valuable.

OKC is a really big place too, as far as area. No one can possibly be familiar with, much less drive through, all the different areas on a year to year basis, unless you have nothing else to do.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,686,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The city has changed rapidly in the last 10 years, true, but I think the in last 5 years change has really accelerated. I think the younger viewpoint you, Happy, and Nameless bring to the forum is really valuable.

OKC is a really big place too, as far as area. No one can possibly be familiar with, much less drive through, all the different areas on a year to year basis, unless you have nothing else to do.
Exactly, I've never even been to Mid-Del for anything. The most I've been there is driving through on I-40 like once every year or two. I took my driving test in Edmond and occasionally go by on the Kilpatrick Turnpike. The closest I often get is the Quail area. I've been to Norman for a few OU games. Haven't been to Mustang in two years or so. Most of my time has been in NW OKC, Bethany, and Deer Creek.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM

35 posts, read 106,799 times
I didn't read all the post before I wrote this... But based on what you wrote, I would think Edmond would be the best place for you. But, really, anywhere in OKC area is good!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Hmmmm. Maybe that's why I never felt like I "fit in" in Edmond. NW OKC is nice. I graduated from Putnam City. Yukon is good too. What type of riding does your daughter do? How do you keep your horse in NJ? Do you board or do you have your own land? You might look in the Jones area too.
Hi Peggy. I graduated from Putnam City, too - long ago and far away in 1969!!! I now live in the Washington DC area (yes, it's different) and just started reading about OKC out of curiosity. I checked out those pictures of Lake Hefner (I used to love it, back when it was a huge lake with a rock wall around it - really!! long before it got that fake lighthouse!) Anyway, just thought I'd say hi.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Hi Ruth. I graduated in '66. Funny, I was born in DC and lived near Silver Spring. It was different then and I can only imagine what it is like today! We are planning a trip there in April when visiting one of our sons who is moving to Lexington Park.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,933 times
Red face Edmond VS Harrah

We lived in Edmond for 4 yrs and we thought it was just ok. But when the schools started getting drugs, fights, etc we moved. I wasn't going to allow my kids to get lost in their system.
We moved to Harrah 8 yrs ago, and we love it.
Great schools a few places to just get a few things you might need at the dollar store, there is a grocery store, Country Boy with a deli. We use to have another grocery store Piggly Wiggly(Best Yet) but they closed their doors.
We have a subway, Sonic, Braums, Mexican food, Barb, Calico Joe's(a bit pricey but great mashed tatters, and they just opened a Chinese restaurant. And we have Little Caesars , we have a Mazzio's that is in the town over they do deliver to part of Harrah.
We have a couple doctors office, a hardware store, a small computer supply store , flower shop,and a tag agency.
And donunt place, two of them.
The schools are good, the police take the dogs in at random and sniff the lockers looking for drugs, and yes they have found them but not often.
The schools do inforce a no tolerance fighting esepcially as they get older. If they draw blood they are kicked out.
We have a nice park that a nice trail you can walk on and they have a few events that go on during the year.
We have a couple feed stores.
A couple liquor stores, and phrmacies, and doctor offices.
A couple mechanic shops to get work done on your car, and Howards will take you home if you have no way home.
All and all its a pretty nice town and most of the time pretty quiet.
We have lived here 8 yrs now and I love it.
You can easily find a home with some acres if you want.
The schools go as follow
Virgina smith k-1 grade
Clair Reynolds 2nd -3rd grade
Russell Babb 4th-5h Grade
Harrah Middle school 6th-7th grade
Harrah Junion High 8th- 9th grade (great Principal)
Harrah High school 10th, 11th and 12th
And the high school has a indoor swimming pool.
They allow the student to take swimming in middle school.
Its a nice area.
We like it here

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City