U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-11-2010, 06:47 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,158,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, that old expression has been around for quite some time. I guess you are saying that Tulsans agree that OKC is a beautiful city with a highly sophisicated, urbane populace.

Yes, I love OKC! The worlds best steak house is there. It is the capital city of the state that I love. OKC has a great downtown. I love it when I am driving into OKC from the west on I-40 at sunset. The downtown buildings just bask in the glow of the golden light.

Yes OKC is a great American City that is on the verge of becoming a world class city. IMO OKC is sitting where Dallas was in the 60s. With the completion of the Devon Tower we will see other companies moving into downtown OKC.

I hope Tulsa can ride on this wave success but we seem to have a mayor that couldn't fight his way our of a wet paper bag. He has totally divided out city. But he will be a one term Mayor and I hope and pray that our next mayor can unite our city. When that happens watch us go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-12-2010, 11:30 AM

4,003 posts, read 4,016,448 times
As a relatively new Oklahoman I think both the cities are great. I've only been in the state 4 years, and I really wasn't even aware there was some kind of feud between the two cities until I came on this forum. I love living in OKC. It has pretty much everything you could want or need from a city, without all the traffic and congestion of some of our larger neighbors to the south. Since I've been here, I've never heard anyone here in OKC say anything disparaging about Tulsa. Most of the people I know here enjoy visiting Tulsa occasionally for a day of shopping, a concert or maybe just a quick weekend getaway. I haven't had the opportunity to spend as much time in Tulsa as I would like, but what time I've spent there has been very enjoyable. It's a beautiful city.

Unread 08-12-2010, 12:56 PM

515 posts, read 462,674 times
This is going to sound highly critical of both cities, I do not intend it to be that, I am just trying to give an unvarnished view of the strengths and weaknesses of each as compared only to each other. First off, both are great cities well positioned to grow and prosper as compared to the rest of the nation. But, that said I have lived multiple times in both cities/metros and there are differences and advantages to each.

My preference is Tulsa but OKC has a lot going for it and at this time is probably the better city for new residents. Tulsa is the by far prettier city being heavily forested and much more hilly. Tulsa has more culture, better shopping and restaurants, all a lot due to Tulsa having more money, especially more “old” money. Oklahoma City has more and better sports and nightlife. Tulsa has the better parks, libraries, and museums. Tulsa is less “country” and isn’t very embracing at all of the western Cowboy culture that is so common in the rest of the state. Oklahoma City does a much better job of being integrated into the rest of the state. Tulsans, while not outwardly rude, tend to be cliquish and can often be very trendy and snobby. People from Oklahoma City tend to be more open and friendly but are more often judgmental and are more often bigoted against races or gays.

Tulsa is less fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian (while still being very fundamentalist/Evangelical ) but at the same time Tulsa is the more conservative city. Tulsans’ politics often have a strong Libertarian streak so while Tulsa is the more socially liberal city they are usually arch conservative when it comes to money and taxes. Tulsa is therefore not a very progressive city while Oklahoma City is actually quite progressive while being very socially conservative.

Tulsa has the worse traffic and streets, but is less spread out so travel distances aren’t as far. Tulsa has done a far better job preserving the older areas of the city. Oklahoma City, part of that western “build it big and new” mentality is always moving outward farther and farther and until recently badly neglected the inner city areas. Tulsa has the larger and nicer downtown, but it is much less active and integrated into the city than Oklahoma City. OKC, being the more progressive city, seems to really want to change and focus on the inner parts of the city, but so far that has only been evident downtown. Oklahoma City is far ahead in current downtown development but it’s inner city is far more deteriorated than Tulsa’s.

Tulsa’s city schools are marginally better than Oklahoma City’s, both are large and challenged urban districts that do they best they can with limited funding. The suburban public districts are pretty comparable. Tulsa has the better private schools. Oklahoma City has a big edge at the college and post graduate levels.
Both cities are very energy sector dependant. Tulsa has a more white collar business and high-tech (aerospace/telecom/IT) economy while Oklahoma City is absolutely dominated by government jobs with some medical science and aerospace jobs. Neither city is a major blue collar manufacturing center. Tulsa’s economy outside of the energy industry is actually kinda rough. Oklahoma City’s economy is far healthier with better prospects going forward.

Tulsa has an overall greater sense of place and community pride, which is often seen as arrogance by people from Oklahoma City. Tulsa has a much more caustic political atmosphere with a lot of class warfare which has led to the city of Tulsa’s government being complete crap right now. Oklahoma City has a great “can do” political climate and people there are justifiably proud of the progress that city has made in the last 10-15 years. But, people from Oklahoma City have a real and somewhat strange need for outsiders to love their city and are greatly offended when people do not. Oklahoma City is the far better run city. Oklahoma City’s prospects for growth over the next ten plus years is a lot better than Tulsa’s. Tulsa is the better city to live in, but, only if you have a good job.

Unread 08-12-2010, 02:16 PM

4,003 posts, read 4,016,448 times
Swake, well said.

Unread 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 48,180 times
I agree Swake. However, I don't see the vast difference in growth potential between the two. I live in OKC (Edmond) and travel all over the country because of my music career. OKC may be better positioned to grow numerically, but Tulsa has just as much potential to further develop its core positive attributes as OKC does. As you know, mass isn't everything. After all.... both Detroit and Cleveland are "bigger" than OKC and I wouldn't ever consider living in either place.

Unread 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,158,724 times
Swake, very well said. The biggest problem Tulsa faces is our mayor. We have a loose nut at the wheel!

Unread 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,745,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Swake, very well said. The biggest problem Tulsa faces is our mayor. We have a loose nut at the wheel!
I need to hire that guy to make my posts.

I would agree with everything he said except for the idea that OKC needs everybody to "love our city". I think people in OKC are sensitive to criticism because they get a healthy dose of it from Texas people. I don't think they are threatened by criticism from Tulsa people because they perceive Tulsa people to be fellow Okies.

As far as Tulsa goes, I've always felt it is a shame that they didn't get a major state university. To me that is all that is missing there.

Unread 08-12-2010, 06:52 PM

137 posts, read 299,761 times
I do a lot of business in both cities and as such I have spent a lot of time in Oklahoma. From a technical outsider’s perspective, I agree with Swake.

One thing I have noticed about Tulsa that I love is this more organic type attitude toward growth. They’re okay if it happens but not really overly worried if it doesn’t. I love Tulsa, the people, the vibe and the topography. I don’t know if guys realize it but you some of the most beautiful housing stock, both old and new of any place in this part of the country and I would put up that area south of Utica Square against any place.

If you ever get a chance to drive through Old Preston Hollow when you are in Dallas, I think you will find it very similar to that area of Tulsa, although we haven’t preserved as much of our classic architecture as you have.

That being said, what’s up with those roads in south Tulsa? All the two lane roads and those big intersections that lead to two lane roads. It’s like a drag race every time the light turns green.

As far as Oklahoma City is concerned, I like it okay; it’s just very different from Tulsa and Dallas. It has a lot going for it and they are making great strides downtown. However, everyone I know from there wants OKC to be something else other than what it is, and I mean they desperately want it.

As far as Texans criticizing OKC, there might be few that do it to get a rise out of you, but honestly and don’t take this wrong, for most Texans, OKC isn’t even on their radar. It’s only on mine because I am up there so much.

All in all I like OKC but I could live in Tulsa, except for the income tax thing.

Unread 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM

100 posts, read 158,549 times
Thanks Howest2008 for you post! lol, its interesting to see OKC and Tulsa as major cities striving to win the crown. I see Tulsa black north side more attractive and less crime, than OKC's country looking east and northeast side, no offense. Which city is more ahead? OKC just seem to have something, that's more appealing, than Tulsa and its more centralized and not surrounded by toll rolls, OKC is more open, western and southern, but no zoning.

Unread 08-12-2010, 09:01 PM

5,431 posts, read 5,093,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
Thanks Howest2008 for you post! lol, its interesting to see OKC and Tulsa as major cities striving to win the crown. I see Tulsa black north side more attractive and less crime, than OKC's country looking east and northeast side, no offense. Which city is more ahead? OKC just seem to have something, that's more appealing, than Tulsa and its more centralized and not surrounded by toll rolls, OKC is more open, western and southern, but no zoning.
Tulsa has more crime than OKC , but you spot on about OKC having
a little more Urban Vibe than Tulsa Oklahoma. People from Tulsa
make the big time more than OKC , and I'm talking about AA Peep's
like James Quick Tillis almost World Champion in Boxing...The GAP
Band which sold a truck load of records..Charlie Wilson went solo..
and is doing pretty good....Alfie Woodard is doing great as a award
winning Movie Star and Television Actress Star......And The Greatest
AA Achievement In OKLAHOMA Is The Nationwide and somewhat
Worldwide Rep That Tulsa BLACK WALL STREET had in the 1920's
I'm giving you a LINK BELOW.....

The Black Wall Street
Greenwood, Tulsa, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma