Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times

Advertisements

We are interested in 20 acres+ and a 1200 ft house in the area but all the homes are huge! Does anyone there do earthberm or earth contact housing? Do plastic greenhouses survive the wind/hail there?Any interesting web sites for the area? I am jazzed about moving back to the midwest.Any good real estate websites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Hi nocoldiron

Just looking at your location now--so beautiful on the Oregon coast. I was up there in the summer though. Did you live in OK before you moved to Oregon?

Don't know much about Poteau, but I imagine you would have much less problem with hail there than other parts of OK. I would like to have a plastic greenhouse where I live, about 100 miles or so west of Poteau, but don't because of the near certainty of destruction. Also, the weather is too variable and warm sunny days in the winter can cook everything in the greenhouse, even with the automatic vents.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times
Talking Leaving Oregon

Yup,it is very beautiful here,very expensive also.My husband does not care for the gloomy,rainy winters.I lived in Missouri and Kansas more than Oklahoma but I miss the Midwest.I'd still like to know what types of greenhouses they use that survive the weather.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I was thinking about one of those little greenhouse kits garden centers advertise. Their poles would be way too flimsy for my windy location. The professional greenhouses I see use very sturdy supports to build. Then if the plastic is torn up I guess they just put new plastic on. One big grower near Seminole uses metal buildings to grow their plants. The roofs are all fiberglass skylight material. I buy plants from them and it seems to work for them!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:58 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
When I was looking in Oklahoma I used REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale. I found that every house that I looked at had already been listed there. And my realtor was provided with a list of them and showed me everyone, even those of other realtor listings.

I have been to Oregon and have family and friends there. It is beautiful but so is green country, Arkansas and Missouri where I have also visited. We didn't choose Oregon due to the weather and the cost. But also, the big plus here is the friendliness. The winters are not gloomy either. The humidity isn't like the south.

It can get very windy at times, so I don't know about the greenhouses. I see so plastic carports here, so maybe you just need a very strong greenhouse.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM

82 posts, read 276,247 times
From another thread, I received info on 2 sites that proved to be more updated and helpful than realtor.com. Thay are cbtulsa.com and remax-tulsa.com. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
You might also try Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information. Interesting site with lots of fancy features. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:32 PM

82 posts, read 276,247 times
Excellent Site! Thanks A Lot!. Not A Lot Of Lisitigs On The Site But Shows Fsby Not Found On Realtor Sites And The Sales Prices And Estimates Of Value Sure Are Cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma