Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I just can't help but laugh at some of the comments I've read (some of the comments written by someone who I swear must be smoking an illegal substance.) I mean... wow!

Maybe some of us like to see the positive side of things. I can't help but wonder why you moved back. Seriously, you seem to hate it there and seem miserable.
What he wrote was actually basically all too damned true, but a little outdated sounding like it fits the year 1999 better than 2007. We should be more appreciative of the fact that Oklahoma and Oklahoma City are not as bad and backward now as before 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Smile What Are You Waiting For?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doceddie View Post
LOL,
I happen to love bagels and women among other things, although bagels are less and less now, like to stay in shape.

Thanks for letting me know most of the jobs in OKC are in OKC. lol

Any more info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!
Look, Doceddie. Just get down here. I believe you will really like it in OKC. I have some relatives in the north and south sides of the metro area and they looooooove it!! Every visit I've made to OKC (I live in Texas) has been nothing short of great. You'll get a lot of sunshine, fun, leisure, things to do, and there are opportunities for you right here. And people have told me that it's an excellent place to work and I believe it. Oklahoma City is dynamic and very vibrant. It's a growing area with so much to offer, maybe more than you realize. And if you haven't had barbecue, then please go to the Rib Crib. I like the one on Meridian just south of I-40. MMMMM--mmm--MMMMM-mmmm. You'll enjoy that. I hope you'll try it.

Come on, come on. Hurry. Your future is here!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:46 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,092 times
Default One thing you can bet on...

Is that I would never move to Stillwater unless i had a salary of at least 150,000...Even then...I would hate it. I lived in Stillwater for 3 years. All the kids there get drunk and also get drunk again. I left that dirty town in 1998 and have never looked back. Sad that it has such a bad stereotype in OKC. They call it Stalewater. A pity since it is one of our research institutes. No law school/Med school/No MFA....But of course it does have a good vet school. Someone has to take care of all the cows in Oklahoma.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Look, Doceddie. Just get down here. I believe you will really like it in OKC. I have some relatives in the north and south sides of the metro area and they looooooove it!! Every visit I've made to OKC (I live in Texas) has been nothing short of great. You'll get a lot of sunshine, fun, leisure, things to do, and there are opportunities for you right here. And people have told me that it's an excellent place to work and I believe it. Oklahoma City is dynamic and very vibrant. It's a growing area with so much to offer, maybe more than you realize. And if you haven't had barbecue, then please go to the Rib Crib. I like the one on Meridian just south of I-40. MMMMM--mmm--MMMMM-mmmm. You'll enjoy that. I hope you'll try it.

Come on, come on. Hurry. Your future is here!
Case I think you make some great points!! People do need to hurry up and take advantage...OKC is incredible!!!! Doceddie- you do need to just go ahead and move while OKC is on a tremendous rise. Many many opportunities exist and I think you will find it to be a very very vibrant beautiful city because of all of the incredible projects that OKCers have passed. They have completely changed the face of OKC. I completely agree just make the move pronto!!

Last edited by happytown; 12-08-2007 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Finally got around to reading this thread...

We've been trying to decide which metro we wanted to live outside of.

We were originally leaning towards Tulsa... Mostly because it was in what you guys call "Green Country". I'm from NH... Green is good.

BUT...
Lately due to many factors, we've begun leaning towards being outside of OKC.

The funny thing, is that I found that a few of the negative comments convinced me better than some of the positive ones.
(And judging by some of the DMs I get, I'm not alone in this thinking.)

Go figure?

M.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 AM

52 posts, read 219,280 times
I have lived here almost 2 years now and have driven all over the Metro for my job and can honestly say I have yet to drive a section of this city that I fear for my life. Sure there are areas I would not want to live in but there is no part that is as bad as 38th and Meridian in Indianapolis. Racial tension here is a lot lesser degree than in cities like Indy, Chicago and Cincy all of which I travelled in extensively throughout my career.

As for what areas of the Metro to look at living in depends IMO on what you want out of the area you live in. Norman(SE) is the old suburb and has a lot of nice amenities for the younger crowd with OU there. Edmond(NE) is the new suburb and far to overcrowded for my tastes. Yukon/Mustang(W by SW) is the underdeveloped part of the Metro as it stands right now. There are several things on the horizon for this part of the Metro but about 4-5 years away IMO. One of the main reasons we decided on Mustang/Yukon was the proximity to the Airport from my house it is a 15 minute drive with the worst traffic. Also after looking over the testing scores and sports programs it seems they are comparable to Norman and Edmond programs. The east side of the Metro never was a consideration for us since my Job and airport are both on the SW side of the metro.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:12 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
OkC is a piece of cake to get around in compared do DFW. Traffic is HORRIBLE here!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
I lived in OKC for years and still go back all the time. I agree with Dale, there is no area I would be afraid to drive through or go in to a store or restaurant during the day. There are a few areas I would not stop in at night. There are lots of bars I wouldn't go in. Compared to places like New Orleans, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas (sorry Synopsis) and other cities, I never felt any danger or racial tension in OKC just driving around.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
You'll love it in OkC. Great town with a lot going on. OkC has been moving forward with all kinds of projects. It is an exciting time to live in OkC.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:38 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I lived in OKC for years and still go back all the time. I agree with Dale, there is no area I would be afraid to drive through or go in to a store or restaurant during the day. There are a few areas I would not stop in at night. There are lots of bars I wouldn't go in. Compared to places like New Orleans, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas (sorry Synopsis) and other cities, I never felt any danger or racial tension in OKC just driving around.
You're known for shooting pictures out the car window on your travels...
Might be neat to see those from OKC if you get the chance.
(You KNOW I'm the kinda guy who'd appreciate the effort!")

M.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 12-09-2007 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City