Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,782 times

Advertisements

Well my sisters and I are looking to move to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma! We are in the age group of 21-25 and we would like to know about the job market! We are not professionals but are looking to get into college after finding a job there of course! We are a little afraid about the job market! Are there many jobs opened or up and coming ect.? And if you would please explain why you like or dislike OKC!!! And is the prostitution in that area as bad as youtube make it seem? We are trying to get there by late aug. early sept.! There is nothing here we have one stop light and one store! I am so tired of this and I am really just looking for an way out! Please Please Please help we have been researching different areas and we think that OKC would be the best for us! We just want to make sure we are making the right decision on safety and jobs!!!! Please and Thank you so much for your replies!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 PM

242 posts, read 765,110 times
I think you would be able to find jobs; I would watch Craigslist, Jobsok.com and other job sites for a while to get a feel for what type of jobs are becoming available in the city, to get familiar with what you can expect to get. There are several community colleges and technical schools as well as 4-year universities that would be available to you when you decide to go to school. You should probably visit over the summer to check out OKC and some of the neighborhoods you would be considering.

If you want to be close to good shopping and lots of retail/restaurant/hotel jobs, and are interested in renting a cheap but nice suburban apartment, look around the Northwest side (Penn and May Avenues between Hefner Road and 150th St). The Northwest Expressway from Penn to Independence is a similar area with lots of shopping, jobs, and apartments, with a somewhat more big-city feel. If you want a quirky historic urban neighborhood with lots of young people and don't mind transitional areas (changing from run-down neighborhoods to young professional/artist areas, but still gritty) you can check out reasonably priced inner city neighborhoods like Plaza District (16th and Blackwelder) or around the Paseo (Walker north of 23rd).

If you don't mind being real suburban, Moore and Norman have lots of retail jobs and reasonably priced apartments along I-35, and of course there are the other growing suburban cities like Edmond, Yukon, Midwest City, Del City... Central Norman is another option if you want to keep the urban feel somewhat without being in a big city (although it's 110,000 people, certainly not a 1-stop light town). Your neighborhood really depends on what you want your lifestyle and surroundings to be like, as there are safe and reasonably priced areas all over that all have different benefits and drawbacks.

And as for your other comment, I'm not sure why there are prostitution videos of OKC on YouTube. Prostitution obviously exists in the city and along the major interstates especially, but I think it's pretty easy to live your life without seeing prostitutes wandering the streets.

Anyway, I would say that OKC is about as safe as any other city, and probably a better chance of finding jobs than many other cities.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 AM

236 posts, read 427,502 times
We have a fair economy better than most I think you could do well

Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,782 times
Thank you for your comments and we will have to try to get there during the summer like you said! We are so excited about the move! All those places sound huge to me! OKC sounds like an dream!!! lol! I am so happy that prositution is not an huge deal there! And God any job right now would be great for me, just the thought of having jobs available to me is great!!!! I can't wait to leave!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City