Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 PM

245 posts, read 693,889 times

Advertisements

Okay Y'ALL,

I'm being forced to put rivalries aside, my in-laws live up in OK City and since my wife is pregnant with our third child, we've decided to rent out our house here in San Antonio (where we have no family) and go up to OK City to be closer to her family (which is large and very supportive). I've been to OK City many, many times (we married and then moved to Dallas, and made many trips up since then to visit family). I'm a UT Austin grad, think I will survive living amidst a bunch of Sooners and Cowboys?

My main question though is where is a good, low-crime place to live up there? Since we can't sell our house down here we are going to have to rent up there, hopefully a 3-bedroom house with a den/office (I telecommute and so have to have space at home to work). I want to live next to a library, good schools, and a place to run and workout outdoors. My in-laws just moved a year or so ago from south-central OK City farther north near Lake Hefner. How is that area?

And how are the people in general in OK City? No offense but I've heard there's a lot more racism up there. I have an Ethiopian friend in Dallas who lived in Oklahoma City and never wants to go back because he says he felt too much discrimination (back in the late 90's). My wife is a naturalized American citizen from Mexico, I myself lived in Mexico for two years (I myself am Anglo), and we both speak Spanish at home so our kids can learn it. I also majored in that language so it helps us to speak it at home. But I realize OK City is going to be a major shift from Tex-Mex San Antonio. We have a lot of good things down here: the River Walk, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, near the ocean, etc., etc. Whenever I go up to OK City it just seems like a really laid back and (sorry) boring city. What is there to do as far as entertainment?

We're moving for the sake of our kids so they can be close to family and all of their little cousins. I've lived in Texas for 16 years, and am a little reluctant to leave the state. Good thing is we are renting and I suppose if we don't like it we can move back; but I'm really hoping we feel welcome there.

How are the neighbors, the people in general? We get along great with three of our neighbors here, but interestingly they are all foreign and come from countries where there is a greater sense of community amongst neighbors. Our American neighbors here where we live don't really interact much with anyone. How about in OK City? Is the good ol' American mentality to get to know your neighbor still prevalent?

I've asked a lot of questions, I know. We're just very anxious about moving to a new state. We want to to live in a good neighborhood and in a nice (but not snobby) area.

Thanks Y'all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,448,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
Okay Y'ALL,

I'm being forced to put rivalries aside, my in-laws live up in OK City and since my wife is pregnant with our third child, we've decided to rent out our house here in San Antonio (where we have no family) and go up to OK City to be closer to her family (which is large and very supportive). I've been to OK City many, many times (we married and then moved to Dallas, and made many trips up since then to visit family). I'm a UT Austin grad, think I will survive living amidst a bunch of Sooners and Cowboys?

My main question though is where is a good, low-crime place to live up there? Since we can't sell our house down here we are going to have to rent up there, hopefully a 3-bedroom house with a den/office (I telecommute and so have to have space at home to work). I want to live next to a library, good schools, and a place to run and workout outdoors. My in-laws just moved a year or so ago from south-central OK City farther north near Lake Hefner. How is that area?

And how are the people in general in OK City? No offense but I've heard there's a lot more racism up there. I have an Ethiopian friend in Dallas who lived in Oklahoma City and never wants to go back because he says he felt too much discrimination (back in the late 90's). My wife is a naturalized American citizen from Mexico, I myself lived in Mexico for two years (I myself am Anglo), and we both speak Spanish at home so our kids can learn it. I also majored in that language so it helps us to speak it at home. But I realize OK City is going to be a major shift from Tex-Mex San Antonio. We have a lot of good things down here: the River Walk, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, near the ocean, etc., etc. Whenever I go up to OK City it just seems like a really laid back and (sorry) boring city. What is there to do as far as entertainment?

We're moving for the sake of our kids so they can be close to family and all of their little cousins. I've lived in Texas for 16 years, and am a little reluctant to leave the state. Good thing is we are renting and I suppose if we don't like it we can move back; but I'm really hoping we feel welcome there.

How are the neighbors, the people in general? We get along great with three of our neighbors here, but interestingly they are all foreign and come from countries where there is a greater sense of community amongst neighbors. Our American neighbors here where we live don't really interact much with anyone. How about in OK City? Is the good ol' American mentality to get to know your neighbor still prevalent?

I've asked a lot of questions, I know. We're just very anxious about moving to a new state. We want to to live in a good neighborhood and in a nice (but not snobby) area.

Thanks Y'all!!!
>>>>>>
We have a lot of good things down here: the River Walk, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, near the ocean, etc., etc. Whenever I go up to OK City it just seems like a really laid back and (sorry) boring city.
<<<<<<

Well Partner, with that Texas-sized chip on your shoulder I don't think you'll like Oklahoma too much. Us Okies are pretty welcoming, but we don't take too kindly to folks moving in from out of state and telling us how much better the place they came from is. If you are blind to your pride then I suggest you save yourself the money and not move.

It will be what you make of it. Good attitude = good experience.

If you are a runner, I suggest you checkout the area around Lake Hefner....the lake is a lot of fun to run/bike around.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>>

Well Partner, with that Texas-sized chip on your shoulder I don't think you'll like Oklahoma too much. Us Okies are pretty welcoming, but we don't take too kindly to folks moving in from out of state and telling us how much better the place they came from is. If you are blind to your pride then I suggest you save yourself the money and not move.
Don't have a chip on my shoulder, just pointing out the differences as far as I know them. My main reason for moving up there is so my kids can be close to my wife's family and cousins. We're going to have our third child and it will help a lot to be close to family. If we are going to live up there for awhile I want to make sure the kids grow up in a good area and that they have plenty of activities to do.

Our other option is Dallas, which is a fairly boring city, I know because I lived there 10 years, but it is a good place to raise kids as I am sure OK City is as well.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Don't have a chip on my shoulder, just pointing out the differences as far as I know them. My main reason for moving up there is so my kids can be close to my wife's family and cousins. We're going to have our third child and it will help a lot to be close to family. If we are going to live up there for awhile I want to make sure the kids grow up in a good area and that they have plenty of activities to do.

Our other option is Dallas, which is a fairly boring city, I know because I lived there 10 years, but it is a good place to raise kids as I am sure OK City is as well.
Okay.

Just ribbin' a bit.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:27 PM

259 posts, read 1,069,745 times
I know it's got to be tough moving somewhere that you're not absolutely gung-ho about. I'd love to live in the PNW but we stay here b/c it's inexpensive and close to family.
As far as where to live goes, there's a variety of suburbs that would be a good fit for families.
Lake Henfer is a great area, in the Putnam City school district. Okc has branch libraries everywhere so it shouldn't be hard to find one within a 5-10 min drive of your home.
With a family I'd steer clear of Okc school district.
Edmond is also a great, safe community for kids and has plenty of parks (look up Hafer park- tons of wooded trails).
Finally, you might look into Yukon or Mustang. It's more of a laidback country feel but the school districts are great and there's a lot of newer construction homes for rent. (see Sterling Property Management for rentals in Yukon, Mustang, and Edmond).
Mustang has a great community center with gym, pool, indoor track, huge park with trails and library all together in one central location. (The gym is super cheap- $15/month for residents).The neighborhood behind it (Chisholm trail) connects to the park so you can easily walk instead of drive there.

Good luck with your search- as long as you stay positive I think it'll be a good move. Being close to family is so nice- (free babysitting too) and Okc is progressively changing and becoming a great city to live in.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,720,268 times
We moved to Edmond, a suburb on the north side of OKC, a few years ago, from Houston, and we love it here. The people here are very warm and welcoming. It's a very nice area with some of the states best schools.

I've only run across a very few people who were rude to us when they found out we were from Texas. And that was because they mistakenly assumed that if we were from Texas we were UT fans. NOT. Once they found out we were Aggies, and that we were not longhorn fans, they were ok. Only one person I've come across was just hateful about Texas, and that was someone in a retail business, who did not realize I was not from Texas, and began to bad mouth Texas and Texans. I just sat the items I was about to purchase down, and told him if felt that way, then he didn't need my nasty Texas tainted money, and walked out. Just remember when you're here, you're in their house, and to be respectful of that fact, and you will be fine.

I don't know what kind of entertainment you are looking for, so I can't tell you if you will find it boring. Bricktown and the canal, are not by any means the riverwalk, but there are lots of good restaurants and bars there, and it's in walking distance to the Ford Center where the Thunder play. It seems like there is always stuff going on in the city, but if you find Dallas boring, I am affraid you will not find anything too exciting here.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 PM

46 posts, read 163,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery'sMommy View Post
I know it's got to be tough moving somewhere that you're not absolutely gung-ho about.
agreed. I moved from OKC to San Antonio about a Year and a half ago. been to Mississippi and now in South Dakota. I could not wait then and still cannot wait to get back to OKC. hopefully takin a nice 4 week vacation there next month.

to the op, keep an OPEN mind! OKC is an awesome place! You probably already know, but OKC is a lot bigger than SA with about half as many people. So i'm sure you'll enjoy being able to go to wal-mart on a friday afternoon and not get stuck in traffic for 30 min getting there and not have to worry about struggling through (literally) 1000 people just to get a gallon of milk. Nor your car getting broken into in the parking lot.... couldnt tell you how many times i saw that in the 9 short months I was in SA.

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on.... but form my personal experience, OKC is a great place for, raising a family, among other things. Even if you don't like it at first(i didn't 8 short years ago), it will grow on you!!!!!(Yes, that was a pun everybody)

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 PM

Thanks to the last few posters, very good advice and now I'm even more excited about moving up there. San Antonio is a big city and the traffic here is horrible, luckily I work from home. But there are a lot of car robberies, etc. I'm probably most worried about the possibility of a tornado hitting my home in Oklahoma. But I realize that's a small possibility...

Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,470,078 times
Quote:
Whenever I go up to OK City it just seems like a really laid back and (sorry) boring city.
Thanks Y'all!!!
First, I love Texas' football, especially when they beat OU. Mack Brown is right up there with JoePa, and Coach Bill Snyder. So, let's get that straight right off the bat. We are not all OU fans. OSU, eh, yeah, I root for them.

I tend to get along with other nationalities very well. It depends more on the character of a person, rather than their skin color or nationality. Say hola to your espousa.

As far as being boring, I hope people continue to perceive OKC as boring. Keep it from becoming overcrowded and boring.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
First, I love Texas' football, especially when they beat OU. Mack Brown is right up there with JoePa, and Coach Bill Snyder. So, let's get that straight right off the bat. We are not all OU fans. OSU, eh, yeah, I root for them.

I tend to get along with other nationalities very well. It depends more on the character of a person, rather than their skin color or nationality. Say hola to your espousa.

As far as being boring, I hope people continue to perceive OKC as boring. Keep it from becoming overcrowded and boring.
>>>>>
First, I love Texas' football, especially when they beat OU.
<<<<<

Redbird, my good Friend, THIS hurts my heart! LOL I'll just have to pray for you on that one. Redbird, become a Sooner....come back to the Light. Redbird, become a Sooner....come back to the Light. Redbird, become a Sooner....come back to the Light. *trying to hypnotize you*

>>>>>
<<<<<

As usual, right on the money here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City