Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,513 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in some property on Baron Fork Creek in Adair County. I would appreciate any information from those that know the vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,497 times
What kind of information do you want? Water quality data? Water quality designation? Aesthetics? What reach of the stream is near the property? I can direct you to information if I had more specifics.

Barron Fork is a nice creek and it has some good fishing and swimming holes. It's a tributary of the Illinois River which is designated under the state's WQS as scenic river. I believe Barron Fork is also designated as a scenic waterbody.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
What kind of information do you want? Water quality data? Water quality designation? Aesthetics? What reach of the stream is near the property? I can direct you to information if I had more specifics.

Barron Fork is a nice creek and it has some good fishing and swimming holes. It's a tributary of the Illinois River which is designated under the state's WQS as scenic river. I believe Barron Fork is also designated as a scenic waterbody.
I'm really not familiar with the area at all. I have some concerns about the impact of large scale poultry operations in the neighborhood since I know there are some around in that part of the world and maybe feed lots. From what I've seen it looks like a county with relatively low population so any comment on the nature of the citizenry would be appreciated, just want to get a feel for the place. I'm originally from Southwest Missouri though I haven't lived there for decades and I'm guessing the population would be much the same.

Looks like major medical services would be an hour or more away in either Fayeteville or Tulsa and I'm assuming most shopping and other services would be the same.

I guess my real question is would this be a good area for me to retire, garden, raise a few chickens, fatten a few calves, fish, hunt and slide into genteel obscurity.

Last edited by Wanderer0101; 07-19-2010 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I'm really not familiar with the area at all. I have some concerns about the impact of large scale poultry operations in the neighborhood since I know there are some around in that part of the world and maybe feed lots. From what I've seen it looks like a county with relatively low population so any comment on the nature of the citizenry would be appreciated, just want to get a feel for the place. I'm originally from Southwest Missouri though I haven't lived there for decades and I'm guessing the population would be much the same.

Looks like major medical services would be an hour or more away in either Fayeteville or Tulsa and I'm assuming most shopping and other services would be the same.

I guess my real question is would this be a good area for me to retire, garden, raise a few chickens, fatten a few calves, fish, hunt and slide into genteel obscurity.
It's a beautiful area and I would definitely recommend this area. For your plans to garden and fatten some chickens and calves it would be perfect. There are some towns where you can go shop and get most everything you need. Tahlequah is home to Northeastern State University, (my Alma mater) and it's the Cherokee Nation's Capital. It's plenty big enough for good grocery stores and shopping needs. It use to be a small town but has grown a bunch over the last 20 years. They have two hospitals. Hastings, which is the Indian hospital and the city hospital.

This area has a mix of people. Out along the Illinois, not far from Tahlequah there is Sparrow Hawk. LOL, it was a hippie commune that went in back in the 60's and there are still people from that commune, I believe.

There are plenty of rural people in the area. So, you'll also have your mix of farmers and ranchers. Oh yeah, and yes, there are chicken operations in this part of the state.

Coming into Tahlequah from the west you'll see the change in ecoregions. As one drives on toward Fayetteville you begin to enter the Ozarks, so it becomes hilly and forested. It's very beautiful!

There has been a lot of flack over the chicken litter waste contribution to the degradation of the watersheds by increasing nutrient loads. This is true, but the water quality is still good. Oklahoma Water Resources Board lowered the phosphorous limit to 0.036 mg/L and that caused a big fight with Fayetteville since they use the river as a source point for their waste water plant. (that's way, way upstream though!) People are still floating down the Illinois and the Barron Fork.

Overall, for the price you'd pay in that region relative to many other regions you'd probably be quite happy. Barron Fork is a great creek as is Spring Creek. Lots of people trout fish in those streams, though it is stocked trout not naturalized.

You'd be close to lots of good things if you choose this region. I'd recommend it for what you said you wanted. Best of luck to you!!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 25,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I don't know much about Baron Fork Creek, although we're working on purchasing property just south of Stilwell (down the road south of you I think). I'm assuming you're near Westville, if not then then information below is probably in accurate.

From a shopping perspective, it depends on what you're looking for.

Stilwell has basic stores like Wal-Mart and the like, as well as at least one Ag/Tractor store (Sundowner Tractor). There is a hospital (Memorial Hospital) in Stilwell as well, although you're much better off going to Tulsa. Fayetteville has Washington Regional, as well as Mercy Hospital, but (as a former employee of the former), I'd suggest going to Tulsa for anything critical. If you're a vet however, there is a decent VA hospital in Fayetteville.

Hope this helps

Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 AM

Thanks folks, I appreciate the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma